• May 07, 2024, 10:54:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Custom Settings For Newbie?  (Read 1826 times)

KrazyEd

• View Profile
Re: Custom Settings For Newbie?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2019, 02:00:26 AM »

I pretty much agree with Don Tom for custom.
I use my custom more as an ECO mode.
20% trailing throttle regen
100% Braking regen
I set torque to ZERO which seems to be similar, maybe a bit less than ECO
Then set speed to whatever I feel I will be doing on the Freeway, usually around 85 mph.
My 2016 SR seems to switch modes much more quickly than my 2014
2016 will do 60 mph.
2014 may be a little lower, will have to check
If you KNOW that you will be switching modes and are above 60 mph,
just hit the mode you wish then roll off until you hit 60 mph or you see
the mode stop flashing. If below, just hit the mode you wish and roll off.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2019, 03:43:25 AM »

Today, I decided to change the way I ride these electric bikes. In the Energica section here, I used to complain about the SS9 having too much deceleration regen at the lowest regen setting for hilly freeways, so I kept it off. Then a couple of people mentioned that they always keep the regen on the very max for all riding and then get zero regen as wanted by using the throttle. I tried it today and I liked it, just had to get used to it, which only takes minutes.

So then, I decided to try something similar on my Zero SR. It also works well, I just simply reduce the throttle  little instead of all the way back going down hill. That way, I decide exactly how much deceleration regen I want for every hill. The exact spot with no regen can be seen on the Zero screen. No positive and no negative bars  gives the min regen of 0%.

So I changed my Zero SR settings  today, and  I can use custom mode for all my riding and now it won't be such a big jump between how I ride my SS9 and Zero SR.

Here is how I set my Zero SR and I think I will leave it this way from now on:

Deceleration regen=66%
Braaking regen=100%
Torque= 90%
Top  speed-85 MPH

I simply will not release the throttle all the way back when going down hill from now on and coast as well as ever.

-Don-  (recharging Zero SR for free in Rocklin, CA at 6.4 KW)
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2019, 04:38:33 AM »

I was wondering if floating the throttle position worked as coast, but I'm unsure.  I'm using slightly more energy that way.  But in tight corners, it gives much more control.

With 100% braking regen, I was still getting a stutter when I used the brakes down my hill, so I've kept it set lower.

I've now driven my Zero over a thousand miles!

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2019, 07:03:58 AM »

Yeah, Zero’s throttle has a neutral position just above the rest stop.

It’s just a little tiring to use if you coast a lot, hence the neutral Regen setting often being low or zero.

Use what works for you. Hopefully we’ll get better options at some point.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2019, 08:38:36 AM »

I was wondering if floating the throttle position worked as coast, but I'm unsure.
I cannot see any technical reason for any disadvantage, just a different way to gain more control over regen. Like Brian said, it could be more tiring to hold it exactly at zero, but I don't think I will have a problem with that. Besides, it doesn't have to be at zero, just release the throttle a bit to go down hill until you're at the wanted speed. Just don't fully release unless you need to slow very quickly.

BTW, I hear my next Tesla OTA FW update (perhaps ready now, I have not checked as I rarely drive it when the weather is good) will have what they call "single pedal driving" as a selectable  option. There will be so much low speed regen that the car will come to a complete stop at a stop sign without touching the brake. So I perhaps will set all my electric vehicles for the high regen and get used to rarely letting go of the pedal or throttle unless I need to stop or slow down very fast.  I just hope I can remember to use the brake when I drive one of my ICE vehicles! :)
With 100% braking regen, I was still getting a stutter when I used the brakes down my hill, so I've kept it set lower.
I wonder what is causing that.
I've now driven my Zero over a thousand miles!
Have you ridden to Scott's Valley to see where your bike was made?  I have never been to the factory, but I have been in Scott's Valley (as well as Santa Cruz) many times but not for several years.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2019, 10:06:50 AM »

I've disliked single-pedal driving as it seems to encourage me to always be accellerating or stopping, with little space for float.

So single-control on the bike I don't like so much, either.

I've never really looked for the Zero factory.  It's just a big blue box on the highway, to be honest.  I'm not even sure which one is theirs, it's behind the hardware store somewhere.  ^-^;  There are multiple manufacturers of various electronics there.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2019, 10:55:10 AM »

I've disliked single-pedal driving as it seems to encourage me to always be accellerating or stopping, with little space for float.
That's why it's an option. Not everybody will like or dislike it. I look forward to trying it out in my Tesla, but I cannot say in advance if I will like it or not. It has a lot of low speed regen as it is. I have no idea if I would want more. I don't find it to be a big hassle to use the brake pedal as it is.

So single-control on the bike I don't like so much, either.
So far, I like it on the bikes. But I have not tried it out on my first long trip. I will decide if I want to leave the bikes that way after I ride my electrics back to Reno next week. If I decide to take an electric.  I have a few ice bikes here also, that I need to give some exercise to once in a while.

I've never really looked for the Zero factory.  It's just a big blue box on the highway, to be honest.  I'm not even sure which one is theirs, it's behind the hardware store somewhere.  ^-^;  There are multiple manufacturers of various electronics there.
I think there was an "open house" there a few years ago that many people in this forum went to from the SF Bay Area and other areas. But that was before I got hopelessly hooked on the electrics.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Bass Cadet

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2019, 01:12:10 AM »

I've been trying out the custom with 20% regen, 100% brake regen. I like the coasting at times but prefer more throttle control. I do like single pedal driving on my Kia Soul EV, so I will give Don's new custom settings a try. I still find ECO useful, for example yesterday I got caught in some rain.

BC

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2019, 01:23:10 AM »

I've been trying out the custom with 20% regen, 100% brake regen. I like the coasting at times but prefer more throttle control. I do like single pedal driving on my Kia Soul EV, so I will give Don's new custom settings a try. I still find ECO useful, for example yesterday I got caught in some rain.BC
Yeah, you have the right idea. I would do the same in the rain. But I will now always keep my Zeros in custom for all my normal riding. I have the same regen in custom as in eco mode, but with a lot more power and higher top speed. I have no reason to change modes for anywhere other than for rain where I would want a lot less torque.

This way, I am probably getting a few more feet of range from the better regen as needed, yet I can also coast when that is a better advantage than regen.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2019, 01:46:40 AM »

Maybe when I get better.  Right now if I do that my regen is stuttery.  ^-^

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2019, 03:55:00 AM »

> ... if I do that my regen is stuttery.  ^-^

I'm right there with you.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/
Pages: 1 [2]