• May 12, 2024, 06:36:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zero fxs left hand brake  (Read 1726 times)

ieism

• View Profile
Zero fxs left hand brake
« on: February 19, 2020, 12:40:20 PM »

Did anyone modify an Fx or FXS to have the brake lever on the left hand? I've been riding the bike a bit more on trails now and I'm starting to think I would have more throttle control that way. I ride my bmx also with a left brake only, so it would also feel more natural.
Any levers out there that would work? I have a brake bleeder, would be a pretty easy mod no?

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: Zero fxs left hand brake
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 01:01:15 PM »

One of the really advanced mods is to reprogram the motor controller so that you have a variable regen control.

I'm not sure what would be needed for a left hand brake, but you'd basically be replacing the right-hand pedal so it should mostly be straightforward.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 09:34:16 PM »

You could get a clutch master cylinder and use it to apply the front brake.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 09:39:41 PM »

Or perhaps you might take a look at motor scooter brake components.  ??? I bet there are plenty of inexpensive parts to choose from at a salvage yard.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Calidave

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 10:32:47 PM »

Yes, I'm an ex-mountain biker and have been thinking the same. I have an FX and did a bunch of research last fall (but snoozed on it). I checked my notes and they point to the brake kits available at stuntfactory.com (Zero did not appear to have any conversion kits). My very rough measurement for the line from left handle to rear caliper is 6+ feet. If you go for it, let us know how it works out. I would love to ditch the brake pedal.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 10:52:54 PM »

You should be able to find an identical (or close to it) left hand lever from Jjuan, Super Soco uses them for their rear brakes. I managed to find this one on their site but no model number to search for to buy it, and it doesn't have the adjustable lever reach despite being shown in the photo (perhaps a front lever blade would fit?).

https://jjuan.es/producto/left-hand-axial-master-cylinder-without-height-regulation-die-cast-reservoir/

I've also been interested in doing this for off road riding, however I'd want to keep the pedal too so I'd need to fit a splitter somewhere.

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 12:19:39 AM »

I moved the rear brake to the left handlebar on my 2017 FX.

This is the lever and master cylinder I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T2HX1GP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The lever on this is not adjustable and although it works fine, it is too far from the grip for me.  I have ordered an adjustable lever that should fit but have not received it yet.  I would like to replace the the stock front brake lever with something adjustable but haven't found anything yet.  The stock lever is really long.  I shortened it so it didn't extend past the bark busters and grip. 

I also removed the ABS and fitted new stainless steel brake lines, which made a noticeable difference in lever feel and brake effectiveness.

Calidave

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 12:59:24 AM »

Cool. Awesome feedback. I'm going to copy all that down.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 01:21:27 AM »

Calidave's comment about the hose length got me thinking, if you're keeping ABS wouldn't it just be the length from the bars to the ABS pump (under the seat somewhere I think)? That's what I'd want to do so the splitter would be right at the pump. Alternatively if you knew you were only going to use the hand brake off road the splitter would go on the line coming out of the pump to the rear caliper. I don't think I'd want to do the latter for two reasons, firstly with a hand lever I'll be more likely to use the rear brake on road (very rarely use it currently) and there may be a chance that in an emergency muscle memory might kick in thinking it's a clutch lever.

Calidave

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 03:35:33 AM »

Good observation. I am not a mechanic, but since I have that measurement in my notes, I suspect one of the mechanics I spoke to asked for it when contemplating how much line to buy. They may have overlooked the ABS component location. I would also retain ABS, even if I mostly ride trails; because it is good to have on the road & easy enough to switch off.

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 05:06:52 AM »

I measured for and purchased a 71.5 inch replacement hydraulic line for my FX.  This is  from the master cylinder/lever on the left handlebar to the rear brake caliper.  Yes, I did have to train my brain to use the lever rather than the pedal.  It does help that it is the same as my mountain bike - which I switched to have the front brake on the right side like my motorcycles.  I agree about ABS being good for street and would probably put it back on if I were going use the bike on the street.

Starpower

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 10:36:25 PM »

You might check out Ox-Brake they make LHB kits for options. I have one on my dirt bike and it is great. But the options above and a tad of creativity can save a bunch of money. I did not go the hydraulic route, basic mechanical can still lock up the rear if needed.
'13 Zero S 12.5 100% Solar charged, '14 BMW S1000R, '23 Admit Jet Armor, '21 Ninja 400, '21 WR250R

Calidave

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2020, 01:04:42 AM »

Further thanks for the above. Appreciate the tips and tricks. Yeah, I'm sure if I make the switch there will be quite a few rides where the right foot will be wondering what's missing, and I'll be crossed up on the levers from my mtn bike experience. . . Good thing I'm mostly away from traffic.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2020, 06:52:12 AM »

This topic does have an unofficial manual article, in case it helps:
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Gen2/Replace_Rear_Brake_Pedal_With_Lever

Please call out specific updates you'd like to see to that article, or feel free to make the updates yourself! Anyone can make an account to edit such things, and modifications tend to need to be written by the people who try them.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Starpower

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2020, 11:50:24 PM »

Ox-Brake retains the rear brake peddle. you can use either..
'13 Zero S 12.5 100% Solar charged, '14 BMW S1000R, '23 Admit Jet Armor, '21 Ninja 400, '21 WR250R
Pages: [1] 2