• May 05, 2024, 05:44:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Charging in winter time  (Read 353 times)

LeRoi50

• View Profile
Charging in winter time
« on: August 20, 2023, 10:18:42 PM »

Hi there,

I recently joined this forum as I’m in te process of pick another bike. Going electric piqued my interest but one thing in particular is holding me back and maybe you guys and gals can help.

I went through the forum but I can’t really find a complete answer.

The thing holding me back is charging in winter time as I ride year round. I live in The Netherlands and it doesn’t really get that cold here. Last winter it barely got below zero C as did the years before.

What I would like to know is how do Zero’s behave in winter, specifically the charging. I know riding will be different as the temperature will have an affect on the range and performance. I read that charging straight after a ride should do the trick, but my commute is usually only about 15 miles (23km)…so will that be enough to get the battery heated enough to take a charge.

If I get a Zero it will be either a SR/S or SR/F and it will be stored dry under a carport with a 230 volt outlet nearby. I do have a garage but it isn’t heated.

Thanks for any help and insight you can give!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 10:27:07 PM by LeRoi50 »

Bodo

• FXE
    • View Profile
Re: Charging in winter time
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2023, 11:21:14 PM »

The battery won't charge below 0°C, but you can drive it below 0.
On my bike, I feel a range and performance drop below 10°C. My normal commute is 2x31km; starting with a full batt @20°C means returning with 28% SoC. Starting @5°C means returning with 4% and having reduced power all the way. Below 50% SoC it won't go over 100km/h.

I'd say driving @20° using the performance it provides @5°C would probably see a remaining SoC well above 40%.

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2023, 12:38:50 AM »

You normally get about 85 miles out of a charge in everyday riding, and under 20 degrees C, you lose about 1 mile per degree.
If it's going to get really cold it won't charge, so keep the bike indoors if possible. Here in the UK it rarely drops below zero but when it does I've made a pact with myself that if I have to scrape ice of the seat in the morning, I'm not going to ride it, so not much of a problem for me :)

Cas :)

LeRoi50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2023, 09:56:56 PM »

Thanks for the replies thus far, I hope I get some more input.

I have to say that last winter the coldest I’ve risen was at about 2 to 3 degrees.
I drive only main roads which are well maintained in winter.
It’s just the charging I’m worried about, but if charging straight after riding is an option I’ll just do that and it should be fine.

Btw, will keeping the bike on charge keep the battery warm. If not why doesn’t Zero add internal heating to the battery.
Pages: [1]