• May 07, 2024, 07:26:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Sevcon-adjusments reset after firmwareupdate?  (Read 810 times)

kashography

• View Profile
    • e-motorrad.ch
Sevcon-adjusments reset after firmwareupdate?
« on: September 09, 2020, 01:46:53 PM »

A Friend of mine increased the regen of my 2016 Zero SR a little and saved that setting on the "Sport" profile. So i can still programm the custom-mode.
He did this with the original Sevcon-software for that controller.

My Question: Does this get reset when i do a Firmwareupdate at the dealer? I would not want that... the standard-regen is just too weak

Has anyone experieces with that toppic? thanks!
  • 200km with one charge (was too easy)
  • 300km in a day
  • 400km in a day
  • 500km in a day (550+km)
  • 600km in a day
    driven in [5] out of 6 nearby countries

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Sevcon-adjusments reset after firmwareupdate?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 08:48:19 AM »

A Friend of mine increased the regen of my 2016 Zero SR a little and saved that setting on the "Sport" profile. So i can still programm the custom-mode.
He did this with the original Sevcon-software for that controller.
I'd only heard of this tweak being done with MY2015 bikes and Sevcon software. When MBB gets a firmware update from Zero Motorcycle software tools the user data gets cleared out along with any OE adjustments to the non-user adjustable profiles like Sport and Eco; both from experience and hearsay.

How to get a Sevcon Gen4 operational:
YAMEB: EtekChopper: Using the Sevcon Gen4 Motor Controller (circa 2013 so kind of old info but still good)

The above strongly hints that the official software and dongle are required to do anything. However there are search results for interfacing with Sevcon Gen4 from the Renault Twizzy enthusiast community as Twizy-Cfg / Twizy interface for Arduino.

Thunderstruck EV has a copy of the Sevcon Gen4 Product Manual (some technical application notes in there actually).

The barrier for entry and experimentation seems kind of steep and the consequences on a motorbike (any vehicle but a motorbike especially so) are quite pronounced.

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 10:59:33 AM »

Just as an FYI, DVT is polish, and it stands for Dont Vaking Tach, so probably best not to touch it...

However if you do, some firmware updates include new sevcon settings, this making it possible that your sevcon dcf could be overwritten. It is best to keep a copy saved for this occasion. This is pro hacker level only though. You can kill yourself and others messing with DVT.

Terry's carpet has a burn mark to attest to it. I accidentally messed up a dcf before racing in ttxgp.... Almost sent the bike out the front wall :) oops.

kashography

• View Profile
    • e-motorrad.ch
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 12:50:25 PM »

My Friend also owns the Sevcon manual, but thanks for linking it. Also he has original Sevcon software with dongle. As i understand, he works with this stuff, so he knows what he is doing. On his Bike, he installed a clutch-lever with what he can control his regen smooth/stepless..

We also did not poke arround with any power-setting. We only increased regen-power and lowered the min-rpm for regen. When you regen stronger, you can also use it with a little lower speeds.
The standard-regen with the s/sr/dsr-bikes is a joke.. the srf shows, that the battery can easily take more, its more a software-thing to limit max-regen i suppose. Zero for sure does not want too high of a charging current with max speeds. But because i dont drive max-speeds, i wont overload it with to much charching-power (i calculated it with the speed i wont go over. we lose our drivinglicense fast..)

So i get your - be careful - messages. You played with the output-power side of things.. we wont touch that :-)

as a software engeneer, i want to get a firmwareupdate after 2 years without one, so worst case i have to go to my friend again. i have a backup-cfg, but i also dont want to override the zero-updates, so best is, to set these 3 parameters manually again..
  • 300km in a day
  • 400km in a day
  • 600km in a day

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 02:33:07 PM »

Bike running perfectly for years? If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Updates pose risk. I wouldn't apply any firmware update to my '16 unless it were fixing an annoying behavior, adding a cool new feature or performance, or part of a specific recall for safety or longevity. After 4 years, the chance of those happening has approached zero.

I could see getting firmware updates for the first year of a new product line. That's about it... Zero is not like Tesla.

kashography

• View Profile
    • e-motorrad.ch
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 02:39:57 PM »

as i said, im a software developer myself. even zero finds out new usefull stuff or old bugs that make problems in certain cercumstances, or updating chargingprotocols to support more tyo2 stations or whatever.

We sometimes fix bugs that are way older than 5 years, and the software normally only gets better, not worse..
  • 300km in a day
  • 400km in a day
  • 600km in a day

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 08:11:51 PM »

I always felt that Zero deliberately reduces the regen drag on their vehicles because they are concerned with rear tire slippage while riding on slippery roadways. Energica doesn't worry about that as I believe they have a traction control system that resolves that potential issue. If the new Zeros have traction control, perhaps the company will increase the regen in the future - if their product-liability lawyers don't get in the way.  ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

reini

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 08:40:57 PM »

I always felt that Zero deliberately reduces the regen drag on their vehicles because they are concerned with rear tire slippage while riding on slippery roadways. Energica doesn't worry about that as I believe they have a traction control system that resolves that potential issue.
They call it e-ABS and it works fantastically as I could already test on damp roads and with the first autumn leaves :)
Energica SS9+
Pages: [1]