• May 05, 2024, 08:12:13 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Side cases and passenger  (Read 877 times)

yhafting

• View Profile
Side cases and passenger
« on: June 17, 2018, 01:59:02 AM »

I have a 2015 SR, that i would like to attach side cases to. If you have experience with having both passengers and sidecases on your zero, please share:

Does mounting side cases interfere with the ability to have a passenger?
- I'm thinking of both the zero/givi sidecases, and other options.
- Are there any particular size constraints i should be aware of? (such as if the zero option is the only one that works with the footpeg positions etc)

(I'm not interested in the weight issues- this is something i can manage. )

skoleskibe

• View Profile
Side cases and passenger
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 02:22:21 AM »

I’ve got a 2015SR with Zero/givi sidecases, and i do ocasionally take the wife (157cm) or my 30year old son (190 cm) for a spin or a regular trip.
No problems regarding the sidecases, nor topbox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 02:29:54 AM by skoleskibe »

Булгаков

• давай быстрее!
    • View Profile
Re: Side cases and passenger
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 05:04:13 AM »

I have the happy trails XU (?) (or SU? can't remember) saddle bag frame mounts, and I have attached 30mm ammo cans, and it works great with passengers. I will make a post soon with details of the build.
2014 Zero 11.4

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 01:50:41 PM »

Thanks, skoleskibe and Булгаков!
This is good to know, and i am looking forward to your details, Булгаков. :-)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 01:02:06 PM »

The Givi E21's / E22's do not interfere, and the Happy Trails rack doesn't have any default fitment, so any case positioning is the responsibility of the owner.

However, I did have SW-Motech Aero cases on my 2013 DS' Givi rack via adapter plates, and those did interfere with passenger's footing. I think larger cases on the Zero sideracks might generally interfere with passenger footing, and are worth a check.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 10:59:20 PM »

The Givi E21's / E22's do not interfere, and the Happy Trails rack doesn't have any default fitment, so any case positioning is the responsibility of the owner.

However, I did have SW-Motech Aero cases on my 2013 DS' Givi rack via adapter plates, and those did interfere with passenger's footing. I think larger cases on the Zero sideracks might generally interfere with passenger footing, and are worth a check.

Thanks Brian!
The biggest problem now would to find a dealer that would sell these for a reasonable price. The quote i got from my Norwegian dealer was at 8989 NOK for the Zero-givi set which is close to 1100 USD, and perhaps a bit more than i expected.

madcow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 12:23:19 AM »

The SW-Motech rack (adpater for GIVI available) is way cheaper. Combine that with buying the cases seperately (or maybe even used) and you'll end up paying a lot less. The givi cases are expensive but Zero will charge you even more than MSRP (for not having to buy everything seperately).

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 09:22:35 PM »

Also SW-mototech has those hard side saddlebags, a bit between a pannier and a saddlebag in.

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 12:24:52 AM »

The SW-Motech rack (adpater for GIVI available) is way cheaper. Combine that with buying the cases seperately (or maybe even used) and you'll end up paying a lot less. The givi cases are expensive but Zero will charge you even more than MSRP (for not having to buy everything seperately).

Thanks for the tip!
I will look into this. Pondering a bit whether it interferes with the topbox or not.?

madcow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 01:23:15 AM »

Pondering a bit whether it interferes with the topbox or not.?

The SW-Motech rack is incompatible with the top case rack from Zero. I emailed them about it. Wanted to go the same route but ended up buying the overpriced OEM side case rack and used E22s.

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 01:44:36 AM »

I have huge boxy 47L Kappa(Givi) cases.  I will say the passenger has to be a woman who might do Yoga to get the leg over them though. Mt wife does it with just a little extra leg lifting.  She had no problem getting on with the Zero 22L or the Givi E360's I have as well.  As far as riding, no problem at all other than the big cases encroach on the foot pegs and can reduce room in that area.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 01:45:38 AM »

The SW-Motech rack is incompatible with the top case rack from Zero. I emailed them about it. Wanted to go the same route but ended up buying the overpriced OEM side case rack and used E22s.

Why didn't you go with the happy trails rack instead? I think it is cheaper than the OEM rack and likely stronger?
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

madcow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 04:25:08 AM »

It'd have cost the same if I had imported it to Germany. Apart from that I wanted to go with the slimmer look instead of the sturdy but big Happy Trails rack. Only going for the GIVI E22s so strength doesn't matter much.

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2018, 10:29:24 PM »

After pondering on it for a long time, i finally gritted my teeth and ordered the happy trails rack with givi adapter plates. I'll buy the givi boxes locally. This way i end up around 6000 NOK (including all taxes), which is  around 735$.

My conclusion was that the SW-motech could not fit along with the top box, and the OEM was to expensive.
Shipping the Happytrails rack to europe is expensive. The SW-motech solution would have been cheaper, but it would not fit without modifications along with the topbox, so i would end up spending more than the OEM solution if i wanted a topbox as well. Add to this i prefer having the orange indicator lights at their present height.

Thank you all for helping me decide :-)   

Pages: [1]