• May 03, 2024, 10:33:06 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Zero FX Reliability  (Read 4739 times)

Skull_Kid

• View Profile
Re: Zero FX Reliability
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 10:24:36 PM »

Just out of curiosity, in terms of pure enjoyment/smiles, how does the Zero FX compare to a wheelie machine like a KTM 500 or 690 Enduro?  Given the choice, which would you pick?

I'm assuming it's very low, but how is the vibration for road use or anything higher speed (60mph)?  That's one of my big issue with the high strung 1-cylinder.  Never tried the 500 but I found the 2015 690 very vibey in the handlebars.

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 12:05:03 AM »

The fx is longer wheelbase than the Sr so it can be argue-ably more stable at speed....

I've had a fx well over 120MPH with the high speed gearing and it tracked much much better than my neighbors huskey 510 at 80mph
And as far as acceleration the fx will walk all over the 510

As far as wheelie happyness.     I'm bias and cannot answer that question as I have been spoiled with riding some very quick electric bikes.....
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

JasonS

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 12:15:19 AM »

120mph??

Did I read that right?  Was that downhill with a tailwind?

2002 BMW R1150RS
2015 Zero SR
Houston TX

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 01:37:38 AM »

That was with High speed gearing is a 25/98 rear.... Not 25/132 and street wheels

it greatly increases speed and I had a 28 or 30 tooth on the front....

I was pretty nervous taking a dirt bike up to thoes speeds considering the husky is all over the place at 80..... The fx tracked straight in a tuck or sitting up, and when I got slightly above highway speeds ~80mph  it was obvious to me it was very stable so I wrapped it out and my eye o meter saw a few cars go by like they were pulled over the side of the road when your going 65+

Acceleration isn't quite there but if your going for range or soles high speed gearing is the answer
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross

JasonS

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 02:12:10 AM »

Interesting - I didn't know the FX's motor/controller had that kind of power.  Aren't they the same as the S from the same model year? 

On my SR, all it takes is a few seconds of keeping the throttle pinned (that few seconds can be spread out over a few instances in a given 30-60 period) and the motor temp light is blinking at me.  Possibly even enough to induce 'reduced performance' (over 250?).  This generally happens near the end of the afternoon half of my commute (if I have occasion to ride like that.)  So, it was already in the neighborhood of 200 degrees.  Actually, that gives me a thought... New thread time!

Was your FX cooked at the end of that 120MPH run?  I would imagine it would take... Gosh, at least 15 seconds of full throttle to hit that speed on that bike.  I'd think if it was already warmed up, you'd be taking it easy for a while after that. 
2002 BMW R1150RS
2015 Zero SR
Houston TX

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2015, 02:29:36 AM »

The fx is about 150 lbs lighter than the S so I rarely run into temp issues, and did not during that instance that I can recall, maybe I wasn't going to look down going that fast no windscreen..... It didn't cut out so I know thermal limits weren't completely shrivel....

I'm working on some new cooling for a controller on a go kart "stealing" a idea I've seen on faster go karts but it won't be "bike worthy" as I'm using a water system and the location on the bike is far from ideal....

Normally the motors overheat before the controllers; ( if anyone has pictures they can post of the go karts at refuel)
You can notice some have liquid cooling and some use a 8-10" radiator fan and then have a "ventilated" motor. These motors with the cooling seem like they last quite a lot longer before over heating. I'm thinking of this to accompany and provide extra cooling when needed but most of the liquid systems (argueably more efficient) only exist in a few bikes .... Hollywood electric has liquid cooled motors.... And other racers have done it. That has its own issues as well how do you stop the liquid from bleeding out the phase leads? That's another reason I'm all for a lightly larger air cooled motor used to 90% of its potential, instead of a still very adequate motor used at 100%
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross

Skull_Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2015, 08:29:52 PM »

What sort of range are you guys getting on average?  I'm mostly looking at fire roads, a little bit of highway (20-30km tops) and then the usual in-town and off-roading.  The most I go on my DRZ is usually 100km but those are rare, usually more around 60km.

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2015, 08:40:38 PM »

The way I look at it your basically guaranteed 30 miles no matter how hard you ride, if your careful you can get 80 miles.... Completely user dependent, if you drive it hard you going to get on the lower end of them at but as far as average, 40-60 ish miles really depends mostly on average speed, higher the speed lower the range
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2015, 08:42:13 PM »

The 16 will get a decent amount more!!!! It has a higher compasity battery.....
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross

Xenoilphobe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2015, 05:17:18 AM »

I love my 2013, stole if for ~$6K as a demo with 98 mile so it a couple of months ago.  I already have 500 miles just riding around my neighborhood and trails.  I love this bike. 
2013 FX 5.7 , 2014 Tesla P85+ (His), 2013 Tesla P85 (hers)

steven_first

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2015, 04:13:00 PM »

The way I look at it your basically guaranteed 30 miles no matter how hard you ride, if your careful you can get 80 miles.... Completely user dependent, if you drive it hard you going to get on the lower end of them at but as far as average, 40-60 ish miles really depends mostly on average speed, higher the speed lower the range

This guy here ^ knows what he is talking about.  He may seem crazy....and probably is but he has an FX with an SR motor and ESC in it. 

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2015, 04:48:48 PM »

Just curious, what do those services consist of? Apart from running diagnostics and a visual check I can't think of anything that would need service.

It's in the 2015 SR manual, also the dealer stated 7K intervals. As far as what they do? Good question, adjust the belt (maybe). Maybe check tightness on some bolts????

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2015, 04:52:30 PM »

Grmarks; looking at the schedule in the manual for my 2014 SR there isn't anything I couldn't do myself in 5 mins until repacking the steering bearing at 25k miles. So that would be the first dealer service. Where do you get 7k from?

From my 2015 SR manual. Look at page 5.2 (the service chart). If you aren't a qualified mechanic (in Australia) you void your warranty. You can change consumable items yourself without any warranty issues i.e. globes, brake pads, maybe a drive belt.
If a bolt came loose and damaged something good luck in getting it fixed under warranty (unless the dealer has done all the servicing).   
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 05:14:17 PM by grmarks »

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2015, 04:55:41 AM »

This guy here ^ knows what he is talking about.  He may seem crazy....and probably is but he has an FX with an SR motor and ESC in it.

Not anymore ;(
But man was it fast :) well quick...
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross

fredx

• Boulder, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2015, 07:55:38 AM »

I bought my 2013 FX used with 1030 miles on it in early January of this year (from Wind_Rider, who may still be reading this forum).  It's now about to tick over 3000 miles.  The only trouble I've had was the loose drive pulley, fixed with Loctite red and some advice from Harlan (yay, Harlan and Hollywood Electrics!) and this forum.

Regarding the FX, well, ...  I'm 49 years old, and really should stop riding wheelies down the street.  But I can't help myself!   ;D

This thing gives nearly triple the energy efficiency of my Nissan Leaf, and well...  It rides wheelies up to about 40mph.

The back tire is wearing out.  The front tire will last forever; it's rarely on the ground!

Hope this helps,

- Fred
2020 Zero SR/F Premium, 12kW Dub-J charging (disappointed; sold)
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
2013 Zero FX ZF5.7 (sold)
Pages: 1 [2] 3