• May 05, 2024, 05:14:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dual purpose Tire recommendations  (Read 311 times)

untuned

• View Profile
Dual purpose Tire recommendations
« on: July 20, 2021, 10:02:05 PM »

I have a 2014 S and I have recently moved from the big city (100% pavement riding) to a rural setting.  Every outing now includes time spent on gravel roads.  It's time to consider more appropriate tire options.  Most riding would still be on pavement, but I will also access fire roads and farmer's fields as well as the aforementioned gravel roads.  I know little of the topic, but am leaning towards 60/40 or 50/50 tires.  Being able to do light trails would be awesome.  What do you recommend?

Just for giggles, what would it take to have larger diameter wheels like the DS or FX on this bike?  And no, selling the S to get an FX is not really an option unless someone is willing to do a straight trade. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 11:28:45 PM by untuned »

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Dual purpose Tire recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 06:30:04 AM »

As a brand I liked whatever Shinko's I picked up at the dealership, cheap enough and did the job. Dual purpose tires ride poorly over cats eyes for lane splitting and so are not confidence-inspiring. No problems with good pavement though. I have a few miles of dirt and gravel between where I live and pavement so a slick road tire simply does not work.

*edit* looked up: "Shinko 705 Series Trail Master 130/80-17"  mind you that was for a 2016 DSR.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 06:37:18 AM »

I think you can just change tires for gravel, without changing diameter.  The latter is more for cresting rocks and ruts, I think.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 09:24:23 PM »

I made the attached spreadsheet some time ago.
It is not really updated, but it could help.
Zero S 2023, Zero FXS 2016

untuned

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 08:25:01 PM »

Thanks for the input.  I will check out the Shinko tires.  The excel is very helpful; I was not sure how to convert metric to imperial tire sizes.
Pages: [1]