• May 08, 2024, 06:07:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2010 Zero DS upgraded to 61T rear sprocket  (Read 1717 times)

SPD

• View Profile
2010 Zero DS upgraded to 61T rear sprocket
« on: September 27, 2011, 08:13:48 AM »

I was not happy with the feel of the stock Zero Ds.  Spoke to Zero.  Programming of any kind voids the warranty.  Changing sprockets does not.

Just put a 61 tooth sprocket on the rear of a 2010 DS and love the performance.  It feels much more solid with better pickup and a new mid range boost that wasn't there before.  I left the front sprocket alone.

Top speed on 2010 Zero DS with only rear sprocket upgrade (61T) is now 60mph.  That is fine for me and the motorcycle performs much better now, in my opinion.  No one seemed to be able to list the top speed with this change out, so posting it here for others.  Not going to touch the front.  I want 55mph with a buffer and 60mph is a good top speed for my needs.

On a side note the rear chain guide it came with does not clear the chain.  I did not change the front to a 13 that was in the kit, but when I spoke to Zero they said it was not necessary.  Going to give them a call and ask for the right chain guard bracket.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 08:15:24 AM by SPD »

Rewski

• View Profile
Re: 2010 Zero DS upgraded to 61T rear sprocket
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 04:15:08 PM »

Have you noticed any change in range with the sprocket change?

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 04:44:08 PM »

great information. was not aware of warranty issues ! Suprises me that tuning the curve would void warranty ? With sprockets you tune in similar way - maybe not as freely.... I tried the front sprocket and got a good result. Range ? did not notice a difference. Just much more fun of the line.
Based on Zero advise we have started to look at doing the rear sprocket sprocket instead - seems to be easier on the motor for some reason.
Wondering what one can do with the 2010 S as it is belt driven ....

Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

chisleu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 07:57:58 AM »

Interesting. It was my understanding that the zero DS came belt driven to begin with. At least that was the info I got from their website.

I'm a 300lb rider, so I would have to drop the top speed some to accel/battery decent.

gasdive

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 04:59:50 AM »

It was my understanding that the zero DS came belt driven to begin with.

All the 2010 come chain drive.  2011 it's an option with belt standard.

=:)
Blogging my Zero DS from day one.
http://zerods.blogspot.com/

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 03:19:16 AM »

I just replaced the rear and front sprocket on my DS 2010.

Still not tried, but i'Mll also have to modify a bit the chain guard and also need to extende the chain. Is I still not founf the chain link that make easy the chain loop dissassembly.. will see.. anyway i have bought the chain breaker and a have a spare chain.

I think the front is a 13T now and the rear is a 61T. That ratio will be perfoct for offroad use!
 I will also modify the MBB to set max current at low speed to be higher and also to disable the 108km/h limit by reprograming the MBB.

The goal is to convert my DS 2010 into a Offroad with the torque and the weight.

My DS 2011 will upgrade to S model and have more kWh battery.

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 06:12:44 AM »

Hi,
like what your doing, improving two older models. One for offroad and one for street use. Now I want to buy a second one to get onto this.

I just replaced the rear and front sprocket on my DS 2010.

Still not tried, but i'Mll also have to modify a bit the chain guard and also need to extende the chain. Is I still not founf the chain link that make easy the chain loop dissassembly.. will see.. anyway i have bought the chain breaker and a have a spare chain.

I think the front is a 13T now and the rear is a 61T. That ratio will be perfoct for offroad use!
 I will also modify the MBB to set max current at low speed to be higher and also to disable the 108km/h limit by reprograming the MBB.

The goal is to convert my DS 2010 into a Offroad with the torque and the weight.

My DS 2011 will upgrade to S model and have more kWh battery.

Doc
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 10:59:08 AM »

I'm selling my 2010 DS but I will be keeping my 2012 DS to use interchangeably with my 2013 FX for different kinds of rides.

I think I put a 65 tooth sprocket on the 2010 but would have to check that.

Trikester

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 11:09:05 PM »

Changing the sproket is the "easy" way to improove accceleration performances on the 2010 and 2011 without to void warranty ( if still under warranty.. ??? ::) in 2013...)

The second way is to keep actual sproket size  and get better performances is to play with the MBB program and modify the max current value   for the differnet performances stage, just like offthegrid did. this will also improove the max speed a little bit.

I will also play with that. I just bought he FTDI usb to rs 232  interface and will play with the setup of the MBB.

Please do not attempt this if you are not familliar with these kind of programing!

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon
Pages: [1]