• May 04, 2024, 07:35:06 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: zero crash question  (Read 4659 times)

PaladinDT

• I cook and I commute on my Zero S. In the rain.
    • View Profile
Re: zero crash question
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2019, 01:26:11 PM »

Ow.
I've done that and it isn't fun. Wasn't even riding the Tail of the Dragon or nothing cool like that, I was pulling out onto the street at work. Leaned into my turn, hit the throttle just a hair more than I should, vroom goes the back wheel, and instead of low-siding the front twists away and flings me onto the street.
I put my 20-20 hindsight glasses on and saw the curb was soaked from the two-square-foot lawn being watered.
When your traction is in question, slow down more than usual before you enter your turn. If you're not slow enough, either straighten out and break or put more lean into your turn but never both at the same time. Once you hit the throttle too hard in a turn, you are become pancake. It's a matter of learning how to drive the Zero. Also keep your eyeballs peeled for oil slicks and potholes and stuff.
Fortunately the Zero has tougher knees than I do.
2018 Zero S

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2019, 05:10:47 AM »

> ... Fortunately the Zero has tougher knees than I do.

I recommend buying the Zero drop bars. 

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2019, 12:15:07 AM »

Since I put in an order for a DSR, I've been revisiting this thread.

Interesting info in here.

SgtMickle

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2020, 12:03:35 PM »

Zeroes are definitely prone to slideouts and highside crashes such as these, because of their lack of traction control combined with their extremely high and instantaneously available torque. See my latest post about that here. The only safe way to ride these things is in eco mode, which kills some of the fun by keeping the bike from giving you the full power when you crank the throttle.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 12:06:07 PM by SgtMickle »

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2020, 05:39:09 PM »

Zeroes are definitely prone to slideouts and highside crashes such as these, because of their lack of traction control combined with their extremely high and instantaneously available torque. See my latest post about that here. The only safe way to ride these things is in eco mode, which kills some of the fun by keeping the bike from giving you the full power when you crank the throttle.

To say the only way to ride these safely is in eco mode is a bit strong.  I did a low side once on my DSR in my driveway (it was wet from washing the car).  Other than that one miss-hap, I rode the bike for 3+ years in 100% everything custom mode all the time without doing it again.  The low side taught me to pay attention to the pavement before jumping on the throttle and to avoid high throttle in tight slow turns.  You don't have to nail the throttle even though it's available!

That being said, I was glad to pick up traction control on my SR/F, and it is a shame Zero did/does not include it on the other bikes, I do believe it makes the bikes safer for everyone, but the lack of it is not a deal breaker.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

hotrob

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2020, 09:22:57 PM »

I can't help noticing that whenever I read of or see videos of people crashing on a Zero due to the rear wheel spinning up, it always seems to be a DSR which has semi-offroad tyres (or semi-onroad tyres!).  Those tyres just don't seem to have enough grip for road use when the road conditions are less than perfect.  Perhaps the higher centre of gravity compared to an SR doesn't help either?

It reminds me of an event from my teenage days (a long time ago) when I was a passenger in my brother's car and we were following a guy riding an offroad bike, fitted with knobbly tyres, on wet roads (and it was raining).  As the rider slowed to turn into a side road my brother said "He must be mad to be riding that bike on wet roads with those tyres, I bet he comes off when he turns", and as soon as had he finished talking the rider very slowly turned, at about walking pace with the bike almost vertical, and bang - in a blink of an eye the bike slammed him to the ground!  Offroad tyres are not good for riding on wet tarmac roads!

I bought an SR back in June and I've only ridden it in the dry so far, and the rear has lost traction briefly on a few occasions when accelerating flat out in a straight line (with the bike upright so I didn't have any problems), but other than that the Pirelli sports road tyres seem to have plenty of grip.  Those rare occasions were usually the result of a small bit of gravel in the road that I hadn't spotted or couldn't avoid, but the tyres quickly gripped again.  I'm fairly sure that my bike wouldn't have crashed like that DSR did in the videos in previous replies.  (Hopefully that isn't my "famous last words"!)

staples

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2020, 12:30:12 AM »

This is not just a DSR "issue." My FXS loves to break the real tire loose. I've had it happen on dry pavement, wet pavement, cold tires, lots of different conditions. No high sides or spills, but I've gotten very sideways. As stevenh said, you don't need to use the entire range of the throttle all the time. But that does make it more fun.  ;D

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2020, 12:42:07 AM »

I bought an SR back in June and I've only ridden it in the dry so far, and the rear has lost traction briefly on a few occasions when accelerating flat out in a straight line (with the bike upright so I didn't have any problems),
Means nothing, in many cases. I have fallen off bikes that were straight up as can be, and several times.  In fact, I do not ever recall falling off a bike during a lean in a curve or whatever. They have always been straight up and a big surprise. The reason was always found later, such as the time I was accelerating into gallons of spilled oil on the road, with the sun in my eyes,  so I couldn't see it.

The problem is usually NOT caused by loosing traction, but right when you regain it. This is why every motorcycle safety class warns you to NEVER stop a wheel wheel skid. Let it skid to a complete stop.  The way ABS works is to prevent the skid, but that is because you canNOT stop a skid that has  not happened. The loss of traction is not the real problem, right at  the regain of traction is where the bike falls over. Ask me how I know.

-Don-  Yuma, AZ
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2020, 03:44:55 AM »

when you crank the throttle.

Sounds like you need to reprogram your brain as this technique works on ICE but not on BEV.
BEV lacks spool up so go grip needs to be twisted incrementally until the sweet spot has been obtained. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 03:48:37 AM by ESokoloff »
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2020, 04:34:16 AM »

Also, when you're straight upright at low speed you have very little angular momentum on the wheels, which means very little gyroscopic force, so you're at your most vulnerable in that position.

Once you lean, you're forcing the tire against the pavement and are increasing your contact patch.

I may be new to riding, but I know the physics.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]