• May 10, 2024, 09:22:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Brammo sale is still on  (Read 9380 times)

teddillard

Re: The Brammo sale is still on
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2014, 04:27:17 AM »

FWIW I just heard from a friend of mine inside the EV industry who works with and around Brammo and I naturally can't name.  GarrysGhost's comment is complete BS.  Big surprise, right?   :o

chdfarl

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2014, 07:01:54 AM »

I don't see why they couldn't sell motorcycles and drive systems and batteries. A number of motorcycle companies have sold their engines to other companies to be used in a variety of other vehicles. Even KTM sold chassis to Mavizen for the TTXGP. BMW used to use Rotax built engines in their F800gs and so did KTM, Bull and Can-Am . Bimota used a number of engines notably Ducati. Kawasaki engines were used in the T-rex. I'll quit there but you see the point.
It seems like a great business move except that they don't actually build their drive train but the whole package of the Empulse is an impressive product.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 07:13:06 AM by chdfarl »

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2014, 07:37:56 AM »

I might add that a press release by Polaris earlier this year introduced the new VP of their motorcycle division.  There was a single line in the announcement that listed the motorcycle brands that he was responsible for and the last brand listed was Brammo.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MotoRyder

• Riding innovative motorcycle machinery is a passion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2014, 11:57:49 AM »

A Lot of interesting pieces that are seeming to fit together and 'fill-in the puzzle' on the recent curtailed activity of Brammo as a motorcycle manufacturer.

However, Polaris is the parent company to two brands which are holding their own as American branded ICE motorcycles, Indian and Victory, and I have read that they a 24% share of ownership in KTM.  Also Polaris has has their own brand of  electric bicycles, the Polaris eBikes, so with the mention that the VP of the motorcycle division is also responsible for Brammo, seems to paint the picture that Brammo is being re-tooled in the fashion of another product line in the Polaris portfolio of Motorcycles.
Traveling by motorcycle, one can experience the true ambience of the surroundings

teddillard

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2014, 08:44:10 PM »

This all got me to dig up my story a few months ago when the "fire sale" was first announced.  Read it here:
http://insideevs.com/brammo-fire-sale-story-behind-story/

I had some interesting conversations with Brammo about it, cited there, as well as pulling from several other sources of actual facts, rather than rumor or simply regurgitating marketing.

I've also been told by Brammo that the 2015 models will be announced "after Jan. 1", which is what they did last year as well. 

All anyone (other than a few people inside Brammo) can say is, time will tell.   ;D

frodus

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2014, 04:35:13 AM »

All anyone (other than a few people inside Brammo) can say is, time will tell.   ;D

Exactly. Until then, its all speculation. Thanks Ted.
Travis

flar

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2014, 06:50:11 PM »

Currently riding: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Used to ride: '88 Hawk GT, '97 BMW F650 Funduro
Other electric motorcycles test ridden: 2012 Zero S/DS, Brammo Empulse R, 2013 Zero S, Energica Ego/Eva
Other EV own: Tesla Model X
Other EV test drives: Tesla Roadster/S/3

MotoRyder

• Riding innovative motorcycle machinery is a passion
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2014, 09:25:59 PM »

Thanks So Much flar for bringing forth this in-depth story on the current status at Brammo.
Sounds like business as usual, but as the article pointed out, perhaps a company with an ADD mindset.
Interesting that 75% of all of the their electric motorcycle sales was in Europe.
However, with the news that Richard and the members in the UK and Europe in this forum have pointed out, EV cycles are embraced more and therefore more readily acquired there than in the America's.
I wish them success, because they truly have great products — From hindsight, paying attention to what buyers want to buy should be the difference that propels them forward into the future.
Traveling by motorcycle, one can experience the true ambience of the surroundings

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2014, 09:57:56 PM »

That is a very interesting article, Flar.  But I wonder how only 50 employees can manage so many business projects and still have enough people left to design and produce new 2015 motorcycle models?  Talk about squeezing blood out of a turnip.  I think the company needs to focus on what they really want to do in the future and go in that direction, instead of juggling a bunch of business balls in the air.  Alternately, perhaps they need to break the company up into motorcycle design and production and create a separate company dealing with EV consulting and similar non-manufacturing endeavors.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2014, 10:16:46 PM »

@Richard I think the number of 70 people was production people only. So they don't include other departments. Perhaps Ted can clarify this?

What Is have learned in my professional life is that Focus is critical. And if Brammo is trying to keep too many balls in the air that they will get hurt. But I trust that they will understand that themselves.

Hocus, Pocus, keep the Focus! Is my motto [emoji11]
Once you go EV, gas is history!

teddillard

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2014, 10:45:21 PM »

Thank you sir - you beat me to it.  :D

chdfarl

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2014, 05:28:40 AM »

I don't see how its a lack of focus to build battery packs and drive trains for Polaris or others if they are building the same for the Empulse. Look at it this way Seven sells to OEMS of various industries but sells units to retailers and there is no lack of focus there. It sounds like a great way to up their own production without worrying that the motorcycle sales won't be high enough. I tried buying a crashed Empulse with a cracked frame off of a guy on the Brammo Forum to use the battery pack and motor in a custom race chassis. I see a big market in custom builds and OEM for Brammo with no extra tooling or even design, as long as use one modular design.
I hear there was a short time when Zero was selling the ZF motors and I am disappointed that they are no longer for sale. Did any of you guys ever buy one, I never saw a build thread on a non Zero with a ZF motor.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2014, 07:37:16 AM »

I don't see how its a lack of focus to build battery packs and drive trains for Polaris or others if they are building the same for the Empulse. Look at it this way Seven sells to OEMS of various industries but sells units to retailers and there is no lack of focus there. It sounds like a great way to up their own production without worrying that the motorcycle sales won't be high enough. I tried buying a crashed Empulse with a cracked frame off of a guy on the Brammo Forum to use the battery pack and motor in a custom race chassis. I see a big market in custom builds and OEM for Brammo with no extra tooling or even design, as long as use one modular design.
I hear there was a short time when Zero was selling the ZF motors and I am disappointed that they are no longer for sale. Did any of you guys ever buy one, I never saw a build thread on a non Zero with a ZF motor.

This bike has a ZF motor, as well as Zero batteries.  Of course, I'll bet the owner knows someone that you don't.   ;)

teddillard

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2014, 05:51:38 PM »

Harlan at Hollywood Electrics sells Zero motors, packs, and complete plug-and-play systems. 

To wit: "I can order all the components though, and we regularly do, for those wishing to have a complete Zero drivetrain for converting their own vehicles. This includes motor, controller, batteries, charger. wiring harness, MBB with bluetooth, instrument cluster, etc. Basically, your options for purchase vary from the basic motor/controller combo to the entire Zero drivetrain."

chdfarl

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2014, 06:09:56 AM »

Richard & Ted that's some great info! I'm sorry for derailing the topic a bit it seems like a modified production EV thread would be fitting for this subject!  ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4