• May 10, 2024, 11:02:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Brammo gets another $12.5m  (Read 3836 times)

teddillard

CrashCash

• Denizen of Doom since '88
    • View Profile
Re: Brammo gets another $12.5m
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 04:48:33 AM »

Other than "DANG! I'm **glad** I didn't buy a Brammo!" ??
'07 FJR-1300 & '15 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MotoRyder

• Riding innovative motorcycle machinery is a passion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 05:11:17 AM »

I see that the local Brammo dealer in the Washington State area is still trying to push out 2013 Enertia and 2014 Empulse R motorcycles...lelft overs from their Fire Sale that the dealer has had on hand trying to sell for sometime. 

Knowing what is known today about the 'end-of-the-line' for Brammo motorcycles, finding homes for those machines will require "a significant reason to buy" (read "drastically reduced pricing") by potential customers. 

I wonder if the Brammo dealers are stuck with the older model year machines, or if there's provisions for returning them to the Brammo corporation?
Traveling by motorcycle, one can experience the true ambience of the surroundings

flar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 06:00:00 AM »

What do you mean by the end of the line? The dealers are still providing service on them and parts will be available. There may or may not be updated models for future model years, we don't know yet.  But, the existence of a new revision of a model isn't a reason to buy or not.
Currently riding: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Used to ride: '88 Hawk GT, '97 BMW F650 Funduro
Other electric motorcycles test ridden: 2012 Zero S/DS, Brammo Empulse R, 2013 Zero S, Energica Ego/Eva
Other EV own: Tesla Model X
Other EV test drives: Tesla Roadster/S/3

CrashCash

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 10:11:49 AM »

Yes it is. As far as anyone knows, these are now pretty much orphan bikes. The parts supply will dry up pretty quick because no new parts will be manufactured. The service & support will get pretty thin as people leave Brammo/Polaris. If you think the smart folk don't leave in droves when a company is acquired and the culture changes, you're dreaming. There will be no hope of any sort of aftermarket. (not that there was much to start with, but this kills it flat)

Granted, that's worst-case, but Brammo/Polaris give us nothing but vague handwaving and happy-happy corporatespeak to go on, and I'm certainly not spending bucks on something that uncertain.

flar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 02:53:52 PM »

Yes it is. As far as anyone knows, these are now pretty much orphan bikes. The parts supply will dry up pretty quick because no new parts will be manufactured. The service & support will get pretty thin as people leave Brammo/Polaris. If you think the smart folk don't leave in droves when a company is acquired and the culture changes, you're dreaming. There will be no hope of any sort of aftermarket. (not that there was much to start with, but this kills it flat)

Granted, that's worst-case, but Brammo/Polaris give us nothing but vague handwaving and happy-happy corporatespeak to go on, and I'm certainly not spending bucks on something that uncertain.
Well, no.  That's not as far as anyone knows.  As the company has continually communicated to the owners during this process, all service, warranty, parts and accessory obligations will continue to be honored by the dealers.  This has nothing to do with who may or may not be leaving Brammo, Polaris has agreed to take on the support, parts and service for the existing motorcycles.
Currently riding: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Used to ride: '88 Hawk GT, '97 BMW F650 Funduro
Other electric motorcycles test ridden: 2012 Zero S/DS, Brammo Empulse R, 2013 Zero S, Energica Ego/Eva
Other EV own: Tesla Model X
Other EV test drives: Tesla Roadster/S/3

teddillard

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 04:48:23 PM »

Well, by "the company", you have to mean Brammo since Polaris hasn't communicated anything.  The thing is, it's not their call, anymore, is it?  They can send all the emails they want, and post whatever messages of Facebook, but the bottom line is it's not their business anymore.  Right? 

chdfarl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 10:29:14 PM »

There will be no hope of any sort of aftermarket. (not that there was much to start with, but this kills it flat)

http://www.delorean-parts.com/
http://www.specialtauto.com/
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 10:43:13 PM by chdfarl »

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 05:24:17 AM »

There will be no hope of any sort of aftermarket. (not that there was much to start with, but this kills it flat)

I don't think any of those will fit the Empulse... ;)
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

CrashCash

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 05:28:56 AM »

I don't think any of those will fit the Empulse... ;)
Yeah, I didn't think the Empulse could put out 1.21 Jigawatts! :)

peter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 05:41:12 AM »

Can you fit a flux capacitor to an Empulse?

chdfarl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 09:01:22 AM »

The point was that if there is a vehicle there is typically an aftermarket even if the vehicle had a short production run.

CrashCash

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 12:01:06 PM »

The point was that if there is a vehicle there is typically an aftermarket even if the vehicle had a short production run.
Maybe for cars, but in 30 years, I have not ever seen that to be true for motorcycles. A short production run for motorcycles is so much shorter than for cars that there isn't a comparison.

Granted, Brammo didn't have a short production run, but I don't see any aftermarket parts for either Brammo or Zero, and I think we'd all agree they're the two top brands. I'd be glad to see a counterexample.

teddillard

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 02:55:46 PM »

"Brammo didn't have a short production run"

They didn't?  How many bikes total do you figure they built?  Ever? 

Harley recalled over 100,000 bikes this Sept. 

But yeah, I agree.  On the other hand, the parts aren't anything that special, and can be replaced or upgraded pretty easy.
Pages: [1] 2