• May 07, 2024, 10:56:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Great rides on electric motorcycles!  (Read 1166 times)

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
Great rides on electric motorcycles!
« on: June 18, 2013, 10:39:31 PM »

Had a great ride with kcoplan through Bear Mountain State Park yesterday!  We rode up and down rolling hills, to the top of Bear Mountain, and around some beautiful lakes and rivers.  Thanks to kcoplan for leading a great tip, to Rockland Nissan for the level 2 charge and Harlan for making a quick charger!

kcoplan was on his 2012 Zero S ZF6 and I put 137 miles on my 2012 Zero S ZF9 (total for the day).  What a great day for a ride!

Post adventures on your electric motorcycle here, especially with friends!

kcoplan and benswing atop Bear Mountain!

benswing's odometer at the end of a great day of riding!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 12:03:27 AM by benswing »
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

kcoplan

• View Profile
Re: Great rides on electric motorcycles!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 10:46:48 PM »

It was a great ride, indeed!  I am still really impressed how the range on my ZF6 meets or exceeds Zero's advertised range.  Put over 65 miles on the bike on this trip, including some highway riding, climbing to the top of Bear Mountain, and no riding below about 35 mph.  Still had three bars on the bike at the end of the ride -- which would imply that I can get well beyond the 75 mile range advertised for 20 mph city riding, even while riding at decent speeds with no traffic on back roads and parkways.

--Karl

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 10:56:21 PM »

Time to update your signature ben!
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 10:49:50 PM »

Put over 65 miles on the bike on this trip, including some highway riding, climbing to the top of Bear Mountain, and no riding below about 35 mph.  Still had three bars on the bike at the end of the ride.

Wow Karl, that's great.  I want to know your secret.
You did 65 miles with 3 bars left, all at speeds >35 mph.    I think that's roughly 16-18 miles/kWh.
Did you do the whole trip in a tuck?  Have you made any special mods?

2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

kcoplan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 01:38:03 AM »

OK, OK, I was overestimating my mileage, as it turns out -- it was about 32 miles to the top of Bear Mtn, and I thought it was an equal distance back home, but it turns out when I looked at my trip odometer this morning that the trip was only about 52 miles total.  So not quite as wonderful as I thought, but still pretty respectable.   I guess that is still about 14 mi/kwh.   If  you take the three visible bars and add the two invisible bars people around here claim to exist, I would have used about 62% of the battery capacity, so I should have been good for another 30 miles or so, for a total over 80 miles at decent speeds.

I ran in eco mode the whole way, didn't go too heavy on the acceleration, and I routinely tuck whenever I go over about 50 mph.  I really nursed the regen on the way back down Bear Mountain (about 1200' of elevation).  I was riding really conservatively because I hadnt tried climbing Bear Mtn before and was a little worried I would run out of charge before getting home.  Turned out not to be a problem!

--Karl

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 10:54:01 AM »

Yesterday I rode dirt to Eddy Gulch lookout in the Klamath Forest (CA) on my 2013 FX. It was 48.2 miles RT by GPS (not the funky odo on the bike). The climb was 5400 feet to the destination @ 6600' ASL.

I got back with 39% charge remaining and I averaged 70 w / mi. My average moving speed, recorded on the GPS, was 14.2 mph because it was an eroded, rocky, dirt road with some very steep pitches.

I gained a bar on the "fuel" gauge by the time I got back down.

I'll post the results of all my Klamath rides under another thread when I'm done with the riding here. These are incredibly beautiful mountains with no people and tons of forest roads.

I rode the 2012 DS here last year and it is beginning to look like I'm getting more efficiency from the '13 FX. So smaller battery capacity and I seem to be getting the same mileage. Slightly less energy to recharge after each ride than 2012 DS. Hmm.....interesting. 8)

Trikester
Pages: [1]