• May 06, 2024, 06:19:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Unexpected expense  (Read 3270 times)

Hogwit

• View Profile
Re: Unexpected expense
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2016, 10:54:54 AM »

As said before, the majority of the expense is simply accessing the outlets and running the lines, so while he's there and doing it, tell him to run a 50 amp (or even 100 amp if you ever think you'll get a Tesla) 240 outlet along with the two 20 amp outlet(s) for the Zero.

MichaelJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2016, 06:22:40 AM »

I charge mine on the same circuit as the garage door opener with no problem. If you have at least a 20 amp circuit I think you'll be OK. I would certainly try it frst before spending $700. What's the harm if it trips the breaker?

Well, I have to eat my own words on this one. Today I went out to check the Zero and though it was plugged in, the digital display was blank.  Couldn't figure it out but then this thread came to mind and sure enough, the breaker had tripped. First time in 1 1/2 years. I suspect that the breaker is getting old because I have seen breakers just fail. Nonetheless, my garage door opener and my Zero plugged into a 20 amp circuit did indeed pop the breaker. Thanks to the OP for bringing it up which probably saved me a few minutes of head scratching.
2015 Zero SR - urban terror
2015 Honda NC700X - long distance cruiser

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2016, 09:18:15 PM »

That's why I join forums like this... to tap into the collective experiences!  :D
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

MegaJustice

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2016, 02:58:48 PM »

Never had a dedicated line, tripped a breaker once.

The most wealthy guys I know are lawyers, plumbers and electricians. So maybe you get the bike then see if you need the expense.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2016, 11:36:46 PM »

...they just work too fast and dont pay atention to every détails like i do....

This applies to everything. Your car. Your house. EVERYTHING.  You will always take more time and put forth more effort to do your own stuff than anyone else can afford to do for you.

So as long as you're qualified to do a better job, you will do a better job.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2016, 01:28:14 AM »

Never had a dedicated line, tripped a breaker once.

The most wealthy guys I know are lawyers, plumbers and electricians. So maybe you get the bike then see if you need the expense.

More importantly, the expense is also bringing the wiring in the garage up to "code."  It's a bit of a mess right now with the face plate falling off one of the outlets already.  Might as well get it done right.  Also, since I'm getting this done SPECIFICALLY to charge up an electric vehicle, I can claim it on my Federal return next year and get my 30% tax rebate.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2016, 07:59:36 PM »

Just learned that none of the outlets in the garage are actually grounded!  Lovely.  Glad I decided to get this done.  Unfortunately, it won't be finished today as it is raining, so the electrician is just completing the "indoor work" inside the house.  He'll be back on a sunnier day to run the cabling out to the garage.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2016, 08:38:12 PM »

Just learned that none of the outlets in the garage are actually grounded!  Lovely.  Glad I decided to get this done.  Unfortunately, it won't be finished today as it is raining, so the electrician is just completing the "indoor work" inside the house.  He'll be back on a sunnier day to run the cabling out to the garage.

Those highly paid NY electricians cant work in a little weather? :p

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2016, 08:52:26 PM »

Somehow I don't think electricity and rain go together very well...  :P
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2016, 09:22:13 PM »

Somehow I don't think electricity and rain go together very well...  :P

Somehow I think if hes working on a live line as hes laying it.... He isn't a very good electrician. :p

Quiet rider

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2016, 01:34:57 AM »

Not up to code! Where's the Zero drama thread?
I'm glad you're getting the work done too. Temporarily, maybe you can pull the disconnect on the garage door opener chain to open/close it by hand. Enjoy the new ride!
Ride 'til it Hz

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2016, 03:15:43 AM »

MichaelJohn:

yeah, those motor loads can draw a burst of power, dim the lights and stuff, not surprised a garage door opener might trip the circuit while it's close to max charging an EV.

I used to own a device that did current-limiting on motorized devices, Green something or other.  I verified it did indeed save energy by logging kwh used with and without over a series of months.  IIRC it was around 10-15% savings.  It definitely limited those wasteful peak inrush currents.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2016, 05:38:58 AM »

Just Finished Mine!

I routed a second 20AMP circuit into my garage, tight roof pitch made me open up the soffit to access the top of the wall and the heavy gauge wire made me swap out and use deep outlet boxes or I could not close them up.

It was HOT in the attic! The top of my ladder was 120F. I demoted the old circuit to be a future attic exhaust fan.

Now both Zeros can charge at the same time, in very nearly the same place. No more changing charging cables in the middle of the night.
Pages: 1 2 [3]