• May 08, 2024, 08:27:04 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Unofficial Zero Owners Manual  (Read 16698 times)

rick

• View Profile
Re: Unofficial Zero Owners Manual
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2016, 11:33:17 PM »

Just to put it out there, I'd pay for good instructions on how to perform the "Drive Motor commissioning and timing" service every 8,000 miles or 12 months now required on all 2016 models using the Sevcon Handheld Calibrator (P/N 662/14050).

Those seem to run about $450 to buy or $50/week to rent at thunderstruck-ev.com (Sevcon P/N 662/14050). Looks like you'd still need to build/buy a harness and the instruction manual doesn't clarify the calibration process for me on a first pass. It's significantly cheaper than the $900 software package and probably easier to use.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2016, 12:02:10 AM »

Just to put it out there, I'd pay for good instructions on how to perform the "Drive Motor commissioning and timing" service every 8,000 miles or 12 months now required on all 2016 models using the Sevcon Handheld Calibrator (P/N 662/14050).

Those seem to run about $450 to buy or $50/week to rent at thunderstruck-ev.com (Sevcon P/N 662/14050). Looks like you'd still need to build/buy a harness and the instruction manual doesn't clarify the calibration process for me on a first pass. It's significantly cheaper than the $900 software package and probably easier to use.

Yes, that's something I've considered. I have the harness and a laptop with older DVT; just need to walk through it from start to finish with someone who's done it before, and understand how not to screw it up.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2016, 12:17:53 AM »

holy crap you're right.. page 6.5 of the 2016 S-models manual (english)...
Well that sucks. Is it free for the dealership to do it? 8000 miles, thats like every 4 months.

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2016, 03:32:11 AM »

holy crap you're right.. page 6.5 of the 2016 S-models manual (english)...
Well that sucks. Is it free for the dealership to do it? 8000 miles, thats like every 4 months.
Haha...go look at the rider log thread and see how many Zero owners are putting on 2K miles per month.  Granted it's a relatively small sample set but I don't think there are that many out there. The most I put on my bike in one month was the first month I bought it and I did 1500 miles and I have put 13K total in 2 years (anniversary is 1 August!).  I don't have a car and ride year round but my commute is only 21 miles round trip. I'm sure guys in the South and on the coast get closer to 2K per month but it's just hard to rack em up when it takes an hour of charging to go 10 miles. We'll see how much that changes when I finally get the Super Charger.

Regardless your point about frequency is valid. 8K is not a lot even if you only put 1K or even 500 per month. I would hope the calibration would at least be covered for the first 5 years while the power train is under warranty but what happens after that??

I wonder if this is unique to the IPM and thus doesn't apply to FX and S/DS ZF9.8?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2016, 07:40:58 AM »

Yep.   Added touring screen http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Common_Modifications#OEM_Touring_Screen

I really wasn't sure where to put the piping, all I had to go on was the image on Zero's product page for that accessory.  The instructions that were included are for model year 2013 and the brackets look different.  I'll come back to this to fill out tools needed, but I was in a rush and it was getting dark outside when I took the pictures.

Having the touring screen directs a lot of the wind away from the area between the windscreen and the rider's chest.  It's great.  You shouldn't have a bike without one. I think my range is affected positively by the windscreen, but that might have something to do with the windscreen's effects allowing me to concentrate on riding at a more consistent speed.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2016, 07:51:30 AM »

Yep.   Added touring screen http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Common_Modifications#OEM_Touring_Screen

I really wasn't sure where to put the piping, all I had to go on was the image on Zero's product page for that accessory.  The instructions that were included are for model year 2013 and the brackets look different.  I'll come back to this to fill out tools needed, but I was in a rush and it was getting dark outside when I took the pictures.

Having the touring screen directs a lot of the wind away from the area between the windscreen and the rider's chest.  It's great.  You shouldn't have a bike without one. I think my range is affected positively by the windscreen, but that might have something to do with the windscreen's effects allowing me to concentrate on riding at a more consistent speed.

Nice! It's an MRA screen, and their instructions are not much better, but windscreens are pretty easy to figure out.

It does, then, sound like the touring windscreen is better than the commuter windscreen for drag and comfort, which makes sense to me having installed an MRA spoiler to get the same effect a while ago. I would say you should expect a 5-10% range increase for 55mph, and probably more like 15% when you're a bit tucked.

I only went beyond this screen because tucking leads to fatigue and I wanted an all-day canopy experience. I am still considering a glider canopy or something similarly ambitious as Craig Schultz's front design once I clear some simpler hurdles.

odedmaz

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2016, 02:36:55 PM »

I have an " exploded view" pdf of the 2014 FX.
Is it already in the unofficial manual, or should I add it?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2016, 08:19:24 PM »

I have an " exploded view" pdf of the 2014 FX.
Is it already in the unofficial manual, or should I add it?
Add it if it is your original work. Respect the copyright laws and intellectual property issues.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2016, 02:07:30 AM »

I'm still the primary contributor to this website by far. I'm wondering what factors inhibit participation:

• Time.
  • Knowledge.
  • Wiki syntax.
  • Editing difficulties due to large pages or not knowing where to add things.
  • Generally feeling intimidated.
The documentation is large enough now to split up into more pages, and has enough to motivate some rationales for how to organize it. On the other hand, shaping a wiki into pages usually is never reversed because of the effort involved.

Is the wiki already useful enough that it's unclear how to improve it?

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2016, 04:16:15 AM »

In my case it is lack knowledge and the fact that I haven't even had to perform any chassis maintenance so far on my Zero, so I have no real specific experience to pass along that would be useful.  Good for me, not so good for the Manual.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2016, 05:57:27 AM »

Regardless your point about frequency is valid. 8K is not a lot even if you only put 1K or even 500 per month. I would hope the calibration would at least be covered for the first 5 years while the power train is under warranty but what happens after that??

I wonder if this is unique to the IPM and thus doesn't apply to FX and S/DS ZF9.8?

I looked all through the Owner's Manual for my 2015 FX and could not find that. Whew!
Clay
DoD #2160,6

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2016, 10:29:34 PM »

I'm still the primary contributor to this website by far. I'm wondering what factors inhibit participation:

• Time.
  • Knowledge.
  • Wiki syntax.
The documentation is large enough now to split up into more pages, and has enough to motivate some rationales for how to organize it. On the other hand, shaping a wiki into pages usually is never reversed because of the effort involved.

Is the wiki already useful enough that it's unclear how to improve it?
I'm trying to put together a "How to Charge" section using the different methods and chargers and combination of methods,etc.. I've found that in my quest to look for info, it's scattered all over in forums, FB and the internet, and not in one location.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2016, 11:07:23 PM »

I'm trying to put together a "How to Charge" section using the different methods and chargers and combination of methods,etc.. I've found that in my quest to look for info, it's scattered all over in forums, FB and the internet, and not in one location.

That's a good idea, and highlights how difficult it is to organize this information, because you'll wind up having to link to or duplicate descriptions of the charging circuits and how the bike behaves, and then the Usage page covers commuting and touring which treat charging differently!

I look forward to the results, but will try to think of a way to organize it as well.

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2016, 05:01:37 AM »

Just found this ... looks like a fantastic resource -- many thanks!
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

Patrick Truchon

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2016, 08:28:45 AM »

• Time.
  • Knowledge.
  • Wiki syntax.

For me it's mostly Time.  I've expended sections using my own photos when I could, but I still have lots of pictures that I took while working on the bike that I haven't had time to incorporate into the wiki due to other priorities.  This wiki is AWESOME though!  And it follows the usual trend of wikis: 90% of the wiki is maintained by 10% of the people (or maybe even 99% / 1%, I'm just making those numbers up, but you get the idea...)
Owned:  2013 Zero DS (now dead)
Test rode:  2014 Zero S, SR, 2015 Zero FX, 2016 DSR and FXS
http://ptruchon.pagekite.me/
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11