• May 07, 2024, 11:13:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Max Torque Reduction based on SOC?  (Read 431 times)

Tweak

• View Profile
Max Torque Reduction based on SOC?
« on: May 04, 2022, 12:44:38 AM »

Hello,

I haven't been able to find any documentation or tests done on this specifically. Is the max torque/output reduced when the SOC is below 90/60/40 percent on Energica's? 

Thank you.

PWM

• View Profile
Re: Max Torque Reduction based on SOC?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 10:25:04 AM »

Dang, what a heck of a question for a first volly...welcome sire.

No idea, on this forum the energica is still a black box and it's fun to characterize "issues" that are generally benign but if a bet were made, 40% sounds perfect for threshold where out of balance pack conditions will inhibit or trip safety measures from BMS as you are alluding to...this is coincidently where a yellow indication is displayed hence a decent bet?  Generally though outside this region, the traction controller is the programmed limiter.  Again, speculation...my bike doesn't display the funky dash LED limiter indicators as seen on youTube...likely a setting in preferences...rather gimmicky and annoying as it's viewed as redundant to the rider's sensation to speed.

BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

Tweak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 11:42:08 AM »

Hello PWM.

Thank you for the response and information.  Sorry for coming in hot on the first post. 

I am hyper-researching while waiting for my local dealer to get some demo bikes in stock so I can compare the SS9+ vs the Eva Ribelle.  Already rode the LiveWire. Trying to find all the issues and differences.  Sounds like the keyless entry, DC charging fuses, chain maintenance, and this SOC dependent torque reduction are the possible pain points I have found so far. 

The HP and spec difference between the SS9+ and the Eva Ribelle is concerning from a value standpoint, but I think SS9 might end up being more relaxed and comfortable setup during the nice weather commuter days. 

Thank you.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 11:46:24 AM by Tweak »

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 03:37:35 PM »

Sounds like the keyless entry, DC charging fuses, chain maintenance, and this SOC dependent torque reduction are the possible pain points

Keyless entry is a matter of some units malfunctioning a bit but most don't. If you'd like to avoid it, go with a key ;) If you need keyless, set up a PIN so the bike is driveable even without a key.
DC charging fuses: The 90 amps fuse should be enough, no clue why it blew for the single person a google search came up with. Theoretically the max amps are at low SOC and could reach 96 amps (27kW/280V worst case scenario) but at that low SOC the charge will be much lower until the battery reaches safe fast charge voltage.
Chain maintenance, what can I say. A belt is also not the bees knees so to speak, I've driven a belt for 6 years and snapped 3 of those. Which are 2 times more expensive than a chain set over here. A good oiler takes away a lot of maintenance leaving you with changing the sprockets and chain every 20-30k depending on driving style and weather.
SOC dependent torque reduction is a feature all EV's have, to spare the battery. Max current is limited by SOC and thus is the max torque limited. Even the LW does that (And my Tesla, and my Zero...) but at a later stage which might affect battery life but who knows.

Just my $0.02, hope it makes the decision easier.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 03:39:52 PM by Skidz »

Tweak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 09:04:58 PM »

Thank you Skidz for the response and all that information.  That does help me making my decision easier, I appreciate that.

It appears the issue with the fuse may be a one off issue where they missed upgrading the fuse to 100 amp after the larger battery was installed.  I doubt that is a concern with new bikes now. 

I didn't know about the pin, that is great to know.  Also it was just mentioned to me that I may be able to put the key next to a specific antenna location on the side of the bike to unlock it.  At least there is 2 good alternatives. 

Now I just need to wait to ride the two models.  I'm curious if I can notice the power difference and see what one fits me better physically!     Not excited about the 5+ month wait after ordering. 

Thanks.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 09:07:56 PM by Tweak »

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 03:54:31 AM »

You will notice a power difference between Livewire and the two Eenergicas mentioned.  You won't be able to tell the difference between Energica bikes on a dealer test ride unless you flogged them hard and that's not cool...evaluate the posture difference and esthetics.  Performance headroom matters but less important in this case because the components employed are the exact same 'cept for programmed limits.  Best to you on the test ride.
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

Tweak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 04:48:54 AM »

Thank you.   It looks like they make raised and offset handlebar spacers for the Ribelle.  I haven't confirmed yet, but I think people have swapped the ss9 pegs onto the Ribelle too.   

flynnstig82r

• Just another lanesplitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 10:26:23 AM »

I haven't had a chance to ride a Ribelle, but I did sit on one and the pegs are much farther back than on the SS9, so even if you swapped the pegs and bars the riding position would be much sportier. Personally, I wouldn't trade away the more comfortable riding position and seat of the SS9, even if I'd love to have the full unlocked power of the Ribelle.
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 AE

Past bikes:
2020 Energica SS9 13.4 kWh
2017 Zero SR 13.0 kWh
2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring
2016 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce 800
2012 Yamaha FZ6R

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 11:36:41 AM »

This video shows not the torque number but the kW output value. Same can be done for torque obv. I've since then also gone lower in SOC and at 0% you get 7 kW output. This was recorded before I decoded the BLE connection, now you could achieve the same recorded automatically from that connection. If you want me to do so like every video I ever posted, subscribe, hit the bell... and asks your friends and family to do all that YouTube magic :D :D.  Or just tag me and ask me and I might just do so.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 11:40:32 AM by Hans2183 »
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2022, 11:52:46 AM »

Not excited about the 5+ month wait after ordering.

That really depends on where you are. I ordered mine 7 weeks ago and it's delivered tomorrow I was told. Living in the old world has it's advantages :)
Pages: [1]