• May 08, 2024, 03:39:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Going from a Zero DSR ZF13 to a Energica Eva Ribelle  (Read 884 times)

Skidz

• View Profile
Going from a Zero DSR ZF13 to a Energica Eva Ribelle
« on: April 03, 2022, 08:53:39 PM »

And I'm pretty psyched about it! Should be delivered in 6-10 weeks.
Ordered the windscreen, keyless and heated grips as well as the soft cases. Any tips for the delivery or accessories that are a must have? Have been driving an electric bike for 6 years now so have the charging setup pretty much dialed in.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: Going from a Zero DSR ZF13 to a Energica Eva Ribelle
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2022, 09:12:19 PM »

Which one did you go with?

I think they are having some bugs with the keyless start feature but it sees nice when working right.

flynnstig82r

• Just another lanesplitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2022, 09:58:11 PM »

If you’re in CA, Electrify America chargers are by far the best, but you have to ignore their instructions to plug in first. If you do that, the bike will time out and reject the charge by the time the payment goes through. Pay via the app and then plug in.

I found ChargePoint to be the most reliable with L2, but not so much with DCFC. One of their stations on Tejon Pass simply refused to work, which threw a monkey wrench into my recent trip down to Long Beach and added at least an hour to my trip. EVGo is OK, but not as good as EA. Caltrans stations are free, but not very reliable. I have only had luck with them when the screen is facing away from the parking lot (less visible as a vandalism target, maybe?).
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 AE

Past bikes:
2020 Energica SS9 13.4 kWh
2017 Zero SR 13.0 kWh
2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring
2016 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce 800
2012 Yamaha FZ6R

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2022, 10:42:54 PM »

I found ChargePoint to be the most reliable with L2, but not so much with DCFC. One of their stations on Tejon Pass simply refused to work, which threw a monkey wrench into my recent trip down to Long Beach and added at least an hour to my trip.

I've only ever used the ones in Lebec in the Denny's parking lot. At least 1 will work. I have experienced the other two being offline, though. I would also agree with you about ignoring instructions to plug in first; these bikes have a fairly short timeout for the DC communication/handshake. The other thing I recommend is pointing my front wheel to the right of the station or even perpendicular to the station with the kickstand side facing TOWARDS the station. When plugging in, this puts more pressure on the CP pin to ensure a stronger connection instead of the weight of the cable actively pulling downward and trying to disconnect the CP connection. I have seen this fault out the charge session before.

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2022, 02:02:07 AM »

Which one did you go with?

The Eva Ribelle in Corso Red, seemed the right choice ;)

I'm in the Netherlands btw, so CCS all over the place here. And we are in luck because we have the Tesla SC open up for 3rd party here, so that's a big plus!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 02:03:55 AM by Skidz »

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2022, 05:52:24 PM »

Oh wow, I knew Teslas in Europe used a CCS ports but I didn't know they had opened them up to non Teslas yet.
Sounds like you're all set for a very enjoyable spring and summer.

flynnstig82r

• Just another lanesplitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2022, 08:12:31 AM »

I've only ever used the ones in Lebec in the Denny's parking lot. At least 1 will work. I have experienced the other two being offline, though. I would also agree with you about ignoring instructions to plug in first; these bikes have a fairly short timeout for the DC communication/handshake. The other thing I recommend is pointing my front wheel to the right of the station or even perpendicular to the station with the kickstand side facing TOWARDS the station. When plugging in, this puts more pressure on the CP pin to ensure a stronger connection instead of the weight of the cable actively pulling downward and trying to disconnect the CP connection. I have seen this fault out the charge session before.
Interesting, I never would have thought of that. Maybe that's one of the reasons I couldn't get that CP station to work.
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 AE

Past bikes:
2020 Energica SS9 13.4 kWh
2017 Zero SR 13.0 kWh
2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring
2016 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce 800
2012 Yamaha FZ6R

most

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2022, 11:52:30 AM »

Ordered the windscreen, keyless and heated grips as well as the soft cases. Any tips for the delivery or accessories that are a must have?

Yes: Try to switch from keyless to key. The keyless is a real pain that Energica was unable to fix now since a year. Reports on this issue are available since early May 2021, the response from Energica that my dealer gets is „the issue is with the lock supplier“. I have only 50% confidence that they will fix this throughout 2022. The problem that you will see on the bike that in most cases it does not switch on at all, or it needs a second press whitest playing with different push durations or it switches on and directly off again. Very annoying - but finally you will be able to start it.
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

FlorisXIII

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2022, 12:26:15 PM »

Yes: Try to switch from keyless to key. The keyless is a real pain that Energica was unable to fix now since a year.

I’ve got keyless too and I wouldn’t call it a ‘real pain’, but it is indeed somewhat annoying. Usually need two attempts to boot the bike.
One thing I would recommend is to replace the seat lock with a (mechanical!) keyless solution. There are some options (see this forum or the Energica owners FB group). My dealer installed a push button on my SS9, not having to fiddle with the seat lock when charging makes a big difference!

Enjoy your ride! 👍

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2022, 02:11:45 PM »

Yes: Try to switch from keyless to key. The keyless is a real pain that Energica was unable to fix now since a year. Reports on this issue are available since early May 2021, the response from Energica that my dealer gets is „the issue is with the lock supplier“. I have only 50% confidence that they will fix this throughout 2022. The problem that you will see on the bike that in most cases it does not switch on at all, or it needs a second press whitest playing with different push durations or it switches on and directly off again. Very annoying - but finally you will be able to start it.

Plan is to also set up a PIN in case I get stuck somewhere somehow. I have faith in software dev's, although I deal with them every day ;)

One thing I would recommend is to replace the seat lock with a (mechanical!) keyless solution. There are some options (see this forum or the Energica owners FB group). My dealer installed a push button on my SS9, not having to fiddle with the seat lock when charging makes a big difference!

In my default at-home charging setup, the seat's right side is close to a wall so opening the seat will be difficult without a switch. However, I don't know what they'll charge me for installing a button and it seems I can print one so I'll probably go with the hobo version of it (Belgian guy simply tied a small piece of rope to the switch and that works too) untill I figure out what to print and how to fit it.

Thanks for the tips! Keep em coming ;)

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2022, 03:18:00 PM »

Just got an email stating the bike is in the country and the title's been made up so they expect delivery next week. Ordered 21st of March, expected delivery around 4th of May. That's 6 weeks, I'm impressed...

For accessories I have the X-grip phone holder from my old bike and a Tutoro chain oiler, when I figure out where to mount it I'll make a post of it. Ow, and a Garmin Oregon handlebar mount in case I need to log a route or go geocaching ;)

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2022, 01:26:23 PM »

The bike was handed over 7th of May, so I'm a happy puppy ;)
Decided to get the push button for the seat installed which was a good call, having to locate the lock with that side of the bike against a wall would have been a challenge to say the least. The first 500km's are on with getting to know the bike a little, coming week I'll commute and see if it allows me to do my 145km commute with less stress than the Zero DSR ;)

Tweak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2022, 08:44:02 AM »

Yay! Congrats!!  We need more pictures!

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2022, 01:32:24 AM »

Shot a quick one at work today, when the weather clears up I'll make a few beauty shots of Eve ;)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 01:39:32 AM by Skidz »
Pages: [1]