• May 08, 2024, 02:21:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Larger Windscreen  (Read 9156 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Larger Windscreen
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2016, 12:57:11 AM »

For what it's worth, it appears that Zero's headlamp is identical to the Yamaha MT-03 headlamp. I'm debating whether to try this third-party headlamp bracket for the forward/lower windshield mount, because the customization of what I have at this point is a lot easier once I get to it:

http://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/brushed-stainless-steel--brackets-and-fork-clamps-for-mt03-headlight-is-not-included-1292-p.asp
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2016, 03:01:37 AM »

Earlier on I did some digging and I believe that the headlight is a ''lsl urban headlight''.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2016, 03:13:20 AM »

Earlier on I did some digging and I believe that the headlight is a ''lsl urban headlight''.

Yes, that is the original manufacturer specification. Strangely, I couldn't find brackets for those that were available separately, only in kit form with a headlamp. Also, no brackets were suitable to be mounted in an inverted way for a windshield mount (I am admittedly pushing intended uses pretty strangely).

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2016, 10:35:31 AM »

Update / long-term report:

I will never use a lesser windscreen than this if I can at all help it. A 400-mile day ride with the Super Charger was very manageable with this and the Corbin seat. The Corbin seat helped me see over the top very easily where my ability to see over with the OEM seat was marginal (unless I removed the spoiler).

I consistently get better mileage than my ride partners at all speeds below 75mph, although trying to get a consistent measurement in consecutive runs by comparison is fraught with statistical noise where I live. I've had 100 mile rides at 60-65 mph, and if the air is clean, a 55mph ride could last 115 miles on my 16 DSR with 13kWh.

The benefit is lost in a heavy headwind, however. I faced heavy 30mph gusts going north on US 101 towards Salinas in the afternoon, and achieved a projected range of 75 miles going at 45mph. It is hard to say whether I would have faired better without the windscreen, but it shows that Terry's Vetter fairing is clearly superior in headwinds.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2016, 12:54:00 AM »

I've decided it's time to improve the lower mounts by making them adjustable, and this more or less means getting custom brackets fabricated.

The problem is that headwinds at high speed raise drag too much. Tucking behind this windscreen has a small but less effect - someone can tuck flat on the bike with a much smaller windscreen and get a slightly better effect, I think.

My solution is to allow raising the lower edge of the windscreen, pivoting around the center where the upper mounts meet. This will lower the "angle of attack" of the windscreen and allow more air to flow underneath it. This does mean tucking.

I'm attaching the STL file for the piece I've ordered. They're simple slotted brackets with one fixed hole at the end and fillet corners.

I'll work out a quick release and lock hardware control for them (got candidates, just will take time to confirm the choice), but am hoping I can adjust them quickly while stopped without dismounting to avoid wasting time fiddling with them.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2016, 12:15:48 AM »

Here is it installed with safety adjusting handles from McMaster. I accidentally received the original 300mm length instead of my revised 200mm spec once I realized how the clearance would work towards the forks. So I'll bend what I have and make sure future batches if needed are better shaped.

Only two test rides so far indicate that 70+mph with headwinds are now much smoother although I cannot say yet whether drag has been measurably improved.

The windshield is now higher so I am looking through the spoiler, so hopefully I can ride without the spoiler and still get good air.
Pages: 1 2 [3]