• May 04, 2024, 03:46:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Traded from a 12 DS ZF9 to a 13 FX5.7  (Read 3002 times)

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
Re: Traded from a 12 DS ZF9 to a 13 FX5.7
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 04:36:13 PM »

I need to think very carefully about what (and when) my next Zero will be.  The SR is awesome and was my first choice but seeing all the talk of the FX makes me wonder if it would do the job for alot less money.  I used to ride supermotos and never need to travel more than 50 miles in a day.  Acceleration seems to be good enough for the traffic light grand prix.

The thing that puts me off is inability to carry luggage if I ever got panniers for the commute and the fact that I never ride off road.  Does anyone have thoughts on FX5.7 with S wheels versus SR for short journeys?

Olav

• Custom Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 06:25:18 PM »

Here's an FX in Supermoto style from Hollywood Electrics

KTM E-XC Freeride

Marshm

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 01:15:18 AM »

That photo has nothing on the left handler bar.  It looks like something is missing.  Looks like the whole dash board area is clean.  I do like less clutter up top for better visibility for offroad log or rock crossings.  Hard to do better than that, although I would add the guards to protect my fingers from those trees that jump out in front of you when you are riding.  I don't like them, but they do work.  I still like the idea of the rear brake up there, it would add good function in some situations.  But that adds cost and weight for the added components and these bikes are already too expensive.  Anyway, I like the very simple and clean handlebar area. 

Tudor

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 04:00:38 PM »

Omg it's beautiful!
*droolz a little on the keyboard*

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 08:55:43 PM »

FX is $12k. SR is $17k even.

You could get the same battery capacity as the SR by spending an extra $5k on two modules for the FX.

SR will be noticeably faster. Probably not worth $5k if you prefer the lower FX weight and the range is fine - the FX is far, far from slow.

On a 50 mile day with the FX you will probably need to control your right wrist, and mostly stick to lower speed roads.

On a 50 mile day with the SR you probably should avoid taking it to the track, at least for the entire day. Highway travel would not be a problem.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 12:35:54 AM »

Take a look at this video from the KTM I had before my last KTM to get an idea of the roads im riding on.  The video is terrible but you get an idea.  Worth skipping to 2 minutes in to see my usual haunt.  All the roads are like that, we only have two straight roads really., one of which is a dual carriageway and 2 miles long and its pretty much the longest straight road on the island.

I have only ever taken a bike away to the mainland once and didnt enjoy it that much so range is barely a concern.  The appeal is the acceleration and hopefully build quality of the SR over the FX.

Olav

• Custom Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 07:40:48 AM »

Looks like you managed to record one of your dreams.

Those roads are twisty and someone cut you off pretty bad.
KTM E-XC Freeride

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 09:54:09 AM »

NoiseBoy,

The acceleration on the FX is quite a hoot.   Personally, I would go FX SuperMoto style if this is your riding playground and range is not an issue.   I like super light bikes, but that may not be your thing.
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 04:25:06 PM »

I do like light bikes for sure. Only rode supermotos for years before the Zero.  You can't beat it for handling on twisty rough roads.  But during the winter I also appreciate the comfort of my S with the screen, proper mudguards that work and heated grips.

The obvious solution is to fully kit out my S as a commuter with panniers etc. and have an FX for fun.  It makes financial sense too as my 2012 S is now virtually worthless.  The main problem though is storage, I only have one small area next to the sockets to fit a bike.
Pages: 1 [2]