• May 05, 2024, 09:17:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Zero Dealer experiences  (Read 2060 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Zero Dealer experiences
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2016, 08:26:09 PM »

I'm struggling to recognize the point when "new company jitters" fades and I should be getting concerned.

I know (and am frustrated) when there is that insincere air of attempts at customer service (like the phone company)... but referring to dealing with Zero as a "cluster" when talking with the customer could be sharing a frustration, but also could just be ICE bias lurking in the form of poor follow up.

I get great email feedback from Hollywood Electrics, but when I email a more local dealer... no reply until I call them, and they don't know - so they email Zero, and I can't explain in kind enough tones "if the dealer doesn't answer emails, why rely on emails to others?" that is "if I had to call you to get action - then you should call Zero" as that is proven to be a reliable mode.

Then reconciling information between Zero and my dealer - when available, when shipped, when arrived.   In 2014 I struggled with Zero saying "it has shipped" when actually things hadn't. So I ask for the tracking number... I learned that in very few interactions with Zero. I'd presume a dealer who has more interactions would become adept that much quicker.   I know Zero has - because now when they tell me something shipped - they provide the tracking number without me asking.

So why isn't my dealer good at working with Zero yet?
         ICE bias?
         Low motivation?
         Poor margins?
         Burdensome procedures?

I dunno for sure, but at some point absolution from "new company jitters" has got to wear off.

I have a suspicion that most established IC dealers take on Zero as an experiment that much of their staff hasn't really bought in to.  When there is a problem that isn't chassis related, the parts and service staff gets confused and are unsure of themselves.  They tell each other, "see I told you so, the shop should have never taken on this new technology". So they don't treat the Zero customer quite the way they do for their "normal" IC customers. If they really haven't bought into Zero's the way that the shop owner or sales staff has, then trouble will ensue should something go wrong that they can't immediately resolve. 

Around here some motorcycle shops have been closing for various business reasons and the ones that are still around are really busy servicing bikes and repairing crashed IC motorcycles. It is all about production and many technicians are getting paid for piece-work and not by the hour.  So any issue that comes up that can not be immediately resolved with the knowledge and parts on hand, tends to be put in the back room in the hopes that some other sucker will get stuck with the problem.  At least that is the way I see it, after being a motorcycle shop customer for 55 years.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2016, 07:40:21 PM »

I can now add my own "dealer experience". It took exactly 1 month to repair my bike under warranty in a shop on the US East Coast. Luckily, they diagnosed it correctly the first time. Most of that time was spent waiting for the replacement part to arrive from zero. The bike now works fine. However:
- they scratched-up my display LCD screen in an attempt to clean the dust that had accumulated during the month it sat in (and out) at the shop.
- one of the two small round covers on the front of the battery was missing, the other was not the original. I noticed that as I was picking-up the bike, they swapped them for new ones on the spot, no prob. with that.
- a piece of plastic trim looked out of position, turned out the bolt holding it in place was loose. Had it tightened on the spot.
- I haven't taken apart yet the area they worked on, but I will - just to make sure all looks good inside there and that they did not forget to tighten something over there too...

The "Zero guy", who is also the manager of the store, was nice and explained most of the repair details to me, and was good to work with. Other than the long shipping and part prep times, Zero has been extremely responsive to calls and emails (from the dealer and by me directly) about my bike's issue.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 07:43:09 PM by Kocho »
'15 Zero SR

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2016, 07:55:29 PM »

My SR lost power while riding, at random, just after purchase. Took it in and it sat for nearly a month without being looked at. Then Zero sent them a part (charger oddly enough) within another month, and I was sent home. The next day the power cut out on me while riding. Seems like replacing the charger was just a random guess in the troubleshooting. And one that had my new bike in the shop for 2 months almost.

The bike got worse, until the display would flash lights and go crazy with error messages while propulsion failed to work. Then, roughly after winter, it worked perfectly. I don't get it. No issues for months. If she worked well, I'd give her to the wife and get myself a 2017, but I don't trust her. Trading her in for a 2017, at a different dealer, later this year.
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

WoadRaider

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2016, 06:30:27 PM »

- they scratched-up my display LCD screen in an attempt to clean the dust that had accumulated during the month it sat in (and out) at the shop.
It's interesting that you say that because I now have a scuff on my display. I wonder if the dealer did it some time during the 1.5 months he had it. Unfortunately I didn't notice it right away, or I would have asked, I only noticed it a week or two ago which was over a week since I had it back. I also can't say for certain that it wasn't there before I gave it to him, but I definitely don't remember it and I would have noticed within a week of riding. I think there was a bit of grime/sticky smudge on that spot so maybe he tried to clean it and the same thing happened.
The bike got worse, until the display would flash lights and go crazy with error messages while propulsion failed to work. Then, roughly after winter, it worked perfectly. I don't get it. No issues for months. If she worked well, I'd give her to the wife and get myself a 2017, but I don't trust her. Trading her in for a 2017, at a different dealer, later this year.
Do you live somewhere cold?
perspective, use it

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2016, 07:34:07 PM »

It's interesting that you say that because I now have a scuff on my display. I wonder if the dealer did it some time during the 1.5 months he had it. Unfortunately I didn't notice it right away, or I would have asked, I only noticed it a week or two ago which was over a week since I had it back. I also can't say for certain that it wasn't there before I gave it to him, but I definitely don't remember it and I would have noticed within a week of riding. I think there was a bit of grime/sticky smudge on that spot so maybe he tried to clean it and the same thing happened.

both of you should try taking some Plexus and a CLEAN soft rag, and wiping it.
It will not remove scratches, but you wont see the scratches that are there anymore. (unless they're horribly deep)

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2016, 09:03:55 PM »

Scuffs are minor. I will probably install a screen protector to prevent future scratches. I live in the DC area, so not cold this time of year.
'15 Zero SR

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 03:01:29 AM »

Scuffs are minor. I will probably install a screen protector to prevent future scratches. I live in the DC area, so not cold this time of year.

DC area on a silent motorcycle. Brave man. lol.

WoadRaider

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 05:22:50 AM »

It will not remove scratches, but you wont see the scratches that are there anymore. (unless they're horribly deep)
Plexus? Can you link to it or suggest where to find it? I'll probably do that and then put a screen protector over it or spray with clearcoat. I have to do something because the scuff in front of the one's speed digit (the lower right corner) and the odometer. Thanks MrDude.
perspective, use it

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2016, 09:17:17 AM »

Plexus? Can you link to it or suggest where to find it? I'll probably do that and then put a screen protector over it or spray with clearcoat. I have to do something because the scuff in front of the one's speed digit (the lower right corner) and the odometer. Thanks MrDude.
most motorcycle shops carry it.. you can also use honda polish.
Its a plastic cleaner/polish/wax all in one. Its intended to be sprayed onto plastics (including clear), clean and protect. Its also used on aircraft for the same thing.
It works by leaving a slight residue that will "fill" the scratches, and repel dirt/dust for a bit.  So I dont think you want to use it if you're putting a protector over it.. but if you're just leaving the screen as-is and want the scratches reduced, it will work great.

amazon link to see the can (dont buy here, its overpriced): https://www.amazon.com/Plexus-Plastic-Cleaner-Protectant-13-Ounce/dp/B00092CKN4
its also on revzilla. http://www.revzilla.com/product/plexus-plastic-cleaner-protectant-polish

and I know Cycle Gear carries it.

Its $12 locally, expect to pay more online since they have to ship it. one can will last you a long time.
plexus and the Honda version looks like this:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 06:59:55 PM by MrDude_1 »

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2016, 08:21:39 PM »

most motorcycle shops carry it.. you can also use honda polish.
Its a plastic cleaner/polish/wax all in one. Its intended to be sprayed onto plastics (including clear), clean and protect. Its also used on aircraft for the same thing.
It works by leaving a slight residue that will "fill" the scratches, and repel dirt/dust for a bit.  So I dont think you want to use it if you're putting a protector over it.. but if you're just leaving the screen as-is and want the scratches reduced, it will work great.

amazon link to see the can (dont buy here, its overpriced): https://www.amazon.com/Plexus-Plastic-Cleaner-Protectant-13-Ounce/dp/B00092CKN4
its also on revzilla. http://www.revzilla.com/product/plexus-plastic-cleaner-protectant-polish

and I know Cycle Gear carries it.

Its $12 locally, expect to pay more online since they have to ship it. one can will last you a long time.
plexus and the Honda version looks like this:

I have been using those products for 30 years and can recommend both.  However, I like Plexus better for clear and colored plastic and the Honda Spray and Polish for dirty and oily metal, such as wheel rims.  The Honda product does a great job of degreasing chain oil off of rims and other parts and my daughter used it to clean her entire Suzuki GS500E while she was going to UCSD as there was no water available in the college parking lot.  Really amazing stuff and a good value.  However, Plexus was apparently made for the aircraft industry and is priced accordingly, around $25 for the large can.  A great product, but you sure pay for the privilege of using it.   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2016, 08:36:57 PM »

However, Plexus was apparently made for the aircraft industry and is priced accordingly, around $25 for the large can.  A great product, but you sure pay for the privilege of using it.   ::)
It didnt used to be that way... until 05 or so it was only $8 a can.  I dont know what changed, but some sellers are nuts about the price of the stuff. Local bike shop still has it for $12 though, so I cant complain.
I tried looking online for him, but the prices were crazy.

Pages: 1 [2]