• May 04, 2024, 07:55:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: SR/F charge rate rule of thumb  (Read 862 times)

Bill822

• View Profile
Re: SR/F charge rate rule of thumb
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 01:13:01 AM »

A 14-50 circuit is capable of outputting 12kW. Have you seen anything higher than 5.4kW?

The rating on the chargers built into our bikes is the charging limit we face, 3kW for Standard or 6kW for premium. The charger on the bike tells the ESVE (the cord that came with the bike, the one mounted in your garage, or the commercial charger you stop at) how much current it can take. From that point the amperage is limited by the hardware plugged into the bike. Whatever has the lowest rating will limit how fast we can charge.

I got an adapter so I can use the cord that came with the bike on a 50A RV outlet. My bike has a 6kW charger but will only charge at less than 4kW using this setup because the cord that came with the bike is only rated for 16A. It's the weakest link. Zero is coming out with a Charge Tank for the SR/f but it's not clear that it will do us any good for most applications. Most public J stations only can put out about 6kW.

I've plugged into a variety of different things and never seen a charging rate on the dash or app above 5.8kW

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2019, 01:15:32 PM »

A 14-50 circuit is capable of outputting 12kW. Have you seen anything higher than 5.4kW?
Note 12kW on a 50A 240Vac branch would OCPD okay not to exceed 3 hours. Ref NEC 210.20(A)

Referring to NEMA 14-50 as 12kW sustained sources is how RV parks (for whatever reason faulty or undersized wiring and oft abused and worn out OCPD's) catch fire and ill-will gets rooted versus EV travelers. Even 40A load can (more frequently than you'd like to think) be too much for these situations. Staying at or under 32A load on a NEMA 14-50 outlet branch circuit is recommended in practice in-my-opinion.

*edit* Additionally I want to mention from experience how common J1772 EVSE installs (North America) are also only really reliable up to 32A load even the ones that are rated for 40A continuous are not always reliable to 40A sustained;  The Tesla High Power Wall Connector HPWC installs are typically specified to 60A or 80A continuous (80A and 100A rated wiring, OCPD, etc) for use with 32A/40A/32A+16A and 40A+40A charging configurations. There does exist a TeslaTap but what I've seen is rated again only to 32A or 40A not any higher.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 01:26:31 PM by Shadow »

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2019, 09:43:39 PM »

At this point in time no one here is charging their Zero at 12kW for 3 hours.
Pages: 1 [2]