• May 03, 2024, 10:09:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Anyone want a free 2012XU? I've given up  (Read 1311 times)

peter

• View Profile
Anyone want a free 2012XU? I've given up
« on: December 23, 2015, 06:12:50 AM »

Hi folks

So, we've given up on the pile of garbage that Zero sold us. If anyone needs the details (and if you're thinking of taking up this offer, make sure you read the details)  - our story is covered in these posts:

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=3504.30

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=4876.msg33145

As you'll see from the second of these, the last problem was the throttle acting as though it was sticking on. It seems to be intermittent. I've canceled the bike's plates and it's no longer road registered.

That being so, I don't rate this bike as safe to ride. And it's clear that Zero has no interest in supporting pre-2013 bikes. So if anyone else who owns a 2012 XU and would like this bike as a source of spares to cannibalize, you're welcome to it. I live in the northeast USA, about 1.5 hours from Boston (on Cape Cod). You'll have to come & get it, or organize for it to be picked up. Bike's got clear title.

I realize that getting rid of it means I can't ensure that it's not used on the road, but I would strongly discourage its use on the road. It's been extremely unreliable, and the last problem - the engine not slowing when you shut the throttle off - is potentially very dangerous. But it's got a good battery bank, DC-DC converter, BMS (because all of them have been replaced) and motor. Not sure if the latest problem is the MBB or just the throttle control, but I'm past caring. The forks don't leak and iirc the bike has <1500 miles on it so the tires & brakes are fine.

I tried to offer it to the dealership from where I bought it. They never got back (2 phone calls and an email). I tried Hollywood Electrics and they weren't interested, but offered me a deal on a 2014FX. We're not interested and never want to deal with the Zero motorcycles company ever again. I find Zero exceedingly unimpressive (I'm trying to be polite).

A friend gave me an early-80s Suzuki 250 to fix up for my wife to ride & to replace the Zero, so I'm passing on the goodwill and offering the Zero on to someone who can use it for parts, for free. We want it gone and no longer wasting space in our garage.

Anyone interested can send me a private message.
Peter

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: Anyone want a free 2012XU? I've given up
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 09:07:30 PM »

Peter here is part of a post about an aftermarket throttle that may fix your problem I link it here either for you or someone thinking about getting the bike. Also you may want to post this "ad" in the for sale section and also the 2013 and after just because you'd get mire views.  Sorry it didn't work out for you good luck.

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=5252.msg36881#msg36881

peter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 06:53:54 AM »

Hi folks

Thanks for the messages. I've got someone local who is interested in the bike. If for some reason he can't get it, I'll contact those who've PM'd me.

And thanks new2 - I'm aware of the post on fixing the throttle. I've just run out of interest in fixing the bike any more. I'd rather work on bikes that I understand, that I know are reasonably well engineered, and for which it's easy to get a workshop manual.

Peter

peter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 05:00:17 AM »

Quick update

Someone came around today and picked up the XU, so it's gone and we're rid of dealing with Zero. Great rejoicing in this household.

Now I have some space to sort out some of the other bikes needing work in the garage.

Peter
Pages: [1]