• May 14, 2024, 06:13:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: I see almost no used Zeros on the market  (Read 4620 times)

cpallenjr

• View Profile
Re: I see almost no used Zeros on the market
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2018, 06:54:35 AM »

Either that or my BMW C Evolution Scooter, which really does have no routine maintenance that can't be performed by the owner.  Pretty trouble-free as well from a repair standpoint.
The large scooters (>650 cc) are very heavy.  In the 600+ lbs range.  I know they don't "feel" that heavy due to the low CG, but still . . .   600 lbs?

My EV scooter @ 606# is slightly heavier than it's 650cc ICE counterpart (549#). Could have been a design target or something like that. The shared running gear and bodywork is all pretty substantial. Triple disks, ABS, full size suspension components, etc. Doesn't really impact the use - especially since it has reverse!
C Allen
Seattle, WA
2017 BMW C Evolution
2016 BMW R1200GSA

Moto7575

• City rider
  • Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2018, 11:25:06 PM »

There are a couple of used bikes on the market (some working, some sold for parts), but i think buyers are not willing to buy bikes past the commercial warranty period (5 years). After that period, any issue on the battery or the engine will cost you the value of the bike, and it seems to be much more frequent than with the typical ICE bike.

Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2018, 05:12:52 AM »

There are a couple of used bikes on the market (some working, some sold for parts), but i think buyers are not willing to buy bikes past the commercial warranty period (5 years). After that period, any issue on the battery or the engine will cost you the value of the bike, and it seems to be much more frequent than with the typical ICE bike.

If that was true, there should be plenty on the market, since sellers would have no buyers, and they'd just be listed month after month.  Lack of listings means owners are holding onto them, or the listings are being deleted quickly since the bikes have been sold.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2018, 05:43:18 AM »

If that was true, there should be plenty on the market, since sellers would have no buyers, and they'd just be listed month after month.  Lack of listings means owners are holding onto them, or the listings are being deleted quickly since the bikes have been sold.

I think some people quit trying to sell, or don't bother listing in the first place based on what little data there is on resale value. Personally, this makes me lean more toward hanging on the the bike rather than selling it for peanuts.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

centra12

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2018, 04:00:49 PM »

Counterquestion

What would you spend as a Zero owner for a 2014-2015 Zero with 10-20,000 miles and how far would you drive for her to pick her up?  8)

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2018, 09:02:59 PM »

To tack on to Centra12's comment don't be scared to look regionally or even nation wide for bikes if the price is right.
I've used UShip for both of my Zeros and worked out fine.  You need to be flexible on your time frame but the cost was less than half what most big shippers quoted me.
If you can save $2k on the bikes price and only pay $500 for shipping it's a no brainer.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2018, 09:10:20 PM »

I think some people quit trying to sell, or don't bother listing in the first place based on what little data there is on resale value. Personally, this makes me lean more toward hanging on the the bike rather than selling it for peanuts.

That's true for me. I've got one of the very first 2014 SR's, and currently have ~43,000 miles on it. She's got some battle scars, but overall she's still performing like a champ, still extremely cheap to run, still a blast to ride.

Every once in a while I consider selling her and upgrading to a newer one for myself, but I haven't done it yet. A big part of the reason is my uncertainty about the used market. I don't want to give her away for essentially parts value when it feels to me like there's a lot of value left in her. On the other hand, she is considerably behind the times in terms of technology -- a big reason I want to upgrade is to get the new brakes, new suspension, IPM motor, etc., and it kind of feels like I'd be dumping it on somebody.

So I'm a little bit conflicted emotionally. (Hey, nobody ever said feelings made any sense!) I want to move on to the newer technology, but I'm not quite ready to make the jump, especially since I'd probably wind up taking at least a bit of a bath.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2018, 10:43:57 PM »

Same here on my 13 DS and I did pick up a 17 DSR but there are things that I prefer on the older bike.
Those new forks give it a firmer more stable highway ride but the 13 feels lighter and quicker to turn with the smaller forks and spoke wheels.
Right now it's nice having a backup/weekend bike.

caza

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2018, 11:53:03 AM »

I bought mine used for a bit over 8K after watching the used market closely for  a few years now.

I found, at least in SF bay area, that Zero's worth buying come up very rarely and tend to be listed anywhere between 6-10k depending on which extras they have. I have seen a couple show up on listings, disappear (assuming sold) only to see the listing reappear months later, which suggests to me that there isn't a ton of serious interest in the used market.

Exceptions include some of the older bikes (pre-2013) that invariably have some sort of problem, either a completely dead battery or something about it rebuilt or replaced, or even a project needing a complete rebuild. Those tend to be listed for around 1-2k and disappear quickly.

I was willing to pay a bit more for mine because it did have a lot of add-ons I wanted anyways (corbin seat, top case, windshield, etc) The previous owner also delivered the bike to my door which saved me time and headache.

But it still feels like a lot for a used bike with no warranty, even if the same bike new would cost me 20k~ I feel like buying a used EV has a bit more risk than other vehicles. So hard to tell if something may be wrong with it, and if there is you'll surely have to pay a lot to repair it and can't do it yourself. You can repair an ICE bike yourself but if someone goes wrong on a used zero you're probably paying $2k~ on a new motor or controller or worse, new battery.
2015 Zero SR + Power Tank

centra12

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2018, 04:05:36 PM »

An average price decline of 2000 € a year is normal in Europe if you want to sell them.
The rare 2013 models were sold at 5600 € but are very rare

PittCaleb

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2018, 07:29:47 PM »

I had been looking for a used Zero for about 9 months.  They would rarely pop up here in the northeast.  And when they did, they'd be $10+ easy.

When I'd contact them, they'd all say "Blue Book says it's worth $11" or "I paid $18 for this, I can't let it go for less than..."

I'd tell them all, "I'm not saying you're bike isn't worth that, but it's not to me.  Please let me know if you decide to drop the price."

In Sep, 2 bikes popped in the Philly area.  An SR for $9900 and DSR for $9500.  I contacted both, the DSR guy, although polite, is convinced he'll get $11+ for it in the spring and won't budge at all.

The SR was funny...  responded with a counter, but still too high.  I watched as the Craigslist ad kept dropping.  Went to $8500, then $8000 and then last week dropped to $6999 and I was on the phone, called off work and rented a truck before 10 AM.  Under $7k for less than 3k miles for a 2015 SR 12.5.  No complaints here.

No idea what the guy with the DSR is going to get come spring, me thinks he's in for a rude awakening.  I would have bought it had he dropped the price, but at the NY Motorcycle show, I sat on one, way too high for my comfort, glad I found an S-series.  Must say, I have no need for the "r" but the price was right, it's just gonna be in Eco mode most of the time though.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2018, 11:56:11 PM »

Good deal Pitt.  At that price even if you had to replace the battery you paid less than new or at least close.
At some point the DIY crowd is going to figure out the parts and battery are worth more than what some of these bikes sell for, just like wrecked Teslas.
My local dealer drops the price by about $3500 every year and they get snatched up quick.

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2018, 11:56:10 AM »

FYI, there are 19 used 2015 + S/SR on Cycle Trader.  I would not hesitate to by a low miles bike and have it shipped.  I've done that for 3 of my last vehicles.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2018, 05:46:58 AM »

Wow, that's a bad UI.  I found it difficult, in Advanced Search, to even pick Zero Motorcycles, especially in Firefox.  And there are a bunch of "used" 2019, listed, so I think there are some errors.  I get 15 available S/SR/DS/DSR, nationwide USA, with this search, for 2015-2018:

https://www.cycletrader.com/2015-ZERO-DS-Zero-Motorcycles-Used-Motorcycles/motorcycles-for-sale?type=Motorcycle%7C356953&make=Zero%20Motorcycles%7C705321056&model=ZERO-DS%7C764969809%2CZERO-DSR%7C764969811%2CZERO-S%7C764864084%2CZERO-SR%7C764959264&condition=U&year=2015%3A2018&sort=price%3Aasc

Looks like there's a 2016 DSR for $7990 in Escondido CA.  That seams like a good deal.  There's an S for 8460 in Texas, and a SR for $9970 in Georgia.  If I was buying another one at this point, I'd try Killroy's advice.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Snafuperman

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2018, 07:19:37 AM »

I'm no longer looking to buy a Zero.  This may change, of course, at some later date.  Thank you for your replies -- they are much appreciated.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5