• May 04, 2024, 08:47:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Spliceable belt?  (Read 1327 times)

Erasmo

• View Profile
Spliceable belt?
« on: May 09, 2018, 02:08:23 AM »

Look what I stumbled upon, a spliceable toothed belt from France:

http://www.ero-joint.com/en/

Might be an interesting emergency belt?

yhafting

• View Profile
Re: Spliceable belt?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 02:54:05 PM »

Do you know how much one of those belts cost?

It did seem to me that they claim half the strength of the zero belt, which should get you home in ECO mode...

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 04:30:07 PM »

Do you know how much one of those belts cost?

It did seem to me that they claim half the strength of the zero belt, which should get you home in ECO mode...
They do have options for gates belts. I've sent them an email to ask for a few quotes. The main advantage of this is that it isn't locked to a single bike, handy when riding together.

ZEM Tahiti

• Zero Emission Motorcycles & Scooters Tahiti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 11:54:37 AM »

Quite interesting, specially for belts of MY16 and before.
Being able to change and return home even on eco mode, can change the mindset specially for agressive riding style,breaking their belt bellow 10 000km, and so in need of truck transport..
ZEM Tahiti stands for Zero Emission Motorcycles in Tahiti. Our island size is perfect for the electric range.

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 05:10:03 PM »

I asked them for information, but they replied that they have no compatible solution for my belt (Poly Chain® GT® Carbon™, 14mm width, 220 teeths spaced by 8mm), and that moreover they do not want to deal with individuals (and even speak to them apparently, since their answer was very short, and they did not answer to a second email that I sent in reply, with just 2 precise questions that could be answered by yes or no...).
Zero S 2023, Zero FXS 2016

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 08:34:29 PM »

I asked them for information, but they replied that they have no compatible solution for my belt (Poly Chain® GT® Carbon™, 14mm width, 220 teeths spaced by 8mm), and that moreover they do not want to deal with individuals (and even speak to them apparently, since their answer was very short, and they did not answer to a second email that I sent in reply, with just 2 precise questions that could be answered by yes or no...).

At one time apparently BMW was using a Gates belt to drive one of their 650cc single models and their F800ST. Since BMW wanted a whole lot of money for that belt there were BMW owners all over the forums looking for alternatives.  One fellow even mentioned that he worked for Gates and was told that he could not buy the belt directly from them under any circumstances.  Since then, BMW has sourced the belts for their F800GT models from another brand, Continental, I believe.  Now the older model belts can be obtained from other sources for the earlier bikes, but still not for the GT.  Apparently, when BMW contracts with belt manufacturers they are guaranteed that they will not sell that belt to anyone but BMW for a certain period of time. That way BMW can resell the belt for probably five times what they pay for it through their parts distribution system.  It could be the same way with Zero, too - although they apparently do not jack up their prices nearly as much a does BMW.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 08:20:33 PM »

The search for one has slowed down a bit here. After my holiday I might see if I can make my old belt splice-able, but for now it needs to be whole because it's my backup belt for the upcoming trip.

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 01:16:56 AM »

.......14mm width, 220 teeths spaced by 8mm........

Doing a bit of investigation based on the above info from gt13013

So the belt is 14mm wide with 220@8mm on-center teeth
That makes it a 1760mm long x 14mm wide with 8mm pitch or 1760-8m-14

Found this
http://catalog.fnsheppard.com/item/urethane-timing-belts-pitch/mechanical-pin-splice-urethane-timing-belts/item-1130
Note not recommended for drive belt applications.

There are timing belts in this configuration https://www.vbeltguys.com/products/1760-8m-14-synchronous-timing-belt that PERHAPS can be utilized as a spare/limp home belt???
(Note this one uses fiberglass cords & may not be strong enough). 

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 01:21:09 AM by ESokoloff »
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 11:08:50 PM »

If somebody wants to test this a couple of km when they're changing belts anyway I'm willing to pay for that second belt.

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 12:04:48 AM »

I would be more interested by the urethane spliceable belts. Even if they are not as strong as the original belts, knowing that it is easy to reduce the torque using the custom mode of the bike (I think I remember down to 10% of the maximum torque), they could probably allow to repair easily on the road and go back to a repair place with reduced torque and speed.
Zero S 2023, Zero FXS 2016

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 10:32:54 AM »

How about this https://texasbelting.com/products/gates-1760-8mgt-12 as a permanently stored spare? (Installed through swing arm but coiled & tucked out of the way).
It's only 12mm wide so will loose about 15% but the cords are carbon fiber so MAY be a better solution (limp home) then a 14mm wide but with not as strong (cords).

I wonder if you could purchase a belt that's too wide & successfully cut it to fit?
Eric
2016 Zero DSR
Pages: [1]