• May 04, 2024, 09:06:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2015 Zero SR 12V accessory socket install  (Read 988 times)

JediLeba

• View Profile
2015 Zero SR 12V accessory socket install
« on: September 12, 2018, 11:11:55 PM »

I bought my 2015 Zero SR a few weeks ago, and my dealer wants $122 (out-the-door price) to buy and install the 12V accessory socket. The part on Zero’s site says $50, and my dealer says 30min for installation. My question is: if I just buy the part through the dealer, is installation really very difficult? I’m not a mechanic, but I feel fairly comfortable about looking at assemblies and being able to figure stuff out. Is the socket install just a plug’n’play item, and then securing the wiring against movement?

I’d like to save the ~$50 of the installation cost if I can do it myself. Also, would the socket be a generic device that I could get elsewhere for less? I sort of don’t think Zero could have a proprietary 12V socket that is required for their bikes.

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_5&products_id=206&zenid=3od3o7p0uron06gv12a8sv9ro4

ashnazg

• View Profile
2015 Zero SR
2015 Zero FX (previous bike)
2011 Zero XU (previous bike)

Doug S

• View Profile
Re: 2015 Zero SR 12V accessory socket install
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 02:13:00 AM »

My only issue with installing mine was getting any sort of tool up into the cavity on the backside to secure the large nut -- it's almost inaccessible. My longest-nosed pliers sort of did the trick but I had (have) no confidence in how tight I managed to get it. I've toyed with 3D printing up a tool to do precisely that job, now that I have my 3D printer, but it's been installed for a couple of years now and it hasn't come loose, so....eh.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

JediLeba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 03:08:51 AM »

https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Common_Modifications#12V_Accessory_Power

Thank you! I checked out a portion of the page and am bookmarking it. That looks like a ton of great info. I need to look at the rest of that site, too. I keep forgetting about it.

From what I saw there so far, I can do the add myself, I just need to be pro-active about getting it done. I didn’t see for sure, but I suppose generic (sub-$50) sockets will work just fine. Also, since all I’m doing is charging my devices, I see no reason to not just make it a USB outlet instead of the 12V socket that I would still have to have another adapter to even use. Thanks again! Definitely saving me at least $100 with that link.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 12:09:40 PM »

I bought my 2015 Zero SR a few weeks ago, and my dealer wants $122 (out-the-door price) to buy and install the 12V accessory socket. The part on Zero’s site says $50, and my dealer says 30min for installation. My question is: if I just buy the part through the dealer, is installation really very difficult? I’m not a mechanic, but I feel fairly comfortable about looking at assemblies and being able to figure stuff out. Is the socket install just a plug’n’play item, and then securing the wiring against movement?

I’d like to save the ~$50 of the installation cost if I can do it myself. Also, would the socket be a generic device that I could get elsewhere for less? I sort of don’t think Zero could have a proprietary 12V socket that is required for their bikes.

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_5&products_id=206&zenid=3od3o7p0uron06gv12a8sv9ro4
I installed one in each of my Zeros. My DS was easy. Simply plug in, but I still did remove the plastic.

But with my SR with the power tank, I gave up trying to find the connector and that was with as much plastic as I could reasonably take off.

So here is what I did.

I ran my own wire from the 12 volt (really is 13.8 volts) accessory fuse to the accessory socket. In the process, I discovered the "12 volts" doesn't use the bike's frame for a ground. So for the negative return, I used the common (cold side ) of the head light.

All works fine that way, I never found the bike's connector. Perhaps it's buried deep under the power tank battery but I didn't want to bother with removing the power tank and smaller battery.

I cut off the connector on the accessory socket and just used the wires.

I also added a switch so I can turn off the headlamp so I can draw a little more current  from the accessory socket without the ten amp accessory fuse blowing, such as if I need to use the accessory socket for a tire pump.

I normally use this socket to plug in my GPS, but I can remove the plug to use it for other 12/13.8 volt stuff.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X