• May 07, 2024, 09:58:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Packing Peanuts inside the Motor  (Read 1596 times)

___

• View Profile
Packing Peanuts inside the Motor
« on: April 25, 2013, 04:08:47 AM »

Hello, everybody! Here's the story: I have a 2010 Zero DS that had some burned brushes. I shipped the motor to Zero for service and when I got it back, a handful of packing peanuts managed to wedge themselves inside the motor. I can turn the gearshaft with my hand and hear the peanuts moving around. I called Zero customer support and the guy I spoke to said it should be fine to run as is, that they'll disintegrate or get pushed out.

So, here's the question: does this guy know what he's talking about? Running a motor with foreign material inside just sounds like a recipe for disaster, but I know nothing about electric motors.

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
Re: Packing Peanuts inside the Motor
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 07:15:55 AM »

The foam peanuts are mostly air with small amount of soft plastic like a sponge, and motor is steel / metal.  I think motor would just cut or grind them up until small bits blow out, I try and remove as much as possible with long nose pliers or tweezers.

I would email zero and confirm the advice to the foam in motor, having it in writing gives you come back compared to phone call.

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 07:49:40 PM »

I'd still worry a bit. If that plastic/hydrocarbon in those peanuts melts and gets on the brushes, you may be in for a new set sooner than you otherwise would.

If you have an air compressor, maybe you cal blow them out?
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log

___

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 11:42:02 PM »

Thanks for the advice, both of you. I got most of them out with some compressed air, but there's still one or two stubborn ones. I'll continue to work on it, since I need to wait for the motor cover to come in the mail anyway.

firepower, that's a good point about getting something in writing. I'm going to do that today.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 09:32:23 PM »

The motor should have been sealed in a plastic bag before the peanuts were packed in around it. Just good standard shipping practice that Zero needs to adopt. No excuse for getting packing material inside the motor.  >:(

Trikester

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 08:11:57 AM »

Peanuts are worthless packing material.   Within a few minutes of shipping on the truck the load shakes through the peanuts and as is resting on the edge of the box.

They serve only to annoy the receiver of the shipment.
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

___

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 08:05:08 PM »

Couldn't agree more on both counts. When I sent the motor, I wrapped the sucker in bubble wrap.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 08:31:24 PM »

I love to pop bubble wrap.  But for packing, you can't bet those air-pillow things that you can also pop and take up almost no space in the garbage when deflated.   :)

And I really hate foam peanuts.  They take up a ton of room in the garbage (and therefore the landfill) and the recycling company will not accept them.  As near as I can tell they are useless - except for lining motorcycle helmets.   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Tudor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 01:53:10 PM »

I had to google 'packaging peanuts' =). I didn't know the term but of course i recognize the product.. Seems to me like a relic from the 70's, or are they the starch-based biodegradable ones? i get most things in corrugated paper/cardboard or bubble wrap/air cushions.

Well, sorry for going off topic on such off topic topic..
guess I need more coffee...
Pages: [1]