• May 06, 2024, 09:47:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: A Fundraiser for Brian  (Read 4145 times)

alko

• View Profile
Re: A Fundraiser for Brian
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2019, 02:06:46 AM »

Forgive me if I've missed this.
I've already gladly and gratefully sent some money to this worthy cause. But I not really clear on some important details, and where the money is going. Was Brian hurt and our donations are to help with medical costs, or is he uninjured and it's all about replacing a damaged e-moto? Was he at fault? If not, the other guy's insurance will buy Brian a Rolls Royce rather than go to court.
I'm good either way.
Just a thought, if you want this to go even larger: A "I support Brian", electric moto thing, or similar tshirt would be a cool reward for contributing. Just might pay for itself 10 times over.

Read the gofundme page. It will answer your questions.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2019, 09:55:14 AM »

Forgive me if I've missed this.
I've already gladly and gratefully sent some money to this worthy cause. But I not really clear on some important details, and where the money is going. Was Brian hurt and our donations are to help with medical costs, or is he uninjured and it's all about replacing a damaged e-moto? Was he at fault? If not, the other guy's insurance will buy Brian a Rolls Royce rather than go to court.
I'm good either way.

See here.

Also see here.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 10:12:12 AM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2019, 12:09:51 AM »

Hello from my home in SF. I’m still tube fed and outpatient but was only in the hospital for two weeks with two surgeries.

First I want to thank all of you for forming a fund and donating at all. It really makes me feel appreciated especially being isolated for a while.

For my recovery, they’re rebuilding my mouth and nose (but my jaw and tongue are fine). I don’t know how this will pan out but am just grateful any compensation might improve my chances at getting back to normal. I’m in no inclination to waste funds but I also have no clear picture on the financials here. If I somehow turn up overcompensated by some miracle, I’ll be glad to put the funds to some appropriate nonprofit use. I do know the CHP rules I was not at fault and there’s more in reports to consult to see for sure what various insurance companies will make of this.

I wish I could say how I might have improved my response to the situation but I only saw cables for the briefest of moments before my world got violent and messy.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2019, 12:15:38 AM »

Brian,

I am glad to see you posting again! This forum wasn't the same without you. And I am hoping you have a quick recovery!

-Don- (recharging at the Library in Sacramento at 6.3 KWs with my new chargers)
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2019, 01:40:13 AM »

I’m in no inclination to waste funds but I also have no clear picture on the financials here.

You should at least consider lawsuits as well as various insurance claims. It's well-known that PG&E isn't maintaining anything these days, including cutting back risky brush and trees. Sounds like that could be a very big factor in what happened to you. I'm guessing you're not the litigious sort (you're too honest and straightforward for that) but you should at least think about it. You'd be one of few people suing for the right reasons.

I hear what you're saying about not understanding the financials, too. I just got out of the hospital a few weeks ago (pulmonary embolii) and it's really irritating how they just expect you to write a blank check that they'll fill the number in on later. I was conscious and aware the whole time, so I was able to force them to give me some estimates BEFORE I'd allow procedures to be done, but it was like pulling teeth, and I know that almost nobody does it (or is in a position to do it -- emergency treatment must come first, after all).

Best of luck navigating the maze and getting healthy. Count your blessings, too. Recovery ain't no fun, but it's waaaay better than the alternative.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2019, 02:14:52 AM »

Really glad to hear from you again Brian. Best of luck!

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2019, 02:52:58 AM »

Thanks. Naturally, I can’t discuss what I would consider about the original cause. I’ll do my best.

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2019, 06:55:49 PM »

It's great to hear from you again Brian.  I wish you all the best with your recovery.  Try to keep a positive outlook.  One day this will all be behind you.
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

GoThere@50

• Old, but still off-road able.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2019, 09:01:42 PM »

Wishing you a good recovery. It's great to see you active on this forum again!
He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery. -Harold Wilson

droidish

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2019, 01:26:20 AM »

I just saw this thread this morning, l haven’t been on here much lately. Chipped in what I could, and I wish it was more.

Brian, it is fantastic that you are up and running enough to post here. I wish you a fast and full recovery, and look forward to hearing that you are back in the saddle.
Michael

'17 Zero SR
'03 Suzuki DR-Z400

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2019, 08:29:16 AM »

So good to hear from remarkably magnanimous Brian. I/we all wish him the best.
Brian understandably and appropriately is saying nothing much about his crash. As a rider of modest ability, I am always eager to learn from others’ mishaps, in order to perhaps avoid the same misfortune. Does anyone have more to add than “cables”?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
A Fundraiser for Brian
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2019, 08:38:52 AM »

I have the CHP report and I’m awaiting another report. There are witness statements for me to process. I’ll try to account for everything once I’ve read through fully, but it seems I just got caught at the wrong place and time (time of day and lighting angle seem to have played some part). I know I saw cables, but they probably distracted me from the ones that hit me, and there really wasn’t much time to evaluate the situation.

I think my only quick takeaway personally so far is that it seems wisest if you see cables or the like on the road or suspended wrong, to brake hard and swerve to get drivers attention behind you so you aren’t rear ended. That would at least have bought a bit of time and shed momentum, but I cannot say whether it would have done me better, just that I wish I’d done that instead of preparing to coast over a ground hazard.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 08:42:03 AM by BrianTRice »

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2019, 12:55:40 AM »

So good to hear from remarkably magnanimous Brian. I/we all wish him the best.
Brian understandably and appropriately is saying nothing much about his crash. As a rider of modest ability, I am always eager to learn from others’ mishaps, in order to perhaps avoid the same misfortune. Does anyone have more to add than “cables”?

Did you read the gofundme page? It explains it pretty well.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/brian-t-rice

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2019, 10:19:06 AM »

Un-sticky as Brian is stable and the irony of an EV rider getting their ass kicked by a downed powerline is the kind of sticky-topic award no one should win ever again.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2019, 10:27:41 AM »

I see it's getting  very close to ten grand. I am glad to see so much support, almost double what was expected, but I am hoping it actually gets to the ten grand mark.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X