• May 06, 2024, 05:09:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: A Fundraiser for Brian  (Read 4143 times)

pacificcricket

• View Profile
Re: A Fundraiser for Brian
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2019, 10:41:27 PM »

Please Please Please keep this thread on topic.

Weather is nice today.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2019, 04:55:09 AM »

Weather is nice today.
A little  too hot here, around 100°F!

IMO, we should communicate normally in forums just as we do normally face to face,   in person, which usually means different topics come up.

Often there is very good info. in these hijacked threads.

So I have wondered for years who first came up with that stupid rule that we must stay on topic. I strongly disagree, except in some rather rare cases where it is best to stay on topic, but again, just like in a face to face conversation.

Usually after a few messages, the main part of the OP's question or whatever is answered anyway.

-Don- Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2019, 06:17:19 AM »

I agree completely that in most threads a wide ranging exchange of information and ideas is great.

But this thread is different.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 08:44:53 AM by heroto »

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2019, 06:51:37 AM »

I agree completely that in most threads a wide ranging exchange of information and ideas is great.
But this thread is different.
I don't think much more can be said on this topic, other than the fact that it's now up to $9, 265.00.

And BTW, it is 99F here in Auburn. :)

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2019, 01:18:11 PM »

More can be said:

This man, who has selflessly helped many or most on this forum has gotten a raw deal.

We can help fix that.
Please stay on topic, which is the funrasier. The other stuff you're talking about should be here.

-Don-
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2019, 05:20:20 AM »

Weather is nice today.
IMO, we should communicate normally in forums just as we do normally face to face,   in person, which usually means different topics come up.

Often there is very good info. in these hijacked threads.

So I have wondered for years who first came up with that stupid rule that we must stay on topic. I strongly disagree, except in some rather rare cases where it is best to stay on topic, but again, just like in a face to face conversation.
Brian ... any thoughts here? 

BTW, hope you've got a good lawyer. After my recent crash (a mosquito bite, compared to yours) I learned I could sue my insurance company for pain and suffering. Who knew?  And it works.  And I won't publicly post any details until the case is settled. (Brian, if interested PM me)

We're really close to ten grand, gals and guys. Let's make it happen!
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2019, 01:21:29 AM »

BTW, hope you've got a good lawyer. After my recent crash (a mosquito bite, compared to yours) I learned I could sue my insurance company for pain and suffering. Who knew?  And it works.

Great. I bet insurance company will take a loss to settle the lawsuit for your benefit, and for the benefit of their other customers... Nah, more likely the insurance company will increase the rates for all of their customers to settle your, and any future lawsuits. The only party that benefits from this situation is lawyers.

Keep America suing, my friends!

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2019, 06:00:39 AM »

The only party that benefits from this situation is lawyers.

Keep America suing, my friends!
That was my first reaction. And my first questions to my lawyer were something like: 1) what will it cost me if I win/lose? If I win, what is your commission/percentage?

To my (great) surprise, the answers were: 1) unless the law firm collects $, doesn't cost me anything (caveat below); 2)  35%

Caveat: If we go to trial there are expenses (expert witnesses, etc). And the ruling could go against us. So possibly $ out of my pocket. But, prior to trial (which is a last resort) the insurance company either denies everything (no $ out of my pocket) or offers a settlement. In my case they offered a settlement. My lawyer (with my consent) countered with (something like), "that's just a standard 3x medical bills. We believe more is justified."

Am waiting to see what happens. I don't plan to go to trial. Initial offer was ... 1/2 of an SR/F -- after lawyer fees and medical insurance subrogation.

Though I wished I hadn't crashed ... this has been an interesting learning experience.

2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2019, 10:22:56 AM »

That was my first reaction. And my first questions to my lawyer were something like: 1) what will it cost me if I win/lose? If I win, what is your commission/percentage?

To my (great) surprise, the answers were: 1) unless the law firm collects $, doesn't cost me anything (caveat below); 2)  35%

Caveat: If we go to trial there are expenses (expert witnesses, etc). And the ruling could go against us. So possibly $ out of my pocket. But, prior to trial (which is a last resort) the insurance company either denies everything (no $ out of my pocket) or offers a settlement. In my case they offered a settlement. My lawyer (with my consent) countered with (something like), "that's just a standard 3x medical bills. We believe more is justified."

Am waiting to see what happens. I don't plan to go to trial. Initial offer was ... 1/2 of an SR/F -- after lawyer fees and medical insurance subrogation.

Though I wished I hadn't crashed ... this has been an interesting learning experience.

Pretty sure you misunderstood what I was saying. All these lawsuits and settlements are paid out of our pockets. Basically it's another fundraiser, for you, but insurance company and lawyers take their cut. A form of redistribution in the capitalist society :)

GaryArt1

• Ride with Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2019, 07:09:31 PM »

Pretty sure you misunderstood what I was saying. All these lawsuits and settlements are paid out of our pockets. Basically it's another fundraiser, for you, but insurance company and lawyers take their cut. A form of redistribution in the capitalist society :)
I can see what your saying and I agree that if you start making stuff up as part of your claim(not saying this is the case in the least bit) it verges on fraud and we all pay for it.  Saying that, if the claims are justified and the pain and suffering occurred, then you have all right to get a just settlement.  We pay the insurance companies a lot of money just for situations like this and what usually happens is when an accident occurs, they try to low ball us with a settlements to maximize their profits.  They are some of the richest companies in the world.  They do this by never losing.  If they have to payout, they raise the rates to keep the profits from diminishing.  Now that is true capitalism.  So instead of blaming the guy who get's into an accident and is looking for a fair settlement after years of paying into the insurance profits, lets look at the greed of some of these huge insurance companies.  And don't even get me started on the lawyers. 
Currently own: 
2020 Blue Zero SR/F Premium
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2019, 12:27:39 AM »

So, my next facial reconstruction surgery was moved up to next week! Then I’ll heal up for a week while a plan for installing teeth is worked out.

In the meantime I’m in a bit of pain from the facial structure still not fully together, and trying to keep my pre-surgery tissue together and body as healthy as possible.

The question regarding riding is when my face will be able to sit safely in a helmet. I think that’ll take a while yet.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

kashography

• View Profile
    • e-motorrad.ch
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2019, 02:19:50 PM »

Thanks for the Update! I hope your surgeries heal fast and that the pain is manageble. Stay strong!
  • 200km with one charge (was too easy)
  • 300km in a day
  • 400km in a day
  • 500km in a day (550+km)
  • 600km in a day
    driven in [5] out of 6 nearby countries

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2019, 04:43:11 AM »

Someone tagged me on Facebook asking how I was doing, so I composed an update. I'm copying it here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/zmcowners/permalink/2368431903226004/?comment_id=2369068366495691

I just went through my fourth (depends on how you count) surgery seven days ago. They're rebuilding my facial bones and tissue around the nose and upper mouth.

The hope is that once it all fuses and heals, that I can get teeth implants installed. Currently, it seems to be going as planned.

I can speak more easily than after the prior surgery that put the bones and tissue in but left me with bulk that made it hard to drink or speak. I'm also thankfully in less pain (the pain is smaller, more occasional, but sharper) and more lucid.

My body itself is fine, with remaining scar tissue all fused, and generally I have plenty of energy although my stamina is low.

If I had to explain in a sentence why I'm not riding yet, it's that I have a tube to my stomach and if I fell on my face, it would be BAD. So putting a helmet on is a no-go still.

I don't know how long this will all take, but it's been 9 weeks since the accident, so this is going about as quickly as I can imagine. Honestly, my body heals a lot faster than average in some ways.

I'm still practically stuck at home and would appreciate visitors, and I'm mostly self-sufficient although my girlfriend runs grocery errands for me.

My recent milestones were: drank a beer, ate some soup, and walked a mile or so in a park.

There's some titanium underneath holding all the new bones and tissue in place, which right now is the main source of pain. It's sort of weird being able to move most of your body, but having to hold your face very still.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]