• May 19, 2024, 10:33:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: KTM E-XC Freeride won't start  (Read 1812 times)

lauris47

• View Profile
KTM E-XC Freeride won't start
« on: May 28, 2021, 11:18:19 PM »

Hi, I have first major problem after riding my electric KTM for 7000km.

I live in Denmark and it rains a lot. I was driving the last 3 years all year-round, in rain, snow and in minus temperatures.

From time to time my bike got wet, but there was no serious issues before.

After the ride home from work in small rain, I could not start the bike in the morning. All electronics work except for the main battery display (where you can also choose riding mode). There is also no sound coming from it as usual, nor error indication, it is simply dead. I checked the wire connection, it is not wet and it is clean.

When I switch the ignition I hear (I think the usual) clicking sound under the small battery, lights comes up, but pressing start button does nothing. The kill switch works fine, as it invokes the clicking sound under the battery, also it is very clean ant not wet inside. Key does the same, so I think those work.

I am pretty good with fixing combustion bikes, engines, mechanics etc, but electronics are scary!

I know that this computer can get wet, even from inside, as it is not sealed well. It can even get wet from the moisture. I fixed this issue a year ago by sealing it with silicon. I don't think it is wet, of course down the track I will de-glue it and make sure. Usually when it becomes even slightly moisture, you can see small wet bubbles on the plastic from inside. Not this time.

I checked all fuses, all is good.

I don't know if it is related to it being wet as it seen much much worse, hundred times before.

Did anyone had this issue? Where do I even start? Manual relies a lot on error indication led, which does not work in my case.

Thank you.

tmgofer

• View Profile
Re: KTM E-XC Freeride won't start
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 01:07:07 PM »

Just by curiosity, have you been talking to anyone from KTM service?

lauris47

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 09:39:10 PM »

(Irrelevant)
No I haven't, for the reasons: prices in Denmark are insane when it comes to fixing, owning or buying any kind of vehicle. e.g. any car or motorcycle tax is 100-180% + the vehicle price, lets say in Sweden or Germany. 2 I doubt that local KTM resellers can fix electric bikes, you need special electricians for this I assume. Regardless, if I fail fixing myself, I will seek their help if they are able to help.

(Answer)
Anyway, so-far I narrowed down the problem to that 12volts is not send back from the engine to the "Battery Charging-level Control". Engine gets 12 volts though. I can bypass the engine, and supply this module with 12v and then system boots up successfully (not sure if bike would drive though, as  I did not put in main battery. Also I think bypassing is a bad idea, maybe there is some damage somewhere that must be fixed.)

I would like to get electronic schematics though. I have regular manual, but such info is not there of course.

Just by curiosity, have you been talking to anyone from KTM service?

tmgofer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 02:12:45 AM »

lauris47, have you been able to solve the problem?
Pages: [1]