• May 16, 2024, 07:26:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Symptom of a toasted charger?  (Read 4114 times)

alby62

• View Profile
Re: Symptom of a toasted charger?
« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2020, 09:02:59 PM »

buongiorno a  tutti,   mi chiamo alberto   scrivo  dall 'italia ,  ho un problema  con la  ricarica  della  mia  zero  ds 13 kw   caricatore da  1.5 kw    + uno quik da  1 kw ,  la
 batteria moto  stamattina  era  al  56%    dopo 3 ore  si sarebbe  dovuta  ricaricare  al 100% , mentre  me la  sono ritrovata  al 86 % , ho spento e  riacceso il tutto , si sente  che  il caricatore  interno attacca , ma  dopo 15 secondi  sembra  che  si spegne  , mentre la batteria  piano piano i ricarica  col quik.  voi che  avete  + esperienza cosa  può essere , è la  prima  volta  che  mi capita. grazie  pe r le  eventuali risposte. saluti  alberto

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2020, 10:14:06 PM »

buongiorno a  tutti,   mi chiamo alberto   scrivo  dall 'italia ,  ho un problema  con la  ricarica  della  mia  zero  ds 13 kw   caricatore da  1.5 kw    + uno quik da  1 kw ,  la
 batteria moto  stamattina  era  al  56%    dopo 3 ore  si sarebbe  dovuta  ricaricare  al 100% , mentre  me la  sono ritrovata  al 86 % , ho spento e  riacceso il tutto , si sente  che  il caricatore  interno attacca , ma  dopo 15 secondi  sembra  che  si spegne  , mentre la batteria  piano piano i ricarica  col quik.  voi che  avete  + esperienza cosa  può essere , è la  prima  volta  che  mi capita. grazie  pe r le  eventuali risposte. saluti  alberto
Try not using the on board charger at all, just the Q-charger ONLY, but leave the bike keyed on and see if it then charges to full. Charge rate will only be 1 KW, but that will prove the problem in the bike's on-board charger not keeping the contractor closed.

Leaving the bike keyed on while charging will keep  the contactor closed so  then the  Q-charger will work alone, without the on-board charger.

-Don- Reno, NV, USA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

alby62

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2020, 11:37:23 AM »

thank you  dear Don, now  i tray  that  you  write me,   you are  very friends .  my costumer tray to call  oland's  peaple  but  is more holydays  ???   so much !!!, is possible, that  there is not another  man  in the factori?

alby62

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2020, 12:38:58 PM »

i tray, the  light  of  quik  is  on the  green + yellow (  C+ D)  but  after  3 - 5 minutes   change  in   yellow  + red  (  d+e)
so   i think that  charge  is ok , bat  the  battery  more  of 76%  dont'go more .
 the  bike  don't   ave  erronr 
 the  lights  of bms   when the bike  is ON ,   are  red + green + green   is like  a  75% battery charge
when the  bike  is of in charge   the  lights  of bms   is  red+ green + green   go for  500 ms,  and off for 5 sec ( this is not write on the manual)
 the bike is off no charge  bms light is  green the  fuor's light 50 ms on  and 2 sec off. the manual    tell  no problem , so i don't  know ,
 now  i  stand by  the  delear   for  maby change  the  battery . 
 thank you Don  for  help me .
by 
Albert  Varese  italy

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 12, 2020, 03:48:33 AM »

I just happened to check the bottom of my Zero while it was charging with the OBC and noticed that the skid plate was kind of warm. So I checked its temperature and did seem to running a fever. About 110 degrees F. I assume that the charger box itself is warmer than that, but I wasn't up to removing the skid plate to take its temperature as I had better things to do. I really wonder why Zero couldn't just install a small fan in front of the charger box to get rid of any heat while it is charging?  ??? Seems like an easy thing to do and I bet the Chinese sell small 12V fans pretty cheap, especially when they are bought in bulk.   ::)  I don't know if it would do any good, but I always say it is the thought that counts.  ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 12, 2020, 04:05:25 AM »

A small fan in the skidplate?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 12, 2020, 04:46:11 AM »

Seems like an easy thing to do and I bet the Chinese sell small 12V fans pretty cheap, especially when they are bought in bulk.   ::)  I don't know if it would do any good, but I always say it is the thought that counts.  ;)
The fan will probably crap out before the charger, as happened with my Energica. But it certainly should help with the charger reliability issue. If they can make it so the fan is easy to replace, it would be a good idea.

An even better idea is get the charger efficiency so high that it doesn't get hot! But I don't expect that to happen anytime soon.

BTW, I have used fans on my Zeros while charging at home on very hot days. Just keeping the area around that skid plate cool should help by blowing the heat off. It cannot hurt. Also, you can reduce the heat a little by using 240 VAC instead of 120 VAC, as the charger is more efficient at 240 VAC. That  means less heat and a hair more power to charging, it could also reduce your charge time by a full minute or so! :)

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 12, 2020, 04:52:06 AM »

On the off chance that someone wanted to make the modification themselves I found these, IP67 rated 25mm and 40mm fans. Not sure what you'd wire them to so they only come on when charging, could always wire them to a switch and turn them on manually I guess.

https://www.coolerguys.com/collections/waterproof-resistant-fans/products/coolerguys-25mm-25x25x10-ip67-12v-fan
https://www.coolerguys.com/collections/waterproof-resistant-fans/products/coolerguys-40mm-40x40x20-ip67-fan

alby62

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 23, 2020, 12:07:44 PM »

ho scoperto che  ricaricando la  batteria  partendo da  percentuali inferiori all 10% di DOD , la batteria  ad ogni ricarica  guadagna  capacità, ora   da un minimo del 75% è arrivata  al 82%, comunque  venerdì porto la moto dal concessionario di Milano, perchè  lunedì arriva  il tecnico dall'olanda  per  vedere il problema  , se  è la  batteria  o il caricabatterie ,ma  se fosse il carica  batterie   ha  problemi anche  il quik esterno, perchè anch'esso si ferma  ...per ora  al 82%  .
 mentre  l'idea  di mettere la  ventola  nel caricabatteria  è una  buona  idea  ,credevo che  non esistessero dei ventilatori ip 67 cosi piccoli  ,comunque si potrebbe  ventilare  dall'esterno  appoggiando il ventilatore   davanti alla  griglia   del para caricatore ,  la prossima  ricarica proverò a toccare  il fondo della  moto per vedere  se scalda  o no,  qui in italia  si carica  col 220 volt
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 12:14:37 PM by alby62 »

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2020, 11:24:33 PM »

Good luck, @alby62!

That does sound like a dying charger.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

alby62

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2020, 10:58:09 PM »

thank you Crissa

TnFred

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2020, 06:44:21 PM »

History - 2016 Zero FXS, re-built title, finally ran fine after mostly cosmetic and protection parts replacement. it had "slid out" but appeared to cause no structural damage with 40 miles on the clock.
   Did a creek crossing, water just under pegs for approx. 4', splash over my hiking boots. Rode for another 50+ miles in dry weather. Also I did drop it on the side (left facing forward) unloading it at the end of the day, approx 2'. Plugged in that night at 17%,  unplugged that night at 49% charge, never worked again.
Error Codes : 
Main - 15- Charger attached but not charging
          45- Kickstand switch disable
          47- MBB charger connected disable
Occasionally or once (before cleaning as many plugs as I could find)
     6- BMS throttle enable wire error
    25- Contactor open warning
    44- Kill switch disable
    55- Internal fault error
   Kickstand switch would not work at all until I scrapped back the sheathing and shot it with WD-40, worked after that sort of. Ordered a new one.
   Also ordered a Green Watt OBC
   The original would take 10 plus hours to go from 40% to full charge when it worked. So I think it was starting to wear out when I got it.
   Am I on the right path? any comments will be welcome, take care and stay healthy,

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2020, 07:41:58 PM »

History - 2016 Zero FXS, re-built title, finally ran fine after mostly cosmetic and protection parts replacement. it had "slid out" but appeared to cause no structural damage with 40 miles on the clock.
   Did a creek crossing, water just under pegs for approx. 4', splash over my hiking boots. Rode for another 50+ miles in dry weather. Also I did drop it on the side (left facing forward) unloading it at the end of the day, approx 2'. Plugged in that night at 17%,  unplugged that night at 49% charge, never worked again.
Error Codes : 
Main - 15- Charger attached but not charging
          45- Kickstand switch disable
          47- MBB charger connected disable
Occasionally or once (before cleaning as many plugs as I could find)
     6- BMS throttle enable wire error
    25- Contactor open warning
    44- Kill switch disable
    55- Internal fault error
   Kickstand switch would not work at all until I scrapped back the sheathing and shot it with WD-40, worked after that sort of. Ordered a new one.
   Also ordered a Green Watt OBC
   The original would take 10 plus hours to go from 40% to full charge when it worked. So I think it was starting to wear out when I got it.
   Am I on the right path? any comments will be welcome, take care and stay healthy,

It would seem to me that replacing your OBC should get your bike running again. I hope that a toasted charger is the only problem and there is nothing more involved than that. Chargers are easy to replace, tracking down electrical issues such as corroded connections, less so.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

TnFred

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 29, 2020, 09:29:13 PM »

Thanks will let everyone know when I have results.

TnFred

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 11, 2020, 09:45:04 PM »

New charger installed - Works !!!!!!
   Possible conclusions:
   Creek crossing allowed water to enter the Kickstand switch as WD-40 cured the problem usually, unit was replaced. No effect on charging except the error code was eliminated. Seems to be a bad location and orientation for the switch. grease it up often and stay out of creeks. By the way NEVER use WD-40 on  or in a key lock, it will seize up after a few applications, I use "white lube (lithium), or graphite. WD stands for Water Displacement.
   New charger states on the unit "Must use a cord rated at 15 Amps". I was using an old 18 gauge (Rated at approx 8 amps) computer power cord. Found a 14 gauge at my computer guru's place from an old server. Rated at 15 amps. I believe I was starving the OBC for amps and volts, stressing the transformer. The new one has a lot less heat and charges a little faster. Doubt the creek crossing had anything to do with the charger. Now to put it all back together and enjoy. Thoughts are welcome, and thanks.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9