• May 05, 2024, 08:32:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 2013 Review  (Read 6095 times)

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
Re: 2013 Review
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 04:37:18 PM »

yes, more reviews pls ! Harlan, pls make it compulsory for your customers to join this forum and write a review  :)
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 11:08:43 PM »

I'll have my FX in the desert for the first time later this week. I won't get to do much dirt riding, however, because this is a big annual antique motorcycle ride meet in Borrego Springs and I'll be spending a lot of my time with that event (riding my 1954 AJS - 18CS).

I will report back here on my impressions from the desert riding I do get on the FX. One good test, that won't take a lot of time, is the technical single track that winds around my 11.2 acres. I've ridden it enough on my DS to get a feel for the comparison and I could even do both bikes one after the other to compare.

BTW - The penalty for a fall on my trail is cholla cactus (the "jumping" cactus) and teddy bear cholla, lots of both lining the trail. :o

Trikester

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 01:05:50 AM »

Hi Flar,

Thanks for your answer, I would really like to test ride an Empulse once.

...my understanding that Zero did originally have sharper response on their earlier models...

There was a brushed DC motor in use, there the voltage ~ rotation dependency is different. But I can live with the lower acceleration if I have a brushless (maintain free) motor.
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

EastSider

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 06:15:29 AM »

yes, more reviews pls ! Harlan, pls make it compulsory for your customers to join this forum and write a review  :)

It hardly seems fair, but Harlan sold me the first 2013 DS they were shipped, and it is my first moto, electric or ICE, and it is an amazing machine! As a new rider, I don't have other bikes to compare to, (other than the Honda 250 I used in an MSF class last weekend-to which there is really no comparison) but for a novice it has PLENTY of torque, especially when humming uphill on mountain roads. I REALLY like the 70% regen brake affect with the throttle forward, but I can see decreasing that in the future. The acceleration is very smooth, linear, and the bike gives great Throttle Therapy! It is heavy for a novice, but sturdy, balanced, and I think I can get used to the weight ;)

EastSider

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 09:37:19 AM »

The motorcycle mechanic next door to my shop keeps those Honda 250's and other similar bikes running for the MSF classes in SoCal. He may buy my 2010 DS to commute from his home to his business. If that happens, he will work on ICE bikes all day and then ride home on a Zero electric.

Is this a changing world?

Trikester

EastSider

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 09:38:55 PM »

That's great, very telling. Should be a good promo for Zero too!

EastSider
Pages: 1 [2]