• May 05, 2024, 06:00:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Thank God for Traction Control  (Read 234 times)

Specter

• View Profile
Thank God for Traction Control
« on: April 07, 2024, 08:52:13 AM »

So I head out to the American Legion today at about 11 am because we had an event, and I had to cook.
so here we are at 930 PM and I finally am back home.
They have been working on the road leading up to my subdivision the past few weeks, getting ready to redo it, the dump trucks tore it all up.

Well, between the time I left and the time I came back (Mind you it's pitch dark out and you can't see shit this time of night)
The sorry sons of bitches used the machine to grind down the fucking pavement, obviously to repave it I guess in a few days or whatever, but LEFT the shit there, half an inch or more loose asphalt all over the road, with uneven gouges in it, grooves...the works.

I hit this loose gravel at about 45 mph.  I tell you, Eva deserves some sort of award for the dance she started doing!!  That damned bike started dancing all over the place and the dashboard lit up like a christmas tree, traction control, pretty much taking out anything resembling putting power to it.  It slid, it slithered, I got it under control about 30 both legs out, asshole so tight you couldn't pull a banjo string thru with a bulldozer at this point!  I am fairly positive that the traction control saved my ass tonight, at least from a very bad case of road rash.  The moment my bike started sliding it took over, I am sure if it was left to me, Id probably have been on the ground before I got power cut enough to not power slide.

Would have been nice for the shit heads to at least put a sign up, road under construction or something.  There's a HUGE difference between running a street sweeper and leaving an inch of loose gravel.

Anybody who says Traction control is just useless crap, and more stuff to break and does nothing.
I respectfully beg to differ.
The GD city owes me a new pair of underwear now.

Aaron

Grauteufel

• View Profile
Re: Thank God for Traction Control
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2024, 04:00:56 AM »

Just wait until you have a bike with conering traction/stabilty control, magic for "oh shit" moments.

Wife (not exactly a technically experienced rider) hit the throttle on her bmw mid corner on an onramp, drifting across the lane. She's got the 360 cam running as a dashcam and replayed it all. She hit a wet/oily patch in the middle of the lane as she's at full throttle to merge. I see the back started to slid out/sideways, shes basically panicked and all but let go of the handlebars (maybe a fistful of rear brake?), all the dash lights come on and the bike smoothly straightens out and stands without violently overcorrecting. No dance, smooth transition from fuuuuuuuuuuu to ck. Of course I did the sensible thing and tried to replicate that moment the next rainy night.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2024, 04:21:42 AM »

Not sure on the rear brake fistfull,  most panic situations, one would tend to grab the 'normal' brake in the panic, not the ok now lets think this thru oh yah I probably should try the rear.  Either way she was kept safe and thats all that matters.

Had a similar going thru an intersection right after a drizzle, found a slick spot and spun the rear tire, felt it slide just the slightest and it basically took over and straightened everything out and slowed down the accel, which wasn't much to begin with but still.  What was going thru MY retarded mind,  oh yah, great job Aaron, lets dump in the middle of the intersection so EVERYONE can see you fuck up :)  Today I was going down the road and found where a dump truck F$$k left a nice pile of rocks in the middle of the road.  yah traction control / abs is a nice thing.

Aaron

Grauteufel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2024, 04:45:42 AM »

I may have mentioned she's not the most technically experienced, despite dozens of days of professional instruction. I get her to do these rider training days, on the last one her instructer was stunned to observe she almost never uses the front brake. They spent the last few hours trying over and over to get her to brake hard using the front into the corners, but she just never did it. Always would just engine brake/use the rear to slow down. I even got her to do a driver training day, she'd always just slow down and wouldn't get the abs to engage, the instructor finally got her to emergency brake by making like he was about to jump in front of the car.

Electric - left hand rear, right hand front brake.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2024, 05:18:04 AM »

Well that's the one oddity about electric bikes. If you like it and are savvy with regen, you really do NOT have to use the front brakes a lot once you get accustomed to them.  Most of it is the throttle /regen.  The rear brake / regen  kind of work hand in hand and if you have your regen set on high, the rear brake does not do a LOT more before ABS is kicking in. (on smoother roads)  Get into a pickle though and that front brake is a lifesaver!

That is one thing I am seriously considering is getting the rear brake handle controlled like you mentioned instead of foot activated.  I always find myself fiddling around to find it when I do need it, and believe if it was a lever it'd be a lot easier to use for me.  try not to keep my foot too close to it as I don't want to be resting on it when riding inadvertently.  The fact that Energica put a warning into the software to tell you that you are doing that, kind of tells me that I am not the only person who ever did that a time or two !  :-X

aaron

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2024, 12:15:47 PM »

The fact that Energica put a warning into the software to tell you that you are doing that, kind of tells me that I am not the only person who ever did that a time or two !  :-X

Yep, guilty as charged. Did that when I had the bike for two weeks or so  ::)
Pages: [1]