• May 04, 2024, 05:50:53 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dead charger, what are the options?  (Read 1641 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Dead charger, what are the options?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 07:13:36 PM »

When my charger died I used the QiiQ charger for a while as my replacement. It took a minute longer to set up charging but otherwise behaved exactly like the stock charger.

Really though, spending $800 on a replacement stock charger ended up being the right move. It's relatively affordable, easy enough to install, and functions just like I need it too. I can see the difference in the new stock charger in that there is a lot more visible effort in sealing it and it being waterproof, which I suspect had to do with at least some of the earlier charger failures.

The other options are too expensive and/or complicated to be worth it for me. YMMV.

Thanks, caza.  I think I will go that route and pick up a new Zero on-board charger.  I'll give it to my daughter for Mother's Day.  ;)

Even if the replacement charger only lasts another 5 years, that amounts to $200 a year, which is a lot less than I pay to maintain my BMW motorcycles every year.   

Otherwise she will probably end up needing to hand-crank a portable generator attached to a stationary bicycle to recharge her battery pack.   :o
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 07:16:35 PM by Richard230 »
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

bones302

• Doing my research before buying a used S/SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 09:12:24 PM »

would be great if folks offer up different charger options and we could make this a sticky. 
This is one area I am dreading as a future Zero owner, is how to upgrade or replace charging systems without being an Electrical Engineer.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 10:15:07 PM »

There's no mystery, only answers that aren't where you're looking. Zero has a parts system and replaces broken parts. It covers them under warranty reasonably well.

Here are some unofficial manual pages for this topic. The wiki there is easier to navigate than a bunch of pinned threads:
- https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Chargers
- https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Potential_Buyers_Guide
- https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Charger
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

bones302

• Doing my research before buying a used S/SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 11:21:05 PM »

thanks, did find that site, but didn't know if it was affiliated with this one.

There's no mystery, only answers that aren't where you're looking. Zero has a parts system and replaces broken parts. It covers them under warranty reasonably well.

Here are some unofficial manual pages for this topic. The wiki there is easier to navigate than a bunch of pinned threads:

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2019, 01:48:09 AM »

Thanks Brian. Those links were really helpful in understanding the various charger options, how they work and how to remove the stock charger. I assume that installing a new one would be just the opposite of the removal process.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2019, 03:41:00 AM »

Thanks Brian. Those links were really helpful in understanding the various charger options, how they work and how to remove the stock charger. I assume that installing a new one would be just the opposite of the removal process.

I believe that it is, but haven't undergone that process. Everything to my knowledge is electrically safe to connect while the bike is turned off, and the onboard charger's connections are all obvious. I don't think the MBB needs to do anything more than recognize that a charger of the right type is present over CAN/etc.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2019, 03:43:19 AM »

I'm the lead in maintaining that website, and I generally do it by compiling knowledge from threads like these (which kept recurring and getting hard to track), in addition to going and interviewing people who work for or with Zero.

The site isn't complete but it generally represents knowledge that's been reported or confirmed enough times that we could say for sure how something worked or how to do something.

caza

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2019, 05:07:36 AM »

I assume that installing a new one would be just the opposite of the removal process.

Yeah it's pretty much exactly the same. Hardest part is reaching the tiny allen screws holding the actual 110v plug onto the bike. I took my passenger peg off and still struggled a bit with it because the bolts were slightly rusted. Aside from that it was mostly an easy process.
2015 Zero SR + Power Tank

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2019, 06:18:26 AM »

My daughter just told me that her charger is working again.  :) She rode the bike to another town and ran the pack down to 66%.  After returning home, she plugged the charger in and it started charging. The display is currently showing 89% and climbing.  I don't get it as this weekend it wouldn't charge at all.  ???

tyzbit

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2019, 07:41:04 AM »

My daughter just told me that her charger is working again.  :) She rode the bike to another town and ran the pack down to 66%.  After returning home, she plugged the charger in and it started charging. The display is currently showing 89% and climbing.  I don't get it as this weekend it wouldn't charge at all.  ???

Partially disassemble everything and look for corroded connections, frayed wires, or standing water maybe?
2018 Zero SR + Charge Tank, TeslaTap

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2019, 07:31:01 PM »

Partially disassemble everything and look for corroded connections, frayed wires, or standing water maybe?

I don't think the bike has ever seen any water, standing or otherwise.  It is very dirty as my daughter is really into conserving the molecule. That makes me reluctant to touch anything inside the bike.  But a corroded connection, due to 5 years of dust accumulation, might be rearing its ugly head.  I heard this morning that the charger shut down at 89% and refuses to turn on to charge any higher than that.  So my money is on a funky charger that is getting ready for retirement.  ;)  Or it could be a goofy cell that is charging more quickly than other cells in the pack and causing the BMS to trigger a shut down of the charger due to a voltage spike.   ???

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2019, 03:43:20 AM »

The charger is by far the most likely subsystem to have issues in situations like this. The C14 inlet is cheap and easiest to clean and replace. The connections at the rear of the charger might also benefit from a check and cleaning.

Any hypothesis about the battery is readily checkable by the cell imbalance indication, followed by the logs.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2019, 04:57:28 AM »

The charger is by far the most likely subsystem to have issues in situations like this. The C14 inlet is cheap and easiest to clean and replace. The connections at the rear of the charger might also benefit from a check and cleaning.

Any hypothesis about the battery is readily checkable by the cell imbalance indication, followed by the logs.

I keep forgetting to check the cell balance when I visit her. I am the only one that uses the app to check the bike.  Apparently getting the cell phone to connect to the bike via Bluetooth is such a struggle that she doesn't want to do it.  I can make the connection, but I kind of have to fool the system being cooperative.  I am not sure if the app can download the logs from her bike.  I don't ever recall seeing the same screen option on her phone that I have on the app for my 2018 model, which has a log downloading button. Her app screen and options are different from mine.  I will have to check it out during my next visit.

I agree that cleaning is likely worthwhile.  The plastic front and bottom enclosures have never been removed since the bike left the factory.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2019, 12:34:14 AM »

@Richard230

I have a QuiQ for Zero 2013+ that is collecting dust at the local makerspace in Sparks NV (East Reno) and not being used since my bike was destroyed. Yours to have if you will come pick it up.

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2019, 01:01:01 AM »

@Richard230

I have a QuiQ for Zero 2013+ that is collecting dust at the local makerspace in Sparks NV (East Reno) and not being used since my bike was destroyed. Yours to have if you will come pick it up.

If he doesn't take it, I would be interested (would pay shipping, etc).
Pages: 1 [2] 3