• May 07, 2024, 12:16:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I've Given Up on Buying a Zero  (Read 1499 times)

redge

• View Profile
I've Given Up on Buying a Zero
« on: June 04, 2013, 09:24:27 AM »

I'm prepared to pay cash tomorrow, and indeed alteady put down a $1,000 deposit, but it has become too much of a hassle.

Zero needs to understand that there are people who are prepared to buy their bikes who travel and are not interested in whatever their marketers are doing internally to protect their feifdoms by carving up markets.

Two weeks ago, I offered to buy a Zero in New York, where I have significant business interests, but discovered that I couldn't buy the bike because Zero, unlike every significant manufacturer of conventional motorcycles, is not on the Canada/US import list. This was important because I want to put Canadan plates on the bike.

In light of this problem, Zero suggested that I speak with the Canadian east coast dealer. Last Thursday morning, even though it would be highly inconvenient given the location of that dealer, I did so. They had nothing in stock, and nothing on the way, but told me via email that the Zero rep for Canada would provide a quote and delivery date. As of this minute (Monday night), I have heard nothing.

One has to wonder what is going on when a small company is apparently incapable of figuring out how to get its product to someone who is prepared to buy it tomorrow for cash, and has in fact created a barrier to the sale. For more on Zero's apparent refusal to be on the import list, see: http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=2944.0

By the way, the US and Canadian dollars are at par and the price of the bikes in the two countries is the same, and the true cost difference (after import costs, tax differences and currency conversion) is not more than 3%, which as far as I am concerned is meaningless.

So now I'm back to looking at a Moto Guzzi V7 or Triumph T-100 because both those companies are on the import list and I won't have this problem.

Too bad, because I'd like to buy a Zero bike, but Zero's internal policies, and apparent inability to give me a price and delivery date on the east coast of Canada after three business days, despite being highly inconvenient for me as a delivery destination, are making it more trouble than it is worth.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 09:45:05 AM by redge »

dkw12002

• View Profile
Re: I've Given Up on Buying a Zero
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 09:42:36 AM »

I had no idea about that problem. If you want a good small commuter bike, look into the Ninja 300 too. Not fast off the line, but that long 6th gear will keep you in the passing lane as fast as you want to go and still get 55 mpg (US). I bought mine for $5300 out the door. Dealers, parts readily available too. It has a similar riding positon to the Zero S.

redge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 09:50:12 AM »

I had no idea about that problem. If you want a good small commuter bike, look into the Ninja 300 too. Not fast off the line, but that long 6th gear will keep you in the passing lane as fast as you want to go and still get 55 mpg (US). I bought mine for $5300 out the door. Dealers, parts readily available too. It has a similar riding positon to the Zero S.

I could buy a Ninja tomorrow, or a MG V7 or a Triumph, without any of this hassle.

So here I am trying to give premium money to Zero, in cash, and I can't do it.

One of the things that's really stupid about this is that the plan was to take the bike in the fall to Europe and blog extensively about getting around Europe on a Zero  bike.

But that's kind of hard if you can't buy the bike in the first place.

Meanwhile, the NY dealer is a class operation and has agreed to return my deposit without question.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 10:04:39 AM by redge »

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 10:04:06 AM »

Seems weird. When I was in the US military in Neu Ulm, Germany many years ago, I bought an Audi from the local German dealer, but we drove over to the Canadian PX in Lahr to pay for it.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 08:43:49 PM »

I had a 2004 Ninja 250 for a while and it was a lot of fun to ride.  It would go anywhere a larger bike would go, as long as you were not hauling around a passenger.  When my garage became too crowded, I gave it to my daughter and she is still riding it.  Neither of us has had a single mechanical problem, but it is a real bear to maintain.  Very time consuming and fiddley.

My T-100 is a great bike, sort of like an English Sportster.  About as sophisticated as a rock and just as reliable, although I do hate its very heavy spoked wheels and tubed tires.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 06:11:22 PM »

You should be thankful you can buy and register zero motorcycles in USA and Canada, many parts of the world cannot buy them at all.
I am in Australia and have been wanting to buy one for the last 2 years. Same answer from Zero, looking at establishing dealers some time in the future.
I will not be buying another ICE bike, will hold onto my SV650S until I can buy a Zero or another brand of Electric bike.

Try writing to Zero CEO and head of global sales. written letters will probably get more attention than an email.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 04:09:01 AM »

Buying a Triumph or Moto Guzzi because its tricky to buy a Zero is silly.  That is like saying, I really fancied a burger for lunch but they were all out of burgers so I went and bought a screwdriver instead.

I don't know how the import export stuff works but what about buying your Zero in Europe for your trip? Would that work?   Also +1 on a written letter, its much more official.

Zero.DS.Sweden

• View Profile
I've Given Up on Buying a Zero
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 11:16:11 AM »

Last year I imported my Zero DS from Florida to Sweden. Bought from an authorized dealer and shipped it with UPS Air Cargo. No problems. It took 15 minutes to get import registration approved. Export documents that UPS required to put it on a plan toke awhile.
Pages: [1]