• May 10, 2024, 03:40:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Am I ruining my kickstand killswitch sensor?  (Read 1446 times)

idle

• View Profile
Am I ruining my kickstand killswitch sensor?
« on: August 12, 2019, 01:16:02 PM »

2 months ago,
Come out from work, bike ('16 DSR) is laid down - cover is nowhere to be found.

Witness said a dust devil got to it and the cover went flying into the air, trees were also fallen over.

Bike's kickstand got a bit bent inward - took it off and bent it back a bit, but am I about to do some perma damage to this sensor?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Am I ruining my kickstand killswitch sensor?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 07:49:53 PM »

There’s a known issue where if the kickstand sensor shorts out, it can burn out the MBB. Yours looks okay, as long as the enclosure isn’t deformed; you wouldn’t want dust or moisture getting in there.

So, I guess the safest thing would be to swap that out and the kickstand. But it might be fine to just try gently opening up the enclosure and see whether it’s deformed or dirty inside.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Bill822

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 09:19:59 AM »

It looks like the switch body is being damaged by rubbing on the kickstand. You don't want that. It it fails the bike won't move under its own power. There is no roadside fix.

KTM uses the same switch (AsahiDenso magnetic proximity sensor CE122) and there is a kickstand delete device sold to replace it. I don't know if anyone has tried this device on a Zero.

Ramsay Snow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 08:48:45 PM »

Yup, got the KTM sensor delete on my 2015 SR about a month ago. No issues so far.

talon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 09:29:28 AM »

I wrote most of the hardware kickstand bypass section on the unofficial zeromanual. Because you are messing with a sensor that connects to the MBB AND I do not know if it changes for any model year but mine, I am cautious giving any blanket approval to any unofficial modifications (hell, it could change even within the batch of my model year). The MBB is vulnerable and expensive to replace/reprogram. That being said, in an emergency (and understanding the risks) I have modified mine with a resistor as that is the same way most KTM bypass kits work. If you connect the resistor to the wrong leads, or of the wrong value it can fry the regulator in the MBB. Software modification is a better bet if you can remember to pull your kickstand up every time and need a permanent solution.

That enclosure was fully potted for my 2016 SR, so I don't think it should be an issue unless it wears through the enclosure and the potting. How bent was the kickstand and where? My sensor lost connection at the base of the connected wires where they flex the most.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 09:32:01 AM by talon »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 04:40:36 AM »

I’ll ensure the unofficial manual cites confirmation of the KTM sidestand switch bypass.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 07:44:48 AM »

Does the app sync work without the kickstand switch?  I think that was one of the requirements for the first link up.
I always wondered why this "safety" switch was even there.  If I rode off with the kickstand down the forward motion would flip it back up upon ground contact anyway, as I figure it.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 09:14:08 AM »

Does the app sync work without the kickstand switch?  I think that was one of the requirements for the first link up.
I always wondered why this "safety" switch was even there.  If I rode off with the kickstand down the forward motion would flip it back up upon ground contact anyway, as I figure it.

Accidents happen! I always turn my key on before I hop on the bike. Sometimes just to use the headlight to lock my door at night time. Without that sensor, my bike can shoot out from underneath me while getting on the bike. That's just one example

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 10:03:46 AM »

MMmmm throttle kill switch takes care of that.  What else ya got?  :)
For what it's worth I always pop up the kickstand before I key it on.  I didn't want the bike log to show the error codes but that's just me.

idle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 01:18:01 PM »

Yeah throttle kill switch should be used as much as possible to develop good safety habits imo.

In terms of the kickstand, I saw how simple it was to re-route and just rig a permanent solution to it if it ever gets too bad, but actually it looks like the kickstand isn't digging into the sensor anymore, probably just bored out that lil bit and that's it. I'll keep an eye on it with time.

Also thx for adding anything to the unofficial manual, u guys are legendary

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 08:30:06 PM »

I've never used the throttle kill switch in my life and ive been riding for 40 years. Personal preference I guess.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 12:19:47 AM »

I've never used...
Pretty sure my motorcycle safety instructor would have words for you. x-x
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

MrBlc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 12:25:14 AM »

My motorcycle safety instructor said to never use the throttle kill switch unless you absolutely have to as it can damage the engine, so.. i too have never felt the need to use that switch.
I know we're supposed to think differently with zero/electrics but still.. this is ingrained in behavior..

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
engine kill switch [Re: Am I ruining my kickstand killswitch sensor?]
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 12:51:19 AM »

I've never used the throttle kill switch in my life and ive been riding for 40 years. Personal preference I guess.

Haha, I actually pushed old old Honda a mile to a shop, only to find out the only thing wrong with it was that the switch I'd forgotten existed was in the wrong position.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 12:52:06 AM »

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/
Pages: [1] 2