• May 16, 2024, 08:37:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Decision Time.. DS or SR???  (Read 2222 times)

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Re: Decision Time.. DS or SR???
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 02:28:13 AM »

You are clearly no stranger to big bike performance Ken. It's always nice to ride a bike with some grunt, even when you're not using it all the time. Bags of torque and strong acceleration never gets old. If I was fortunate enough to be in your shoes I would choose the SR in a heartbeat. You might find a DS lacking a bit in comparison to your ICE bikes once you'd got used to it. No doubt the DS is lots of fun but you can afford to have even more fun on an SR! [emoji4]

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 08:23:36 PM »

I own a DS mainly for the higher eyes position in trafic jam and also as I'm working in a crowded european city I need to be able to climb high sidewalk when all the cars are really stuck. I also have bad road condition around where I'm living and so I was looking for more suspension travel.
Indeed I think that the DS is requesting more eletricty due to worse frontal surface than a S or SR. So range is inferior

Laurent

KenMac

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 09:24:38 PM »

That's what I'm thinking as well, Laurent.  The slightly increased visibility on the DS is attractive but I feel like I am now set on the SR.   After spending a couple of hours on an S now, I'm completely comfortable with the feel of it.

Still a little hesitant but don't think it'll be enough to discourage me.... regarding the small company thing.  I had an aprilia at one point and finding someone to do service work was an issue at times.  Feel like there could potentially be an issue along those lines with zero.  At the moment there is a dealer less than 10 minutes from the house but you just never know if they'll continue to carry them.  Not that it seems like there would be much needed unless there was a really strange unusual issue that popped up.
'06 BMW R1200GS, '03 Honda VTR1000 Superhawk, '03 Suzuki DL1000 (traded for SR), 2015 Zero SR

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 11:15:02 PM »

At least you live in the US if I don't mistaken.
I had several issues that I deal by myself as my french dealer stopped making Zero !!!

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 03:57:50 AM »

That's what I'm thinking as well, Laurent.  The slightly increased visibility on the DS is attractive but I feel like I am now set on the SR.   After spending a couple of hours on an S now, I'm completely comfortable with the feel of it.

Still a little hesitant but don't think it'll be enough to discourage me.... regarding the small company thing.  I had an aprilia at one point and finding someone to do service work was an issue at times.  Feel like there could potentially be an issue along those lines with zero.  At the moment there is a dealer less than 10 minutes from the house but you just never know if they'll continue to carry them.  Not that it seems like there would be much needed unless there was a really strange unusual issue that popped up.

You are very fortunate to have a Zero dealer that close to you.  :)  While some dealers have dumped Zero, I don't think very many have and as long as they don't have a lot of bikes that need warranty service (and it appears like the Zeros are pretty well sorted by now), I don't know why they wouldn't continue selling the bikes.  They don't take up much space and most dealers seem to pre-sell them, rather than having to floor the bikes like they do with most IC brands.  That really cuts the cost of carrying Zeros for the shop.  If they can pay Zero with your money, there is little risk of having a bike sit in the showroom for very long, if at all. So I don't know why a dealer would not continue to carry the brand.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 09:42:18 AM »

Have you eliminated the 2015 S as an option? Just curious - I test rode both an S and an SR. I'm riding a 2012 S now - which has adequate power for my needs, but the new S has double the horsepower - already an incredible improvement. But, the SR! When I rode that I had to really hang on the handle bars while accelerating to 90 MPH in just a few seconds (don't tell the dealership). While the extra power is enticing - I can't imagine when I would ever need it. Also the extra $2,000 for the SR could be used for accessories instead...
I'm struggling with a decision too; the S or the SR?
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

KenMac

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 10:19:52 AM »

Have you eliminated the 2015 S as an option? Just curious - I test rode both an S and an SR. I'm riding a 2012 S now - which has adequate power for my needs, but the new S has double the horsepower - already an incredible improvement. But, the SR! When I rode that I had to really hang on the handle bars while accelerating to 90 MPH in just a few seconds (don't tell the dealership). While the extra power is enticing - I can't imagine when I would ever need it. Also the extra $2,000 for the SR could be used for accessories instead...
I'm struggling with a decision too; the S or the SR?

Haven't completely eliminated the S, no.  The 2014 S that I test rode was quite fun.  Unfortunately no option of test riding a SR for comparison.   I honestly just figure that if I'm going to make the switch to electric, then enjoy it and get the power to spare. 
'06 BMW R1200GS, '03 Honda VTR1000 Superhawk, '03 Suzuki DL1000 (traded for SR), 2015 Zero SR

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2015, 11:07:41 AM »

Basically, the SR is amazing and the DS and S are very good.  If you can swing it, you want amazing.  There are never regrets that way.  (Just echoing what many others have said in different ways.)
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2015, 09:17:59 PM »

I am very happy with my S (other than the crappy Fast Ace suspension).  It goes plenty fast enough for me.  I don't ride for thrills, but to get somewhere, while enjoying the smooth and effortless ride.  I really don't need to go faster than 80 mph and just a crack of the throttle away from a stoplight gets me ahead of most other vehicles.   :)  I also might add that after 4500 miles, the brakes have finally scuffed in and are working about as well as any other single-disc-braked motorcycle on the market.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

KenMac

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2015, 11:11:11 PM »

Totally recognize that the S would meet my needs and would still be a fun bike.  I completely enjoyed the demo bike I took out.  Just figure the SR is only a little more and provides more acceleration yet still has the same battery life in terms of distance (provided I do have some control over how much I twist I would assume).

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2015, 11:25:28 PM »

I would choose the sr over the s

It costs more than the difference (2500$) to convert your s into a sr
Sr is worth much more on the used market so if you can afford it I would

Yes the s is fun but like most you can get used to the snappy-ness of the electric I sure did
I though my fx was fast when I got it
The. I Put a size 6 and sds motor on it and holy crap I though it was a bat out of hell
Now I still want it faster so if your anything like me you will always need a little more

we have something in the works thanks to rattlesnake electric carts!!!!! For the tunings
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

NanoMech

• Head Wrangler
  • Portola Valley, California
    • View Profile
    • Angler Wranglers Demolition Co., est 1895
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2015, 05:14:59 AM »

My wife and I've enjoyed 2 of the 2014 Zero DS bikes and I recommend, as another pointed out, that you consider Hollywood electric shipping a DS with the SR motor and controller.

Benefits include varied terrain tires (I have Metzler Tourance DS tires), stronger/more-rugged spoked wheels, and longer-travel front shocks, I believe. The SR has different size drive and driven belt-pulleys from the DS. I also added the windscreen, more a torso air-deflection shield, and the higher torque drive pulley option. I love torque and prefer to drive in the 20-60 mph range through the Santa Cruz mountains and, often, steep roads. I've added 2" Rox risers to gain even more upright posture.

You'll certainly enjoy any Zero you buy, and I would certainly recommend purchasing the bike from Hollywood electric.
Kerry
2014 Zero DS "Wrangler", PowerTank, 25T drive sprocket: www.AnglerWranglers.com

RNM

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2015, 09:00:15 PM »

Looking at the pics here, there's no difference in riding position between DS and S, DS is just a taller bike.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 09:14:21 PM by RNM »
Pages: 1 [2]