Makes And Models > Energica

A&S Roseville, CA

(1/5) > >>

DonTom:
I just heard that A&S, an Energica dealer close to me, has given up, or soon will give up, on trying to unload Energica motorcycles. Because of very poor sales.

I will take a ride down there on my Energica Experia tomorrow.  It needs the FW update. I wonder if they will still be able to do such or if I will have to go all the way to Livermore.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

Richard230:
I am starting to get the impression that the initial rush of consumers to buy EVs is rapidly petering out.  EV enthusiasts have already bought theirs and paid for the privilege while the rest of the car buying public are still happy with their IC vehicles - and that goes double and triple for motorcycle enthusiasts that are not being pressured by the government to save the environment by buying a two-wheel EV.  And, of course, high loan interest rates have put a stake through the heart of EV sales at all levels. Last year I sold my BMW R1200RS and the first fellow who came to see it said that he couldn't afford to buy it at the price that I wanted because the interest rate that his bank wanted to charge him for a personal loan was just too burdensome.

Plus, it doesn't help that Zero and especially Energica are charging premium money for their motorcycles. Zero has been dropping their MSRP lately, but $20K is still a tough row to hoe when you can buy an ICE motorcycle with more bells and whistles and a better dealer network for considerably less money. If you are a big, volume, dealer like A&S, with a huge overhead operation, selling a few Energicas once in a while likely just doesn't pencil out for them. No doubt they are making a lot more money selling BMWs, Triumphs, Ducatis and at the lower end, Royal Enfields. I might also add that A&S had their Energicas stuck in a corner with a few used bikes, while all of their other brands have their own dedicated showrooms, unlike CalMoto, which has a dedicated section of their shop devoted to only the Engergica brand and their salespeople have always seemed to enthusiastically supported them.

Finally, having both the state and federal governments ending rebates for electric motorcycles, also makes them a tough sell nowadays.  :(

Motoproponent:
yeah, talk to any dealer and they will say they keep the lights on by selling used bikes and service.

The myth that EV batteries only last 5 years makes it tough to sell a used EV Moto, so there goes that revenue stream. And EV bikes require so much less maintenance that there is very little incentive to keep that revenue stream open.

I could see a direct sales model like Tesla or Vinfast coming to EV Motos sooner than later. Keeping a dealer network adds the overhead of a whole other business to cover in the profit margins. So Electric motos are a premium priced luxury for most people.

I predict the first sign will be over-the-air update capabilities. If 2025 Energicas have that, then I suspect dealers will quickly line up to drop them.

flynnstig82r:
It's a shame to hear that, but Roseville was probably never the right place to sell EM's. Just count the number of Harleys, pickup trucks, and big SUV's on the road in that town. Somewhere near Midtown Sacramento might have been more successful.

We shouldn't get too doom and gloomy, though. Energica has pre-sold every Experia they've produced to date AFAIK. They can't keep up with demand, even priced above $20k. The recent news reports of EV cars sitting on lots ignored the fact that sales were still up year-over-year, just not as much as forecasted so manufacturers over-produced them and it took longer to clear the inventory. EM's and EV's in general are still a fast-growing segment, even if the charging network is rotting and there haven't been any exciting new advances for several years.

In the premium EM market, I think growth isn't faster because of range concerns. To most of us, the Experia's 130 mile highway range is a big leap forward, but the average EV-curious motorcyclist wants to hear something more like 180 before they start to become interested. Enough to visit someone in a nearby city and come back without having to worry about a charging stop. And once you get those people, that's still only a small segment of the market, because now you have to get the price-conscious buyers, which is another ~5 years away after that. So EM's aren't going to replace ICE motos anytime soon, but I still expect strong growth in sales and capabilities over the decade.

Pard:
The problem in my neck of the woods is lack of charging infrastructure.  Many I ride with would buy an Energica for the performance thrill, but there is just too few places to charge.

These are folks with several bikes in the stable, and with means to buy more, but they will pick up an RSV4 Factory because they can actually ride it all day long.

If there was a fastcharger at every gas station, sales would skyrocket.

My Rebelle is a stand alone mission specific machine for a daily 70 mile spirited recreational loop.  I love it.  But the limit of use is the lack of charging availability.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version