• May 06, 2024, 12:12:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Charge Tank for my SRF Premium  (Read 905 times)

vinceherman

• View Profile
Charge Tank for my SRF Premium
« on: February 25, 2020, 12:22:23 AM »

I am considering ordering a Charge Tank for my 2020 SRF Premium and I want your help thinking through the details.
I recognize that the CT will not improve my charging at home or work, both on wall sockets.  But I DO want to do some charging on the road and charge times will matter.
I have a 40A Jesla with a 14-50 plug and also a 40A TeslaTap.
Using these, I max out my existing chargers at 5.8kW
Documentation for the TeslaTap 40A suggests it can support protocols up to 9.6kW.
The TeslaTap 50A protocols up to 12kW.
The TeslaTap 80A protocols up to 19.2kW.
I will number my questions for easier identification during discussion, but feel free to jump in with comments on any parts of my data.
1.   If I get the CT, using my existing 40A Jesla, I should expect to get around 9.6kW right?
2.   And if I move from a 40A TeslaTap to a 50A model, 12kW right?
3.   I assume that the 12kW would really be more like 2x the 5.8kW that I get now without the CT, or 11.6kW right?
4.   I should expect no advantage using the TeslaTap 80A over the 50A model right?
And now some loose math work on the charging time.
My current max rate is 5.8kW.
5.   If I can charge at 9.6kW (CT and 40A device), I should expect the charging time to be about 60% as long as it is now right?
6.   If I can charge at 11.6kW (CT and 50A device), I should expect the charging time to be about 50% as long as it is now right?

For clarification, I am not talking about charging from 0%SoC to 100%SoC.  For charging on the road, I would likely only go to 95% unless I *really* needed the range to reach the next charge station.  And I hope I do not pull in at 0%.

motorrad36

• View Profile
Re: Charge Tank for my SRF Premium
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 12:49:11 AM »

1.   If I get the CT, using my existing 40A Jesla, I should expect to get around 9.6kW right? The CT is 6kW, so 6kW plus your premium 6kW? I don't think the bike is smart enough or capable of splitting one of those to 9kW, so you're either at 6kW or 12kW, no in between (I think).

2.   And if I move from a 40A TeslaTap to a 50A model, 12kW right? only if the charger/plug you're plugging into is capable of the higher output.

3.   I assume that the 12kW would really be more like 2x the 5.8kW that I get now without the CT, or 11.6kW right? I think your 5.8kW situation means whatever plug you're charging from normally is not 240V commercial, maybe your outlet is 220V? you should be the full 12kW with the correct inputs from the plug/station.

4.   I should expect no advantage using the TeslaTap 80A over the 50A model right? No charging advantage, but I would recommend the higher amp option just so you're not running right at the max capability of the cable.

And now some loose math work on the charging time.
My current max rate is 5.8kW.
5.   If I can charge at 9.6kW (CT and 40A device), I should expect the charging time to be about 60% as long as it is now right? See #1, I do not think there is a 9.6kW option because you have the premium standard 6kW.

6.   If I can charge at 11.6kW (CT and 50A device), I should expect the charging time to be about 50% as long as it is now right? Yes, right about half.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 05:39:35 AM by motorrad36 »

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 01:25:53 AM »

In looking at the accessories PDF, I see the attached image and info for the SR/F Rapid Charger.
Is that piece hanging off of the charger a J1772 port?
Does that indicate that the use of the Rapid Charger will be a Dub-J configuration?  One port feeding the existing stock chargers and another port feeding the Rapid Charger?
In my limited experience, finding 2 adjacent and unoccupied chargers is infrequent.
I had hoped that when I have access to a Tesla destination charger, I could use it to feed the original chargers as well as the Rapid Charger.

Does anyone know how this is configured?

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 02:04:35 AM »

That's just a rendering of the part for identification, not actual details.

It just means there are probably three cables that need to be attached to the bike.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

NervEasy

• View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 03:26:32 AM »

That rendering looks very similar to the 6KW charger that is inside the ChargeTank on the S and DS models. 3 thick cables (2 battery and 1 J-plug) but also a small connector with some additional small wires, this connector is not visible on the rendering.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 03:30:28 AM by NervEasy »
2019 Zero S 11kw - 2020 SR/S

remmie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 03:53:27 PM »

The connector you see on the PDF is NOT a J1772, it is a RADSok connector to hook the Rapid Charger on to the wiring harness. In the Bike a corresponding connector is already present. the other. The radsok connector is for the 230Vac side.

The DC connectors are the other wires you see on the PDF. They get connected up to the battery (actually the spider bus)

The SR/F even with the rapid charger does not have dual J charging from the factory.

On facebook Scott Harkless has developed a DIY system for dual J charging for the SR/F. these posts are in the zero motorcycles owners group ZMOG :)
Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 08:02:17 PM »

Good to know that it will be a single J connector.
I still hope to find answers to what my charge rate would be if I added the Rapid Charger and used a 40A adapter.

3.   I assume that the 12kW would really be more like 2x the 5.8kW that I get now without the CT, or 11.6kW right? I think your 5.8kW situation means whatever plug you're charging from normally is not 240V commercial, maybe your outlet is 220V? you should be the full 12kW with the correct inputs from the plug/station.
Just to help clarify where the 5.8kW comes from - This is the maximum charge rate I have been able to attain with my premium 6kW chargers.  5.7 or 5.8 are the numbers I get when I connect to my home 30A dryer outlet.  Also the numbers I get when connected to a campground 50A 14-50.  Also  the numbers I get when using the TeslaTap.
I think it is safe to say that the 5.7 and 5.8kW rates represent the max 6kW hardware maximum with some loss of efficiency in the system somewhere.

If I get the Rapid Charger and if I upgrade my TeslaTap to a 50A or 80A model, I expect to get about 11.6kW(+or-) charge rate.
If I get the Rapid Charger and I use my 40A Jesla on a 240v line, what will be my charge rate?
I am hoping for 9.6kW.

Pages: [1]