• May 19, 2024, 05:05:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31

Author Topic: Zero 2017  (Read 43884 times)

Hansi

• View Profile
Zero 2017
« on: April 10, 2016, 03:43:33 PM »

No thread about this yet? What do you hope/think will be changed in the upcoming 2017 models?

I hope for the possibility of faster charging, something like the DigiNow charger as an option instead of/as an upgrade to the current Charge Tank. This is my main hope and the reason I haven't bought a Zero yet. I also hope they will continue to provide a small increase in battery capacity like earlier model years has gotten.
Norway
Opel Ampera-e ordered 16.09.16, delivered 08.06.17    Tesla Model 3 reserved 01.04.16
2013 Nissan Leaf Tekna     2011 Mitsubishi i-MiEV

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
Re: Zero 2017
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 04:44:16 PM »

My hopes for 2017:
a. new sports performance model featuring:
- liquid-cooled battery
- more powerful, liquid-cooled motor
- fairing, raised/rearward rearsets and sports seat
b. wider 4.25" rear wheel for SR/S/DSR/DS/FXS
c. lighter and/or more powerful onboard charger
d. left hand rear brake option
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

Lecram

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 06:43:31 PM »

Traction control. I have almost been high sided twice.

3 phase charging at 11 or 22 kW
CCS fast charging @ 25-50 kW
Graphene battery
Progressive egen throttle, I mean: when pushing the throttle back, it will progessively regen
1970 Honda CB750K0
1971 Honda CB750K1
1971 Honda CB750K1
1973 Honda CB750K2
1974 Honda CB750K2
2011 Mercedes Viano Marco Polo camper
2015 Zero DS with power tank
2016 KTM 1190 Adventure
2019 BMW i3

ALLVLTS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 10:04:47 PM »

Definitely fairings for me. Not race replica fairings (unless on a model like that described above), but more upright middleweight sport-touring type fairings like a Ninja 650R or the like (with different styling of course). I think that those on an SR would make for a nice highway commuter compared to a naked, as weather protection and range would both be improved.
I don't think a full Vetter style fairing would be very marketable except to the hardcore E-enthusiasts. Electric motorcycles are already a niche within a niche, and that would be a niche within a niche within a niche. I do think a modest conventional fairing would be more palatable to more people. A good middle ground. I would certainly pay more for this. Of course, the naked could still be offered for those who don't want fairings.
Zero... please do this. I see a lot of customers and potential customers asking for it.

Coolio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 12:26:13 AM »

---new headlight style for fx/fxs...possibly update the headlights on the other models as well.
---+1 for a more powerful onboard charger, maybe something similar to the quick charger integrated on the bike as standard.
---keep upping the torque/hp specs(faster is always better). Some of those other E-bikes got some crazy specs.
---lower price
---Graphene battery (I wish...)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 12:29:11 AM by Coolio »

morimaxx

• View Profile
    • My personal blog (german only)
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 12:52:27 AM »

I'd like to see:
- optional onboard 3phase charger 11kW with Type2 inlet
- variable regen via clutch lever
- reverse switch

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 01:52:33 AM »

A fairing that improves range at speed and provides weather protection. It's a great opportunity to design something distinctive but cool.  Something that makes Zeros stand out. Something for people to admire and talk about.

If that isn't feasible, then Zero could work with a third party to get it done.

Next on my list is to build the Diginow charger into the bike as standard. Get rid of the current on-board charger that is underpowered and unreliable. Failing that, a 3kW on-board charger that can be dialed down for the U.S. market and their 110V wall sockets.

I'd really like to see Zero forge a strong alliance with Diginow and use the super charger in a new charge tank as an option.

Next on my list is traction control as standard.  People coming off ice bikes have no real concept of what instant torque of such magnitude can do. I broke my wrist finding out and it's only a matter of time before someone has a more serious accident.  Even on my DS I've lost my rear wheel a couple of times in the wet without trying very hard.

I'd like to see the significant price drop in Li-ion cells over the last year or so to be reflected in the cost of the 2017 bikes.  Fairings and fast chargers can be sold as options really. It's really important to get the price down to appeal to commuters. Perhaps the Zero S could be rebadged as the commuter. Give it a decent screen as standard.

Reliability is another really important aspect. I'm sure it has improved but it has to exceed the expectations of those riding Hondas.

ALLVLTS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 02:36:30 AM »

Reliability is another really important aspect. I'm sure it has improved but it has to exceed the expectations of those riding Hondas.

Oh yes, definitely this. I'm still hesitant on buying a Zero because of the many posted reliability issues combined with sometimes LONG waits for repair.

Maybe they haved fixed the reliability issues already because I haven't seen anyone post problems with 2016's, but it doesn't seem that there are very many 2016's around yet, period. Either way, they need to make sure issues are rare and when they do occur... jump ALL OVER them to get customers back on the road ASAP. Follow Tesla's lead in this regard... they know how important that is especially in this early-adopter phase, and they are almost always right on top of issues. A premium price deserves premium service, and it would be nice to know they have your back since you ventured out a little into uncharted territory to support them on something new.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 02:49:44 AM by ALLVLTS »

ALLVLTS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 03:20:37 AM »

I'd like to see:

I think this would be a bad idea to offer from the factory simply because it is almost universal among motorcycles to use that lever to decouple the drivetrain from the wheel, not to provide back-torque to it. One thing every reviewer and every demo rider has seemed to do is go for the clutch lever repeatedly. That could get dangerous real quick in the wrong situation. Also, many riders have multiple bikes and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that many still try to grab a handful of clutch after switching back to the Zero. I just think it is not worth the potential safety issues and the lever is better left gone. I could be wrong, but that's my feeling.

However, I'm not against individuals adding one themselves as some have. They bear full responsibility for that and it could be a useful feature at times.

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 03:26:59 AM »

I'd like to see:

I think this would be a bad idea to offer from the factory simply because it is almost universal among motorcycles to use that lever to decouple the drivetrain from the wheel, not to provide back-torque to it. One thing every reviewer and every demo rider has seemed to do is go for the clutch lever repeatedly. That could get dangerous real quick in the wrong situation. Also, many riders have multiple bikes and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that many still try to grab a handful of clutch after switching back to the Zero. I just think it is not worth the potential safety issues and the lever is better left gone. I could be wrong, but that's my feeling.

However, I'm not against individuals adding one themselves as some have. They bear full responsibility for that and it could be a useful feature at times.
It's not hard to make it so that you get 'full' regen with the lever in neutral position and get a decreasing amount of regen as the lever is engaged up to 'zero' regen with the lever fully engaged.  It would effectively be just like a clutch at that point.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 03:51:21 AM »

I prefer the idea of being able twist the throttle forward to get an increasing rate of regen. It could double up as reverse if the bike is at a standstill.

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 06:29:22 AM »

I'd like to see:

Don,t agree! Scooters have a rear brake left hand brake lever. Takes no time to get used to. Also the Lighting LS218 has it too. It's one way of several to get variable regen. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 06:49:07 AM by grmarks »

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 06:32:29 AM »

It's not hard to make it so that you get 'full' regen with the lever in neutral position and get a decreasing amount of regen as the lever is engaged up to 'zero' regen with the lever fully engaged.  It would effectively be just like a clutch at that point.

Although it's not hard to do, I think its a really bad idea because it's counter intuitive to everything we do now. Either have it like a normal brake or not at all.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 06:35:08 AM »

I would like to see a larger and longer chassis and a larger and softer seat. It would also be nice if the on-board charger could be upped to around 15 amps for faster at-home 120V charging, as I think most homes have 20 amp circuit breakers.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 06:46:16 AM »

I prefer the idea of being able twist the throttle forward to get an increasing rate of regen. It could double up as reverse if the bike is at a standstill.

Now this IS a good idea! I had a test ride on a vetrix (however its spelt) scooter that has this feature and I really liked it, and its also intuitive. I also like the reverse idea.
If moving forwards when applied it should bring you to a stop.
If stationary when applied it should reverse you.

For my attainable wish list...
1) above regen/reverse
2) optional fairing (for commuting not racing.
3) consolidate reliability.

Zero will put the biggest available battery without needing to ask. Its a stated goal.
Zero have just developed a new motor, so there won't be a bigger one or water cooled anything as this is against there motto, so why ask?
If you want something like an LS218 then buy it not a zero, but don't expect it to be cheap!

Zero are aiming at an affordable electric bike - so its got to be simple.   
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31