• May 08, 2024, 05:16:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lost both Zero dealers in Atlanta  (Read 1504 times)

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Lost both Zero dealers in Atlanta
« on: October 21, 2023, 06:33:16 AM »

Killing time and looking at end of season deals I pulled up WOW and Blue Moon and saw both are no longer Zero dealers.

I guess that starts the clock for the end of my electric motorcycle ownership.  So much fun to ride but issues with service and the sales prices never coming down was just too much for it to work out. 

I could have done without this news.

Specter

• View Profile
Re: Lost both Zero dealers in Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2023, 06:34:39 AM »

Wasn't Zero the brand that is moving their stuff to India is it?
Yah I can see pretty much a zero influence in the US in a few years as they try to basically get out of the market here.  There were just too many issues with their bikes to succeed here.

Aaron

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2023, 08:20:26 AM »

Wasn't Zero the brand that is moving their stuff to India is it?
Yah I can see pretty much a zero influence in the US in a few years as they try to basically get out of the market here.  There were just too many issues with their bikes to succeed here.

Aaron

It isn't that clear.   Here is a recent story;

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto/electric-vehicles/hero-motocorp-to-bring-zero-electric-motorcycles-to-india-will-be-locally-built-41690453251659.html

Hero MotoCorp to bring Zero electric motorcycles to India. Will be locally built

Home Auto Electric Vehicles Hero Motocorp To Bring Zero Electric Motorcycles To India. Will Be Locally Built

Hero MotoCorp has confirmed that the company will be bringing Zero Motorcycles to the Indian market in the future. The manufacturer announced the development in its annual report FY2022-23. Hero has made a substantial investment of $60 million (approx. ?490 crore) in Zero Motorcycles in 2022 and has announced it will co-develop new premium electric motorcycles with the California-based company. The Zero electric motorcycles to be sold in India will be manufactured locally.
The upcoming Zero electric motorcycles for India will be locally built by Hero MotoCorp

The partnership will see the expertise of “Zero in developing electric powertrains and e-motorcycles with the scale of manufacturing, sourcing and marketing of Hero MotoCorp," the company said. Hero has not announced which Zero electric motorcycles will be launched in India but the models will be locally built for domestic and export markets. This should make the models more accessible, while possibly complying with the latest government regulations and subsidies, if any at the time.

A statement in Hero FY2022-23 annual report reads, “We will be bringing the Zero portfolio into India, increasing access for the Indian consumer to the best of international clean mobility options. California-headquartered Zero will be manufacturing its products in India too. With Zero as our partner, we look forward to accelerating the transition to electric mobility in India and across our global markets."

At present, the Zero Motorcycles’ lineup comprises dual-sport, naked, an adventure tourer and a full-faired electric motorcycle. The bikes pack from 7.2 kWh to 17.3 kWh battery packs and are priced between $13,000 and $25,000 (approx. between ?10 lakh and ?20 lakh). Local development of some of these offerings would certainly make the models more accessible, or Hero and Zero could team up to develop electric motorcycles specifically for emerging markets, on the same lines as Harley-Davidson and Hero’s partnership.

It’s safe to say that all of this is conjecture at the moment with no confirmation from either two-wheeler maker. That said, we do expect more developments to be announced in the coming months. Hero has already ventured into the electric scooter market with the Vida brand and Zero Motorcycles would be the next step in the premium electric mobility space. However, the launch of these electric bikes will be some time away. While Hero’s annual report does not mention when the Zero e-bikes will arrive, we do not expect to see them before FY2025.

For now, Hero will be concentrating its efforts to build the Vida brand and expand the sales of V1 and V1 Pro electric scooters across the country. With the change in FAME subsidies and the resulting price rise, the electric two-wheeler segment at large has an uphill task to improve sales, especially against Ather Energy, Ola Electric, TVS and Ampere, which lead the market in terms of volumes.

First Published Date: 27 Jul 2023, 16:06 PM IST

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2023, 08:24:27 AM »

Nonsense you've got your Damon bike right?

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2023, 09:53:11 AM »

I knew that was coming, but I did talk to WOW about being a Damon service center. Really no chance now.

I had to get a car and may be retiring sooner than I planned so couldn't get the Damon now if they said it'd be ready next week.
Thanks for thinking about me though.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2023, 11:33:28 AM »

I just thought I might go through some of your greatest hits surrounding being incredibly wrong about Damon. DJ spin it up what what. I've got more so this is just some fun from what this guy has threatened, taunted, and mocked me about.

From their FB page :

Electrifying news! Damon will be showcased at the Petersen Automotive Museum’s "Electric Revolutionaries" exhibit.
Alongside 25 unique custom electric motorcycles, our award-winning multi-variant powertrain platform, HyperDrive™, will be on display throughout the show’s year-long run.
The HyperSport and HyperFighter will also be featured on opening night - tonight!

Short notice for sure but if you're in the LA area and want to see the Damon bikes and other custom electric bikes stop by the Petersen Automotive Museum.  Tonight only for the Damon bikes.

So we've gotten some updated news that isn't the best but it is what it is.  Between the factory build supply issues and good old covid delays, things are pushed back a bit.

They are now looking at the earliest deliveries in 2023 and mine was pushed back to early 2023 instead of the original late 2022 date.

Anyone ordering now will have a 2024 date with all 2023s sold out.

The test rides should start in the fall of this year if all goes well.

They are also looking to open some Damon stores at some point in 2023.  No further details at this time.

It looks like they will be at some shows in the future with Fully Charged Live looking to do a Vancouver show in 2023 sometime.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2023, 05:42:45 PM »

So why have WOW (world of wheels?) and Blue moon dropped the brand?  Or Zero terminated the relationship?

You got a replacement battery better than the origional one if I recall correctly.  Is your dc dc converter going to last?  You seem worried that the future has no electric motorcycle in it.

Too many folks killing time throwing a fit in the dealership about the subscription business model and software activated exteras alriady installed?

If you want an electric end of season "deal"  Look at the ktm.  it may not be for you but drastic price cut and no added fees.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2023, 07:28:41 PM »

From my experiences, the service at Energica has been top notch.  Anytime I had an issue or a question they always answered me.  It may not be immediate because they are busy, but they ALWAYS answered me.

FWIW, when the executive officers / senior managers/ engineers etc,  of the company calls you personally to address issues you brought up to them, ... that's impressive.  Can you show me one other e bike company out there that has their people call you directly?  One other company that has their tech / service manager answering your questions in random forums across the web?

A person had a problem, they flew a team of engineers out to that person / that persons country to address the problem IN PERSON.
Another person had a problem, they offered to put that person up for the night while they waited for their bike to get fixed.

Im sorry but customer service like that sure as hell does NOT exist in any American company!  Hell you are lucky to get some guy from a pakistan call center who can barely speak your language, and only knows how to say, I'm soddy you are haveen probrems, let me forward you call, as they hand you off to the guy sitting next to them who is the 'senior tech' because they've been answering the phone for a week longer than him.

On a  positive note, At least you understand that an Energica is a big boy's bike.  I'll chalk that up to being your vernacular meaning, an Adults bike .vs. some childs dream toy that you yearn for that may never materialize.    Regrettably it seems you are not quite ready to get the adult sized bike, and the childs bike is not quite ready to become a reality.

Good luck in your e bike adventures.  While you are waiting, we'll be travelling the roads, when you eventually  DO get a bike and decide to follow in the tire tracks of a successful brand we'll be up ahead, feel free to catch up if you can.

Aaron

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2023, 03:45:54 AM »

Zero was like that when I bought my 2012 S. It developed a couple of problems and they drove a van from the factory, about 60 miles away, and fixed the problems at the factory and then returned the bike to my home. They did this twice, the last time due to a factory recall. Then when I bought my 2014 S with PT, the bike would not connect with the power tank and the dealer couldn't find the problem. So a tech from the factory drove to my dealer in Daly City and spent a couple of hours in their shop, where he eventually located a connector with some bent pins and also uploaded the latest firmware update, finally getting the power tank working as it should. That was really great service, which you don't get any more now that they sell a lot more bikes than back then.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2023, 10:06:09 PM »

They don't offer that service just because, or because the dealers are now spread out enough to handle the issues?

Im sure they used that trip as a training trip for the dealers as well, because lets face it, if you bought something and a month later, it's being recalled / replaced because nobody knows how to fix it, that's a real bad look for any company.

Aaron

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2023, 06:11:15 AM »

They don't offer that service just because, or because the dealers are now spread out enough to handle the issues?

Im sure they used that trip as a training trip for the dealers as well, because lets face it, if you bought something and a month later, it's being recalled / replaced because nobody knows how to fix it, that's a real bad look for any company.

Aaron

Zero also has a repair shop where dealers for around the west coast can send bikes that the dealers are unable to repair themselves.   However, I had the opportunity to visit the Zero factory early this year and was told Zero is moving to a system of remote regional factory techs that will actually visit the dealers and do repairs at the dealerships.   Aside from eliminating the need to ship bikes, this also allows the regional techs to provide training to the dealer techs.  My own SR was tended to by the eastern region factory tech when my dealer was unable to solve the issue with my SR over the last couple of months.   

Verichai

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2023, 12:21:10 PM »

So, is the brand pulling out of the US market, or at least, is that what we suspect will happen?

I have an FXS I was going to sell in the spring. Have values tanked?

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2023, 09:55:44 PM »

mdj with that business model though...
We have a team of expert techs, who will travel the country to assist dealers in fixing hard to fix stuff.
So, your bike is broken in california, they currently are in new york, it'll be a month or more for them to make it there, because they have 8 other stops between the coasts.  I live in florida, that's another month or two to make it back on the lower cross country route.

So here you sit with your ride down for months because there is nobody in the area to be able to fix it.  NOT good imo.

Those travelling techs, THAT is going to get expensive real fast too,  if they are driving, the perdiem, hotel rooms, fuel bla bla,not to mention you want me on the road for months??  ,you are going to pay me handsomely to do that shit.

If they are flying all over, with the extra luggage and tools etc THAT will get expensive very fast as well.

Be interesting to see how that ends up shaking out for them.

Aaron

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2023, 01:02:27 AM »

In order to cover the whole country, or the whole world market, they'd need a large number of remote techs so they don't have to fly or stay in hotels. You couldn't fly with enough tools, test equipment and spare parts anyway. Each will need a support office to store everything. But then they might as well make them all dealers too? They could follow the Tesla model and limit their markets. Customers without nearby support are always making trouble anyway!

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2023, 09:13:50 AM »

I called Zero and asked what my service options would be and they said they are working on a solution.  But nothing at this time.
Pages: [1] 2