News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DSR/X  (Read 1171 times)

RZ

• View Profile
DSR/X
« on: March 27, 2024, 01:39:57 AM »

Until recently I have been moving closer to purchasing an SR/S. I'm now feeling that for me, the DSR/X might be the better option
although I do not intend to take the bike off road.

Any DSR/X owners on here? I'm interested in any feedback - good and bad.

GS-A-Day

• View Profile
Re: DSR/X
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 07:13:13 AM »

I had the same decision to make last year. I've been riding BMWs R1200GSs since the 1990s and like the similarities to the Zero, like upright seating position, maneuverability, stability, torque, 19-inch front tire, two-up comfort, wind protection (got the taller windshield), hand protectors, luggage, etc. I also like the wider drive belt. Had mine for a year, almost 5000 miles, no problems.

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2024, 07:55:34 AM »

I too have both an R1250GS and a DSR/X.   If where I want to travel is within range of the DSR/X, that is the bike I am taking virtually every time.  Quite often I am 2up with my wife.   The DSR/X is an easier bike to ride 2up due to the lack of gears and clutch.   

I think at this point the DSR/X is Zero's best bike.   It certainly is their most comfortable.   And the deals that can be had in the USA on 2023 models make buying one a no-brainer.   Many dealers are selling them for the same price as they sold the DSR just a few years back.   It is way more bike than the 2nd generation DSR.   

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2024, 11:01:58 AM »

Until recently I have been moving closer to purchasing an SR/S. I'm now feeling that for me, the DSR/X might be the better option
although I do not intend to take the bike off road.

Any DSR/X owners on here? I'm interested in any feedback - good and bad.
Yes. My 2023 Zero DSR/X is my favorite bike for most of my rides out of my 11 listed below.  But perhaps I will like the Experia better after the FW updates, it just has too many bugs as is. But it will be updated soon.

The Experia has DCFC and more range. But the Zero DSR/X has no bugs and countless places I can charge it for free, and I find the 6.6 kW is fast enough for me. I decided against the extra charger as I often need the extra storage space. I also find it has enough range for me. And if you really want to go far, you can charge the DSR/X to 110% SOC. But not to be used too often, if you want the battery to last.

IMO, the Zero DSR/X is the best bike Zero ever made.

And unlike the Experia, you can get the centerstand in a reasonable time.

On mine, I have the crash bars and all the hard luggage as well.

See my thread here.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

efull

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2024, 02:28:13 PM »

And unlike the Experia, you can get the centerstand in a reasonable time.

In France, I ordered the centerstand at the same time as the bike 1.5 years ago. I've had the bike for 1 year but still no centerstand

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2024, 03:21:29 PM »

Given the complaints about the centerstand, geez, how hard is it to contract even a local company to make one to slap on there?
You have the specs, find a machine shop and have them churn some out.  Or a fab shop, it can't be rocket science for something so simple, or is there some regulatory BS that's holding them back?

Given how exemplary Energica otherwise is with their customer service and warranty work, etc, it's just surprising to see this relatively small issue, still,  such an issue.

Aaron

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2024, 04:12:09 AM »

Here is a recent review of the DSR-X. The presenter mentions that Zero has just dropped the price of the bike by $5K and it is now selling for an MSRP of $20K. 
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2024, 05:48:28 AM »

Here is a recent review of the DSR-X. The presenter mentions that Zero has just dropped the price of the bike by $5K and it is now selling for an MSRP of $20K.
The video showed why you do NOT want miles of range to be shown on the screen. Why only motorcycles do this so stupidly, I will never understand. EV cars don't do it so stupidly as motorcycles. My Tesla range in miles is about three times the SOC% and that works well enough.  On the DRS/X just use your percent soc as miles of range and that will be a lot closer than a screen that says you have 150 miles of range left (downhill) to say you have 10 miles range left in five more miles or so as you go up the next hill.

One thing I like about the DSR/X is I do NOT have to have the stupid range left on the screen. And the SOC% is close enough to one mile per %.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2024, 06:07:03 AM »

So, the price drop is on new left over 2023 bikes?  I see the video is 1 day old.  I don't know about you guys but the fees beyond msrp tend to be minimal for new left over bikes as least the smaller ones I pay attention to.

Does the guy know what he is talking about around minute 2:30  fully adjustable fork and shock top end stuff.  I am not a top end street (adventure here) bike expert, but a top end dirt bike will have fully adjustable meaning high speed and low speed seperate compression adjusters on the shock.  Even then there is often more top of the line so to speak here as opposed to there.

It says 6.6kw integrated charger on the zero site.  Seems his 20-minute charge should have got him more miles he did not speak in terms of kwh he put into the bike in the 20 minutes.

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2024, 07:03:59 AM »

So, the price drop is on new left over 2023 bikes?  I see the video is 1 day old.  I don't know about you guys but the fees beyond msrp tend to be minimal for new left over bikes as least the smaller ones I pay attention to.

I think that dealers tend to offer big discounts off MSRP and then tack on larger than normal fees.   The out the door price on my DSR/X was about $17,750.  Sales tax, freight, dealer prep, doc/admin fees were $3750 of that $17,750.   Still a hell of a lot cheaper than the original $24,995 MSRP though.

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2024, 05:43:50 PM »

That's about the price they should be charging before they start flash sales and discount incentives...

Cas :)

Motoproponent

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2024, 10:20:24 PM »

Unless you're worried about seat height, you can't go wrong with an ADV or "Adventure Touring" bike. Outside of a racetrack they can do anything other bikes can, within the limits of the law and prudent moto-behavior. Plus they're comfortable, have a commanding view of traffic and terrain from the cockpit and the ground clearance to hop a curb, take stairs, or run down a fire road.

I sold my 1190 Adventure to get an Experia. It was buggy at first but now I'm pretty happy with it. There are still some quirks though. My wife Rides a Zero DSR and honestly, Zero's longevity in the electric moto space is evident. As Don said the new Zero's are solid machines.

The only thing that tipped the scale to the Experia for me was that Zeros cant take DC Charging. The DSR/X would fill my use case well, but I road trip frequently and relying on AC charging only won't get me to the places I want to go in the time I want to get there.

I don't know where you're located but here's a DSR/X in Santa Fe for less then $15,000

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2023-Zero-DSR%2FX+ZF17.3-5023700756

I know you can set up searches in Cycle Trader with email alerts when you get a match. There's at least one person that got an Experia at a significant discount that way when they were still new and all of us on the waiting list were waiting for the call. Put the model and price parameters you can be comfy with and wait till it pops up on the secondary market.

"Life is a deathbound train"

2024 Energica Experia
@motoproponent on Youtube

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2024, 10:44:07 PM »

Unless you're worried about seat height, you can't go wrong with an ADV or "Adventure Touring" bike. Outside of a racetrack they can do anything other bikes can, within the limits of the law and prudent moto-behavior. Plus they're comfortable, have a commanding view of traffic and terrain from the cockpit and the ground clearance to hop a curb, take stairs, or run down a fire road.

I sold my 1190 Adventure to get an Experia. It was buggy at first but now I'm pretty happy with it. There are still some quirks though. My wife Rides a Zero DSR and honestly, Zero's longevity in the electric moto space is evident. As Don said the new Zero's are solid machines.

The only thing that tipped the scale to the Experia for me was that Zeros cant take DC Charging. The DSR/X would fill my use case well, but I road trip frequently and relying on AC charging only won't get me to the places I want to go in the time I want to get there.

I don't know where you're located but here's a DSR/X in Santa Fe for less then $15,000

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2023-Zero-DSR%2FX+ZF17.3-5023700756

I know you can set up searches in Cycle Trader with email alerts when you get a match. There's at least one person that got an Experia at a significant discount that way when they were still new and all of us on the waiting list were waiting for the call. Put the model and price parameters you can be comfy with and wait till it pops up on the secondary market.
You can get up to 13.2 KWH charging in the DSR/X with the extra charger.  But not all charge stations can handle that. But I find the 6.6 KW charger to be fast enough and even that exceeds the capacity of many J-1772 stations that I use.

With some planning, such as a long lunch break, I can cover a lot of miles with the DSR/X even with the 6.6KW charger.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Motoproponent

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2024, 11:23:50 PM »

You can get up to 13.2 KWH charging in the DSR/X with the extra charger.  But not all charge stations can handle that. But I find the 6.6 KW charger to be fast enough and even that exceeds the capacity of many J-1772 stations that I use.

With some planning, such as a long lunch break, I can cover a lot of miles with the DSR/X even with the 6.6KW charger.

-Don-  Reno, NV

I frequently do 350 to 450 miles a day when I'm road tripping and I only want to ride during daylight hours. Even with the advanced charge rate on the Zero there just aren't enough AC chargers that can push that kind of current around the places I want to go. Maybe when there is a DJ Industries dual j-plug application for the DSR/X....it will meet my needs.

But right now I try to buy bikes that come stock with everything I need. My days of buying a bike that's close but then turning to the aftermarket to get it where I really want are over. I don't even put aftermarket mufflers or shocks on bikes anymore. Nor do I buy multiple bikes to have a commuter, a road tripper, a track bike,...etc.

I examine my use case, figure out what meets my needs, and buy it or continue riding the "good enough" that I have while I wait till it comes out..... and then buy it.

I was really happy with the 1190 but wanted electric after seeing how my wife lived with her Zero.

As soon as Zero comes out with a DSR/X type bike that can take DC charging I'll probably get it as it will probably have more and better capabilities than my Experia and be a more "finished" machine. But right now, this Experia is the bee's frickin knees. :)
"Life is a deathbound train"

2024 Energica Experia
@motoproponent on Youtube

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2024, 05:43:03 AM »

That's one thing I wish Energica could do is bump up their AC charging.  Throw 2 chargers in there, though it'd be tight I think it is doable with a little finagling.  Maybe do a Master / slave thing with them, so one controls the charge and the other just pumps into the battery until a set point say half a volt under ideal, then it tapers off and by that time, your balancing charge is within the capacity of one, so the master takes over.  Call one a smart charger because it talks CCS, the other a dumb charger because  it just turns on via a relay when the charging mode kicks in or something.

Ideally you could do a 20 to 80 in about 2 hours on A/C.  Not too terribly bad, but would lessen the 'oh geez this is slow' factor quite a bit when stuck AC charging, and it'd still be within a 30 amp circuit which is very common for 240 VAC.

Aaron
Pages: [1] 2 3