• May 09, 2024, 05:28:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: DSR/X (again)  (Read 591 times)

RZ

• View Profile
DSR/X (again)
« on: April 01, 2024, 07:38:21 PM »

I'm creating a new post because my previous post regarding DSR/X has become a discussion on charging preferences and
availability, which is interesting but not my primary concern. Thanks for all the answers to my original question.

It seems from those responses that the DSR/X does not suffer from any of the problems of the earlier SRF/SRS models, being:

waterproofing of key electronic components
problems with the Zero app
magic charging
battery failures
brake discs warping
belt failures - the belt is properly shrouded which must help.

I know I'm being timid with regard to buying a Zero - which I've wanted to do since I first rode an SRS four years ago -
but when I do it will need to be a keeper and I cannot spend that sort of money on a bike which might be unreliable and
which I know will quickly lose a lot of it's residual value. I'm in the UK and prices for mostly ex demo very low mileage
DSR/X are very tempting.

Motoproponent

• View Profile
Re: DSR/X (again)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 11:05:52 PM »

DSR/X is selling like hotcakes here in the states. That has to say something about it. The people I know that have one are happy with it. Even those with other electric motorcycles to compare it to.

If you were ever going to get a Zero, the DSR/X will probably be the one you would want.

If you're worried about depreciation, wait a few more months. When the new ones come out, the old ones will be discounted and used ones will show up in the sales spots.
"Life is a deathbound train"

2024 Energica Experia
@motoproponent on Youtube

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 09:03:35 AM »

Roman Nedielka ( e.round the world ) has ridden his DSR/X around the world alone without any support. He put about 38,000  km on it in about six months. I ask him about the service and reliability of the bike. He changed the tires, brake pads and belt at 25,000 km. He replaced the headlight at 30,000 km. The only maintenance was simple belt adjustment. I would say it’s a very reliable motorcycle so don’t worry and go ahead and buy the bike. I have 9,500 miles on mine and so far trouble free.

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2024, 12:21:32 AM »

Zero is offering a free rapid charger upgrade with all left over 2023 bikes. Sweet deal.

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2024, 04:50:18 AM »

Zero is offering a free rapid charger upgrade with all left over 2023 bikes. Sweet deal.

It is even better than that:   https://zeromotorcycles.com/promotions?wst_prospect=F6E28ECF-97BF-4545-9C96-249DA19A1791&wst_wtu=0e02d7a3-2666-424b-9407-e3ebe1fdaed3

2023 DSR/X:
$1,250 rebate or 2.99% APR, $1,000 down for up to 36 months
and
Free Zero Rapid Charger

The Rapid Charger on the DSR/X is a $3000 option!!!

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2024, 09:58:12 AM »

RZ, if you are worried about losing residual value of your bike, then don't get a bike.
Or a car for that matter either.
Nobody is quite as proud of their products price wise as a 'New' vehicle dealer.. well maybe the guy who sells you 50 dollar a teaspoon printer ink but that's another topic :)

Although the topic seems to be drifting back to charging options again, it seems like this is the time to pull the trigger if you are going to get one.

one question you need to ask yourself seriously though is, am I going to be like most riders, and most my charging is done at home while I sleep, or do I HAVE to be able to charge the thing on the road to use it?  If you must, bring 3 or 4 plug adapters, and I think you have your answer, and the bike of your dreams is about to become a reality.

If you do get it, let us know and post pics !!

Aaron

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 04:56:59 PM »

The depreciation on all Zeros in the UK is absolutely savage and you just have to accept that economy is not the reason you're buying one, it's because they're cool and different and a good ride.

My SR/F is ~4 years old now, has done 16k miles, cost me ~£20k, and is now worth just £8k in part ex. When the battery warranty runs out it will further plummet in value.

If you want economy you have to use them, a lot, and keep them a long time.

Cas :)

RZ

• View Profile
DSR/X (again)
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2024, 08:24:45 PM »

Thanks to all respondents. Sounds like Zero may have nailed it with the DSR/X (possibly the latest SRF/S too?).

Residual value: I know the bike's value will drop - and probably faster than an ICE bike. I'm guessing there is
also a very small market for a used Zero, at least here in the UK.

That's why I wanted to better understand if long term ownership is likely to be less of a problem than some earlier
models. My intention is to keep the bike for as long as possible.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2024, 02:48:55 AM »

The battery is NOT guaranteed to DIE in 5 years!!  or turn into shit just because it's now 7 years old.  If you treat it properly and don't continually push either end of the charge boundries, it should last a very long time and keep you happy.

Also remember, tech.. gets better and cheaper as time goes on as well... generally.   Lithium prices have come down a LOT just over the past few years.  Batteries that were 2k now you can get for 750 dollars.    solar panels started out 3 dollars a watt, now are 25 cents a watt, even with todays high prices!   

My point being, even when it IS time to change out the battery, there may be a good chance you can get a newer one, newer tech, maybe cheaper, faster, bigger, better type thing.

The industry is maturing pretty well here and everyone knows the next major milestone is going to be the storage system. aka battery / cap system, so many are working very hard on this very problem, because face it,. the first to come out with a game changing alternative, just like Lithium was the game changer over lead acid, is poised to make BILLIONS, literally overnight in this one.

Aaron

2020_SRS_Commuter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2024, 03:38:50 AM »

I also like to "buy once, cry once" as they say, and keep things long term.
FWIW I purchased an SRS new in 2020, and has just a few miles under 50k right now. 499xx something like that. Rode it to work today. It's still working reliably.
I don't notice any reduction in battery capacity. I do notice that it reaches the thermal limit on the battery easier than it used to. In the past I could ride at top speed until the thermal limit light for the motor lit and the bike slowed down. I could go 100-120mph for my entire commute if I wanted to. I did this so often I added a shroud and a fan to help keep the motor cooler. ( I ride very fast )
But after about a year or so, something changed and if I ride at 100mph continuously,  after a few minutes the battery heat will cause the bike to slow to 90mph, then 80mph. Never needed the motor cooling fan again so I took it off.
I don't know if that is a degradation of the battery, or maybe a BMS firmware update changed the way they manage it. One thing I did notice is the symbol on the display that shows battery temp always has the first square lit white already when I turn on the bike after sitting overnight, and the motor temp doesn't. That has no squares lit on startup. IDK why.
But in short, aside from a firmware lockup once, some trouble figuring out the ISO faults from water getting in the charger cooling ports, and some piss poor disk metals that caused me to change the front brakes to EBC, its run flawlessly every day. Very, very reliable. Im very happy with it.

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2024, 02:19:54 AM »

The battery is NOT guaranteed to DIE in 5 years!!  or turn into shit just because it's now 7 years old.  If you treat it properly and don't continually push either end of the charge boundries, it should last a very long time and keep you happy.

Also remember, tech.. gets better and cheaper as time goes on as well... generally.   Lithium prices have come down a LOT just over the past few years.  Batteries that were 2k now you can get for 750 dollars.    solar panels started out 3 dollars a watt, now are 25 cents a watt, even with todays high prices!   

My point being, even when it IS time to change out the battery, there may be a good chance you can get a newer one, newer tech, maybe cheaper, faster, bigger, better type thing.

The industry is maturing pretty well here and everyone knows the next major milestone is going to be the storage system. aka battery / cap system, so many are working very hard on this very problem, because face it,. the first to come out with a game changing alternative, just like Lithium was the game changer over lead acid, is poised to make BILLIONS, literally overnight in this one.

Aaron

I am very dissapointed with Zero. Bought a DSR in 2020, now I have magic charging and almost 20% of capacity loss and Zero is not replacing the battery under warranty. With this problem, I have to pay $8k for a battery replacement if I want to have a normal working battery, which makes my bike the most expensive waste of money I've ever made.

Consider this when buying ANY electric vehicle... I own 3 electric bicycles, 2 scooters, a zero motorcycle and an electric car. Two of the bicycles got the battery replaced under warranty, and one of the scooters too. Now I am having problems with the zero motorcycle. ALL batteries will fail sooner or later, you need to pray so yours get wasted after 10 years...

Good Luck.
ZERO DSR 2020 - TOURING SEAT - TREKKER 52
Pages: [1]