• May 08, 2024, 10:40:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Should there be a separate section for the SR/F?  (Read 66271 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Should there be a separate section for the SR/F?
« on: March 12, 2019, 03:37:44 AM »

My feeling is that the SR/F needs a separate section in the forum, as was created when the 2013 models were introduced. It seems to me that the SR/F is so much different in every way from previous Zeros that it should not be lumped in with the 2013+ Zeros.  To make room for another model in the forum, I am pretty sure that at least one of the other brands could be replaced.  Maybe even more than one.   ;)

For historical research, the defunct brands could be lumped into the "other motorcycles" section.  Or maybe one titled "dead ducks".   ::)

What do you think?   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
Re: Should there be a separate section for the SR/F?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 05:04:49 AM »

I don't think there's going to be as clean a year break as there was for 2013+

Looks like the existing models will coexist with the SR/f.

It'll be interesting to see if there are /f versions of all the model eventually.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 05:58:01 AM »

The new platform will likely sit alongside the X and S/DS platforms for a while, and it does seem to share a certain amount of subsystems with the same dealerships.

FWIW I'm debating how to handle the fundamental differences on the unofficial manual wiki, both from a content architecture point of view (how the hell does anyone find anything) and the amount of sheer effort in differentiating content as the curator. Especially since I'm tired of having this role without an agreed upon way for me to be compensated.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 05:59:48 AM »

I will add that it's already nearly impossible to tell from a forum post (title and which subforum it's on) what platform, model, and year the thread concerns.

Subforums should benefit us in terms of knowing what to pay attention to and what we can ignore. But they're already failing us.

GrantMeStrength

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 07:59:04 AM »

Yes, there should be a new section as it's a completely different bike, and probably the start of a new series.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 10:01:53 AM »

Definitely should not be called the srf group though. let's wait till there's a designation of the new platform, find out what zero calls it. It may be that the next one is the DSR/f, in which case I imagine we can collect the f platform. Or maybe they go in a different direction.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 10:52:39 AM »

For the short term I'd say no it's just one model and though it's a hot topic for sure I don't know how many more will follow.
Just looking at some of the features that wider rear tire only works for a street bike.  I've not seen that type of frame on off road bikes but I havn't been looking for them at this point though.
I don't know if that swing arm could work for anything but the street, and I don't think that motor could fit without it.
Maybe there will be new models with their own new features but I think this platform is pretty well shoe horned into a street only use.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 11:15:37 AM »

I have some indications that there is at least one other model that is somewhat categorically different. Not that I know, and I'm trying to get some independent corroboration or to get someone from Zero to speak up.

Let's wait to see what Zero drops as an official manual or something. Unless, of course, the subforum can be renamed later.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 08:29:29 PM »

Perhaps the eventual solution will be designating a model year break, as was done with the 2012 and earlier bikes and the 2013 and later models?  Perhaps, 2020 and later Zero models?  Like has been mentioned, it is probably too early to decide how to organize the different years and discussions. Something to think about, though.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 08:53:17 PM »

I'd love to see it broken down into the old <200 mile range and the >500 mile range category.   ;)

I do like the idea of grouping the dead companies into a group of "learning examples" of maybe what not to do.

DynoMutt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 03:23:53 AM »

Yes, there should be a new section as it's a completely different bike, and probably the start of a new series.

This, it's a new frame, it has a separate and distinct style from the existing 2013-2019 series of S/DS bikes.

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 01:17:46 AM »

If we are voting, I vote no.  I think there is enough overlap between the two.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2019, 02:51:56 AM »

+1 for "no". It's only different from my 2014 SR evolutionarily, not revolutionarily.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

GrantMeStrength

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 02:10:07 AM »

The SR/F is more different from the 2013+, than the 2013+ is different from the 2012.
New design, new motor, new firmware, new screen, new tires, new swingarm, new brakes, new saddle, new headlights.. I don't know how it could be considered close.
Oh - it has the same mirrors. I get it.

GaryArt1

• Ride with Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 01:26:04 AM »

I think there is so much that is changed on this bike, it will have its own "issues" and should have its own section.  AS one article stated, it kept the same turn signals, foot pegs, mirrors and battery (though this is even encased differently).  All else is new,  So my vote is yes for new section.
Currently own: 
2020 Blue Zero SR/F Premium
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6