• May 08, 2024, 01:53:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Should there be a separate section for the SR/F?  (Read 66263 times)

Fran K

• View Profile
Re: Should there be a separate section for the SR/F?
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2019, 08:24:27 PM »

. Whenever you see a video of a motorcycle being tested on a Dynojet, you will notice that it quickly spins up to maximum revs then back down again, before another run is tried. It does not test power being developed at a steady speed with varying loads.

That is for sure, we had a dyno at a 4 wheel drive event, a few seconds at most under power.  Most of them are limited probably to 95mph like my pick up so they did something else perhaps put in a dedicated gear.

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2019, 11:30:21 PM »

After test-riding the thing - I agree there should be a separate section for the newer Zero bikes, whether it's /F bikes, or 2020+ bikes, the SR/F is definitely a huge leap forward in technology and is in a league of it's own. I'll probably be trading my '15 SR in on an SR/F once the 'PowerTank' is available... although I'm also carefully watching Lightning to see what they end up doing.
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2019, 01:44:53 PM »

Yes much has changed with the display and dealer software tools, the kettle cord is gone, but is this really so different from 2013+? Same battery voltage, no CCS capability, most of the changes are in operation and appearances (as you would from FX to DS we have SR to SR/F).

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2019, 09:20:06 AM »

If you get a chance to test-ride it you will see the difference. It is much more powerful, it is more comfortable, it looks nicer, it corners better with the fatter tires, there are more ride-mode options, better regen, better display, etc.
But, sadly, no fast-DC charging. They claim 12 kW charging - which is pretty darn fast - but you'll have to find a 50A NEMA 14-50 240V outlet to accomplish this. If I get one of these bikes and go for a long ride I'll plan to stop at RV parks to charge, rather than car-charging stations.
Also, as mentioned - I would be downgrading on the range if I bought a 14 kWh version now. Once the PowerTank is available it will be an upgrade for me at 18 kWh (I currently have 15 kWh). If that 20% increase in battery size translates to a 20% increase in range it should get a reliable 120 miles/charge.
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2019, 10:20:38 AM »

If you get a chance to test-ride it you will see the difference. It is much more powerful, it is more comfortable, it looks nicer, it corners better with the fatter tires, there are more ride-mode options, better regen, better display, etc.
More comfortable? That depends on who is riding it.

I did a test ride on a SR/F. While I was very impressed with its performance of being scary fast, it was one of the most uncomfortable bikes I have ever been on. Footpegs up too high was my biggest compliant. And also a sporty lean so head must be tilted up.

But the seat was a big improvement, I think. But I wasn't in it for long enough to be sure.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2019, 11:09:45 AM »

If you get a chance to test-ride it you will see the difference. ...
I have. It rode well on the street, as does any of the S/DS and to a lesser degree the FX/S. In terms of handling and suitability for Off-Road / Adventure / Street, I don't think it's (SR/F) any greater of a leap in advancement from S/DS than the S/DS are from FX/S. Each is just a refinement of suitability for its marketed purpose. The S/DS I thought was marketed wrongly and a nearly-missed opportunity to build a badass grocery getter and scooter, really. If you were looking for a street bike maybe you would be enthused enough to overlook some failings (nay, compromises) on the S/DS platform because what else was there anyway? The SR/F kind of addresses those. But is a different frame and a full color display enough to warrant its own topic? I'm "holding my breath" to see where Zero Motorcycles goes with their line of new vehicles. The new display on the 2013+ (?) was and still is a differentiation among other changes such as pack voltages. We still have the same pack voltages and to the best of my understanding the internal battery construction has not substantially changed that it would be incompatible to FX/S or S/DS. My first impulse is to say yes the SR/F is so much obviously different (and more beautiful to look at) but I'm coming from having ridden a DSR on some weird desert off-road adventures and the SR/F is far worse off for that purpose. Other than suitability I don't see the case for it being anything other than the new luxury priced pure-streetbike flavor of the 2013+ platform to carry the other flavors of diet-trailbike and commuter/grocery-getter.

Open to suggestions as always!  But yeah I've ridden the thing. It would not make it down my dirt driveway with any degree of confidence, and beyond that I see only incremental improvements to the technical bits that make it go versus the mostly-complete range of model year 2014+ bikes I'm now familiar with.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2019, 07:41:59 PM »

My thought is that in many ways the 2020 SR/F platform is at least as much of a change from the 2013-2019 S/DR models as was the 2013 models from the 2012 version.  And of course, nothing seems the same between the 2009/10/11 platform and the later versions. Zeros keep changing and improving (as we all hope that they will) and the question is when have they changed enough to warrant a separate sub-forum so that information and discussion about those models can be more easily found?  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2019, 11:08:36 PM »

I think we’ll have a problem naming this new sub forum once it’s more than the SR/F model, which seems very likely. “FST platform” is insider lingo that no new owner will understand.

So, maybe “2020+ /F models”?
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

remmie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2019, 01:11:25 AM »

here's my 2 cts

every simple question about an SR/F will yield different results compared to a S, SR,  DS, DSR, FX, FXS etc.
* Motor (mounting)
* battery case and thermal management : different (yet to be proven that it copes with back to back riding hard and charging fast but they claim that they improved it
* seat mounting : different
* fairing mounting : different
* headlight (bulb) : different (full LED now)
* Charging : way different (gone is the highly unreliable Calex / Greenwatt power charger) that should save some threads on it's own :)
* charge level limiting : different (now easily done from the app)
* aux connection : different (allas, no more aux connection :(
* Wheels/ Tires : different (much wider)
* belt (replacement) : different (wider / easier to replace)
* Dash (problems/questions) : way different
* Firmware updates : different (on the bike instead of via the app)
* cell phone charging : different
* odb connector : different (place)
* tail fling problems / tail tidy : different due to the wheel scraper (or how it's called)
* seat : different (normal / high and low seat available
* top/side rack and case questions : different
* traction control / cornering control / stability control : way different
* Mode change etc : different
* Storage compartment : different
* diginow placement not possible : different
* controller location / connection : different place / model
* Generally everything electric (wiring/connectors etc etc) : different
* brake (maintenance) : different (radial / 2 discs / different pads)
* bearings : different (sizes) throughout the bike
* handlebar controls : different (i.e cruise control / menu button / low beam switch)

And now for the simularities :

* 2 wheels and a handlebar : same :) sorry couldn't resist  ;)
* turn signals : surprisingly the same and still incandescant
* charge voltage : same (but I've heard unconfirmed rumors of a different chemistry)
* Mirrors : same
* footpegs : same

For the rest i cannot think of more things that are the same.

And for those contemplating that the FX-family should have been in a seperate section as well : Yes it should have. Lots of differences between the models.(about half of my described differences between (D)S(R ) and SR/F applies to the (D)S(R ) vs FX(S) as well.

There will always be different opinions, but mine is : Seperate section for the SR/F (Family) for sure. "Zero motorcycles Forum | 2020+ /F models" sounds like a plan.
Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2019, 01:20:16 AM »

My thought is that in many ways the 2020 SR/F platform is at least as much of a change from the 2013-2019 S/DR models as was the 2013 models from the 2012 version.
Richard said it best - I also rode a 2012 Zero ZF9 - when I test-rode a 2015 SR I was blown away by the vast improvement. So I traded my 2012 in on my '15 SR, now ready do to the same with the SR/F :-)

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2019, 03:02:18 AM »

I think we’ll have a problem naming this new sub forum once it’s more than the SR/F model, which seems very likely. “FST platform” is insider lingo that no new owner will understand.

What are they calling the new software? Crypto-something?
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2019, 03:09:15 AM »

What are they calling the new software? Crypto-something?

Cypher III. Which no owner is going to think of, and potential owners definitely won’t.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2019, 01:02:03 AM »

> > What are they calling the new software? Crypto-something?

> Cypher III. Which no owner is going to think of, and potential owners definitely won’t.

When you think about the lack of service manual from Zero, kind of fits, haha.

Buying a Honda NM4.  Service manual was $45 on the used market, and is an inch thick.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2019, 06:28:56 AM »

Should there be a separate section for the SR/F?

I owned Zero gen 2. I now own a Zero gen 3 SR/F. They are so much different that yes, yes, YES a new section is warranted. JHC, why is this thread still alive and a new section not created??????

Yo Mods: C'mon man!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 06:35:50 AM by heroto »

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2019, 11:44:11 AM »

Should there be a separate section for the SR/F?

I owned Zero gen 2. I now own a Zero gen 3 SR/F. They are so much different that yes, yes, YES a new section is warranted. JHC, why is this thread still alive and a new section not created??????

Yo Mods: C'mon man!
I also agree and I don't even own  a SR/F. Perhaps somebody should post a poll to see how many want a separate  section for the SR/F and how many do not.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X