• May 08, 2024, 03:14:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: UK Insurers/Brokers  (Read 64048 times)

Tomcat

• View Profile
Re: UK Insurers/Brokers
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2021, 03:12:34 PM »

When I asked my insurer to swap my insurance from my BMW F850GS to the FX I had just purchased. Bennetts informed me that they didn't offer insurance for electric motorcycles.
A site search revealed a number of alternatives. Guess who was number 4 on the list? Bennetts!
I went with MCE as their quote of £136 included legal cover, personal injury and roadside recovery.
Yes. I'm lucky I live in rural parts and have a garage.

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2021, 04:15:01 PM »

Watch out for MCE - many horror stories abound. I won't touch them. Treat as if you have 3rd party only.

Cas :)

hotrob

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2021, 08:47:24 PM »

Bennetts informed me that they didn't offer insurance for electric motorcycles.
Well they did last June when I took out insurance through them for my SR.  The insurance is with AXA Insurance UK plc.  It cost me £227 (just comprehensive with protected NCB would have been £187).  (I'm over 60 years old.)

Andrew Zero S

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2021, 09:13:09 PM »

Sorry to hear people have had trouble with MCE. They've been very good to me. I was paying £700 - £800 for 3 years because I had 7 points. During the third year my encoder broke (see upcoming post "Zero and the art of motorcycle maintenance") and they allowed me to cancel and gave me a perfectly fair refund.

Now that my points have finally expired they gave me TPFT for £310, a bit cheaper than Lexham.

DVLA is trying to fine me for not having insurance. My argument is that the bike was insured under the mechanics policy. Both mechanics confirm that the bike was insured while under their care.

Richardjg

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2021, 02:43:45 PM »

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've currently bought a new Zero S 11Kw ZF14.4 and I'm going through the hurt
of trying to find someone to insure it. All comparison sites do not list this bike, if you enter the reg number
the site comes back with the wrong model showing it as a Zero S (59bhp). I want to ride this bike on a CBT,
so the online quote fails every time at this point. However, I eventually have a quote from Lexham, their website
failed for the above reason, so I phoned them and the guy was pleased to tell me that you can't ride a 59bhp bike
with a CBT, so explained that the bike I have is not a 59bhp bike and he went off to make some enquiries, when he
came back I had to show him the website where I bought the bike from and eventually he carried on with the quote.
The quote came back at £1025 and told him I wasn't happy with that but asked him to email the quote which he
did. A couple of hours later I decided to try another quote on the Lexham website and this time the 11kW bike appeared
on the list and the quote went through, the online quote was now £704.51. Quite a difference. I'm 68 years of age returning
to biking my last blast before I kick the bucket and thought this bike would give me a taste of a big bike feel. So, the question
is do you think I could improve on this quote or do you think it's as good as it's going to get. I'm on a cbt. I was going to do
the full licence, but no need to with this bike at my time of life.

peterwarm

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2021, 04:38:58 PM »

My latest insurance journey might be of interest:

SR/F premium 2019. I've been with Lexham for 2 years (£930 and £550) as I have had no previous Ncb.

Last week I used MCN compare and got Lexham  £434, MCE £373, so I went for MCE.

Started a discussion with my mate about insurance for riding each others bikes, checked with MCE, told no cover for riding other bikes for electric bikes (??!??). 

Goggled around and found CarolNash. I remember them from years back. They were happy with riding other bikes. Yes!
Better, They were happy to accept my lockable wooden garden shed as a garage "as long as it has  walls and a roof and its lockable its OK". So they gave me a quote of £331.

My MCE policy had been in operation for an hour, so I cancelled it. They charged me one day (~£2) but £75 cancellation charge, even though it was within the 14 day "cancellation period".  I was so happy to swap I accepted it.

Hope this story helps someone else.
Nov 2019 Blue SR/F  doesnt like rain - 2 rebuilds now Ok
Windscreen / 12kW Charge
Underseat 13A(UK) and Type2 cables
SRS pegs / keyless rear seat and tank hatch
... fairing......?

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2021, 05:45:49 PM »

MCE should be avoided at all costs. Plenty of nightmare stories around about them wriggling out of claims etc. (just google for that and see for yourself ... dodged a bullet). Carole Nash are reputable (as are Lexham).
I believe you should probably not have paid MCE their £75 back either.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2021, 08:17:25 PM »

I've got my renewal coming up soon and my quote from Lexham is £571 compared to £645 last year (haven't made any claims). This including all my extra cover (helmet and leathers, break down, etc.). Also my excess has dropped from something like £1200 to £950. I'm still going to get some quotes from other companies as I was expecting it to be a bit lower this time around.

Andrew Zero S

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2022, 08:49:04 PM »

Well I suppose you've all heard about MCE's bankruptcy. Anyone get any compensation for their cancelled policy yet?
Andrew

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2022, 09:50:55 PM »

haha as if :)

Unrelatedly, my premium went down massively this year for the SR/F, just £234 this year vs. £332 last year.

the-bunker

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2023, 08:00:38 PM »

I thought it worth posting my quest for cheap insurance on a 2022 FXE on top of my ICE bike (insured with Bikesure)
After some shopping around they seemed to come up witht he best deal, around £75 to add the FXE to my exiting insurance & about the same price hike at renewal over & above last years (1 bike) insurance.
I thought that was a pretty good deal. Shopping around for seperate insurance without any NCB was around £250 !!

AlanR

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2023, 03:20:46 AM »

I insured my new DS last June with Devitt (on Compare the Market) for £220.  That was the day before the policy started because I didn't get the reg no until then.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]