• May 05, 2024, 06:02:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: SR/F sounds way different after 600mi service  (Read 1477 times)

Curt

• View Profile
Re: SR/F sounds way different after 600mi service
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2019, 03:24:37 PM »

Two suggestions before you make the dreaded trek:

1. You mentioned there is a sticky substance on the belt. Belts can make some nasty noises when wet, e.g. in the rain. Use a towel, dish soap or laundry detergent or Simple Green and a brush to thoroughly clean and rinse it. No brake cleaner or anything else too harsh... hopefully it isn't some stubborn silicone stuff.

2. Get the $12 Gates 91107 belt tension gauge and measure tension for real. For my 8mm belt the tension gauge indicates 25KG, dead center range and I never have problems with it. The app says 54Hz when ostensibly it should be 96-125Hz.
https://www.amazon.com/Gates-91107-Belt-Tension-Tester/dp/B000MUTAGS

gstrub

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2019, 03:47:44 AM »

Cleaning the belt and applying CRC heavy duty silicone spray (recommended by Zero to offset the stick substance) has fixed the issue for now!!

bergercurtis

• Motorcycle junkie, new to EV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2019, 11:27:29 PM »

Two suggestions before you make the dreaded trek:

1. You mentioned there is a sticky substance on the belt. Belts can make some nasty noises when wet, e.g. in the rain. Use a towel, dish soap or laundry detergent or Simple Green and a brush to thoroughly clean and rinse it. No brake cleaner or anything else too harsh... hopefully it isn't some stubborn silicone stuff.

2. Get the $12 Gates 91107 belt tension gauge and measure tension for real. For my 8mm belt the tension gauge indicates 25KG, dead center range and I never have problems with it. The app says 54Hz when ostensibly it should be 96-125Hz.
https://www.amazon.com/Gates-91107-Belt-Tension-Tester/dp/B000MUTAGS

Not sure if it's just our tension tester or what.. The click seems to come on from an early torque click or late and varies by almost double the weight. I personally like using the phone application because it has been consistent. Does your Carbon Drive app read 54hz though you have 'correct tension' (within spec) from the gauge?
-Curtis
2020 Zero SR/F Premium Seabright Blue
Licensed Zero Dealer in Colorado Springs

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2019, 01:49:41 PM »

Not sure if it's just our tension tester or what.. The click seems to come on from an early torque click or late and varies by almost double the weight. I personally like using the phone application because it has been consistent. Does your Carbon Drive app read 54hz though you have 'correct tension' (within spec) from the gauge?

The Gates clicker is very consistent, showing 25 kg across every reading, while Carbon Drive is also very consistent showing 53hz or 54hz. One of them has a factor of 2 discrepancy. Before the Carbon Drive app was available I had tried a different app that gave few/inconsistent readings.

When I first brought home the bike it had an alarming bearing whine sound and Gates read 100 kg. After I reduced that to 25 kg, the noise was gone. After 3 yr and 8300 mi the belt appears in perfect condition despite some, uh, mistreatment.

MBldc

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2019, 02:17:09 PM »

Hi Folks,

Thought, my question might fit into this "sound topic"  :D

I drove my SR/F for about 600km so far. Works perfect and a lot of fun to drive, especially in sport mode  8)

Question to SR/F-Owners:

Does your belt-drive also sound a little rough and "wobbling" under no load and slight recuperation (<10%)? Under load and at higher speeds the acustic wobbling is gone, and despite that, the drivetrain works perfect. Its just an unconfortable feeling, when the bike makes such a cheap noise while coasting in urban areas. Tension is right within spec. (~65Hz in the Gates-App), and belt does not rub against the shoulder of the rear pulley.
Maybe its still a burn in process and will get better over time? My old DS' drivetrain was not perfect and wobbling too, but it was way less present all the time. I knew that the new and more rigid drivetrain of the SR/F might sound louder, but I hoped it will be machined and balanced more perfect.

Regards,
Marco
Zero SR/F

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2019, 08:01:00 PM »

Perhaps the wider and stiffer belt used on the SR/F contributes to the noise. I suspect it will quiet down as the miles pile up. I think it took about 1000 miles before the belt on my 2018 S became pretty much silent.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Crilly

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2019, 08:02:59 PM »

Wash belt in mild soap and water.

MBldc

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2019, 11:34:49 AM »

Perhaps the wider and stiffer belt used on the SR/F contributes to the noise.

I think so, also the resonance behaviour of the real stiff rear swingarm (which I like in comparison to the S/DS) and the storage compartment seems to amplify belt noise.
It is not the noise itself that sounds cheap (I really like the tie fighter like sound while accelerating  8)), it is more about the pulsating howl caused by tension variation while rotating under no load (which seems to be caused by not perfectly round pulleys).

Wash belt in mild soap and water.

I will try that. Thanks!
Zero SR/F
Pages: 1 [2]