• May 09, 2024, 04:12:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 2011 Zero DS work in progress being modded for the dirt..  (Read 2107 times)

trikester

• View Profile
Re: 2011 Zero DS work in progress being modded for the dirt..
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 10:47:55 PM »

I modified the rear wheel on my 2010 DS to a 17" rim, so I could use the Kenda K270 series DS tires on front and rear (front: 4.6", rear:5.1"). Those tires are not available in 16" They are much better in loose/sandy dirt and yet still perform well on pavement. They are DOT rated for street use.

I had to cut away a circular notch in the swing arm cross brace and weld an aluminum plate over the opening, to clear the bigger wheel and tire. I changed the rear sprocket to a larger size not only to compensate for the larger diameter but I went a little beyond that to gear it lower than it was stock, with the 16" wheel. On my 2010 model that required a 59 tooth sprocket.

Now that I have the 2012 DS I'm going to do the same modification.

Trikester

zap mc

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 05:07:29 PM »

you need to be careful about welding any alloy framework on the zero as i would assume the frame and swing are is annealed and heat treated after welding to remove any stresses. Remember what happened to the headstock of early MX's!
You will certainly void the warranty by doing that and zero will have an excuse to wriggle out of fixing the bike when it goes wrong.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 09:19:58 PM »

Yes, I know.
Pages: 1 [2]