• May 09, 2024, 05:03:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: First EV Zero - X-demo 16' or 2018?  (Read 598 times)

dbakes_01

• View Profile
First EV Zero - X-demo 16' or 2018?
« on: October 18, 2017, 11:12:00 PM »

Howdy,

I'm in the market to buy an ULEV bike. I'm crosshairing Zero as the answer as they seem to be the only viable, in-budget provider that have dealership in the UK. I used to ride a Kawasaki ER6N - the seat height was low (I'm 6'1 with 34" leg) but the riding position was upright enough to feel comfortable.

There's a few x-demo DSR and S 2016 models available in their stock configuration near me and I'm tempted by the DSR as it comes in at around £9k with subsidies applied. My reason being the range is better, seat height appears to be the highest available (I think? @ 843mm - which is a welcome jump from the 780mm I was on before) so I suspect this will be a good fit. My commute would be around 30 miles round trip, I guess I'm after peoples feedback who have made the transition? I'm concerned from what I've read about lack of accessories and the fact the battery can't be removed (which would be annoying as I can't charge at work), does anyone own a DSR and come from a similiar x-petrol bike? Is it worth spending more on a new 2018 model - the differences seem fairly minor 'cept the battery charge time improvements?

All thoughts and comments welcomed, I'd like to embrace the future and buy electric but I could have a nice big Harley roadster instead and own that for 4-5 years and probably still come under the overall cost of ULEV, hopefully battery tech will have improved moreso by 2020/21?

Dave

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
Re: First EV Zero - X-demo 16' or 2018?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 11:41:37 PM »

Have you tested either one?

Better range is better, you will want to ride more once you've ridden a Zero. 

Or, rapid charging capability is a good substitute for range unless you are in a charging no mans land-  I've hardly cared about range since I got the ability to charge 50% in 30 minutes, I charge early and often, enjoying different neighborhoods and familiarizing myself with charging options and updating plugshare and the charging meta-map.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 12:04:26 AM »

There have been no huge jumps from 2016 to 2018 - just incremental changes. If the price is OK then the 2016 is probably a good choice. Definitely test ride one if you can. Whereabouts in the UK are you?
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

dbakes_01

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 03:08:43 AM »

I live  in London but moving to Kent. I feel love the dsr is good value if it's under 10k but speaking to the dealerships they tell me the charge tank accessory isn't compatible with that year model? Not sure on the truth of this, they were referring to a S model but didn't say the dsr had any problem. What are the real maintenance charges on the first few years of ownership?

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 03:19:54 AM »

I can thoroughly recommend 21st Moto in Swanley, Kent where I got my FXS. They're probably the dealer nearest you. Definitely worth popping in, having a test ride and a chat. I don't know much about the charge tank I'm afraid.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

dbakes_01

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 03:11:31 PM »

Yeah they currently have an FXS X-Demo for sale for around 7k I think? What do you use for FXS for/hows the seat height? I really like the idea of them (particularly that the battery is removeable - do you find yourself removing the battery to charge elsewhere?). They also have a Zero S for a similar price. I'm going to test ride next weekend hopefully, but again, they were the dealers who mentioned the accessories problem with the 16' model range - something about the power/charge tanks not being compatable in the UK because they've not been converted or aren't available in our power standards?! Does this sound like nonsense?

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 07:57:55 PM »

Recommendations will all depend on your use of the bike.  I use my 2016 FXS almost exclusively for commuting 25 miles round trip.  I can't recharge at work, either, but it's not a problem.  I can comfortably do two round trips before re-charging, so I just charge overnight at home.  If you'll be doing more riding beyond your commute, the DSR will give you higher speed and a lot more range.  There's nothing in the 2018 lineup that has me itching for an upgrade, but the small updates are relevant for some people and worth the extra coin.
  I have the removable batteries in my bike, but have never taken them out.  I had considered charging at work, but never got past the thought of carrying two ~50 pound batteries into work and buying the chargers needed.  From what I've seen on the boards here, there are very few people that use offboard charging.
  My maintenance costs have been zero so far in 15 months and 6500 miles.  The only thing I've done is adjust the belt tension a couple of times in the garage.  The next maintenance items I see are brake fluid and tires, but that's a ways off yet.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 08:03:50 PM by domingo3 »
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

dbakes_01

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 04:56:11 PM »

Thanks for that Domingo. Do you take your XS off-road? Sounds like you have a similar commute to me, what made you pick that ride over the S or DSR? So the massively improved charge times, firmware upgrade via mobile aren't big draws for you guys? I am probably in the same boat (I would recharge over night) but the convenience of charging in 1-2hrs would be great and could make European touring more viable...

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 10:19:21 PM »

Thanks for that Domingo. Do you take your XS off-road? Sounds like you have a similar commute to me, what made you pick that ride over the S or DSR? So the massively improved charge times, firmware upgrade via mobile aren't big draws for you guys? I am probably in the same boat (I would recharge over night) but the convenience of charging in 1-2hrs would be great and could make European touring more viable...

I've taken it on some fire trails and through some grass and woods a few times, but it's not a regular hobby of mine.  The street tires aren't much good if things get muddy, but I don't want to swap out tires since 97% of my riding is on the streets.
  I am not particularly concerned about the mobile firmware upgrade.  In fact, if I ever take my bike back to the dealer, I'll probably expressly request that they don't upgrade the firmware.  I'm perfectly happy with how the bike works now, and would rather leave well enough alone.  While I haven't sought them out, I haven't seen a fast charger around where I live, and with other obligations, I don't really have a desire to go on any extended rides right now.  Plugging in at home is the perfect method of charging for me.
  I was actually quite set on getting an SR until I happened to demo the FXS and was surprised how much I liked it.  I really thought I'd be disappointed with the comparatively smaller bike, but it's so fun to ride being quite a bit lighter than the SR, it meets my range needs, and it certainly didn't hurt that it costs much less. 
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 10:24:38 PM »

I would at least take the 2018 DSR for a demo ride before you buy the 2016. 

The 2018 has just over 10% more battery for the same (actually 6 pounds less) weight from better battery design eliminating 4 end plates of 4 cellboxes as now its just 2 longbricks.

The 2018 also has 20% more amps out of the controller, 775 vs 660 and so will be faster

Also the 2018 has a wider stronger belt, which is totally worth it if you've ever snapped the belt on one.

Also the 2018 will be compatible with the new 6 kW factory charge tank if you would ever want that option.

All things considered if you can afford it, it is the way to go.  If you owe a lot of people money and are struggling financially, the 2016 DSR will do the job, just not as advanced.   But 2018 if you can make it work.

100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry
Pages: [1]