Tech > Parts, Mods And Hacks

How I did my seat quick-release

<< < (2/6) > >>

BrianTRice@gmail.com:
I like this idea for a number of reasons!

So, if I understand right, this anchors end of the seat pan to the rear rack. I'm hopeful that this could help stabilize the rear rack (more than the tab does). I also like that this (apparently) doesn't require destructively modifying any of the OEM plastics.

Did you have to remove and re-attach the vinyl in order to fasten the bracket to the seat pan? How did you get that fastening set up?

Thanks for the photos; I'll try to queue this for the manual, although I may wind up trying it first since I'm getting really bothered by the difficulty of accessing my OBD-II port lately.

BrianTRice@gmail.com:
Bless McMaster-Carr for having a very similar hinge listed with a drawing:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#13125a51/=198pd7z

DonTom:

--- Quote from: BrianTRice on September 05, 2017, 03:15:50 AM ---Did you have to remove and re-attach the vinyl in order to fasten the bracket to the seat pan? How did you get that fastening set up?
--- End quote ---
Yes. Remove the two tiny Phillips screws and remove the small piece of vinyl. Put it back after you have the rack hinge mounted.

-Don-  Reno, NV

DonTom:

--- Quote from: BrianTRice on September 05, 2017, 03:18:05 AM ---Bless McMaster-Carr for having a very similar hinge listed with a drawing:

--- End quote ---
As long as the bend in it is at the exact same place and same amount. I will compare the measurements to mine later.

I made one very minor improvement today. I added a screw at the end of the bracket on the seat. The reason I did this is because sometimes, when I go  to put the seat back on, the one screw would let  the bracket to move a little when I tried to line it up. The second screw (also not tight) holds the bracket in place perfectly. This makes it easier to get the seat back on the bike.

At this point,l I don't think any improvements can be made (but suggestions are always welcome!). The seat is very easy to get off and on in just seconds and the seat bracket now holds perfectly in place.

To reinstall the seat, the rear of the seat has to be installed first, past the bracket on the trunk.

-Don-  Reno, NV

DonTom:

--- Quote from: BrianTRice on September 05, 2017, 03:18:05 AM ---Bless McMaster-Carr for having a very similar hinge listed with a drawing:

--- End quote ---
Looks like that will NOT work:

"Pin Type   Nonremovable"

The pin has to be removed! With the hitch I used, the pin is  held in only by gravity.    The Clevis pin MUST go in it's place.

Unfortunately, I cannot find the package for my hinges. I bought them years ago when I was fixing a gate, but they never got used on the gate.  But I can look for them in Home Depo and Lowe's and post a model number or whatever. All I see on my hinge is the name "Stanley".

This here looks like the hinge I am using.  It also explains how I found two of them in my garage!

-Don-  Reno, NV

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version