• May 07, 2024, 01:30:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Efficiency between gear ratios  (Read 1048 times)

RNM

• View Profile
Efficiency between gear ratios
« on: March 14, 2015, 09:51:22 PM »

Hey guys!

Can you comment about the higher torque gearing that Zero offers and range?
I'm planning on using a 2014 DS mainly on highway at ˜90km/h (56mph) and really don't care if topspeed is slower... But I care about range.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Efficiency between gear ratios
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 10:17:56 PM »

I'd estimate that you'll get more of a range bump from the commuter windscreen (getting your body out of the airstream) than from changing the gearing ratio.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Falco

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 10:38:06 PM »

Hi,
I myself do not have the higher torque gearing option on my zero but given the speed you wish to travel, I doubt you will notice any change in range given how electic motors work. The standard gearing on your zero was designed to be the best effeciency over the speed limits normally encounted. The topspeed of the bike is achieved using afeature called 'flux weakening'. This is a feature of the controller. It increases motor speed(rpm) at the sacrifice of effeciency and motor torque. This happens above 4000rpm till 'redline' at around 6000rpm. Changing the gear ratio for more torque will increase motor rpm for a given speed and when over taking vehicles in 'spirited bursts' will result in decresed effeciency. when cruising at 90km/h the motor is in its peak effeciency zone and pulling no more power than needed to maintain its speed. Electric motors are nothing like petrol engines which are at best 40% effecient and only at a certain speed. The zero motor is around 94% effecient. Hope this helps  :)

RNM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 06:59:45 AM »

Thanks for comments Brian and Falco ;)
Pages: [1]