• May 09, 2024, 01:07:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Level 3 charging for the Home  (Read 1008 times)

Specter

• View Profile
Level 3 charging for the Home
« on: March 14, 2023, 09:47:30 PM »

Ive been looking for a decent level 3 charger for the home here, one that can handle say 20 KW maybe up to 40 KW, but run on 240 VAC single phase input.

I found a company and I am talking back and forth with them about a few models that look VERY enticing.

Has anyone heard of the company SETEC Power, and are they reliable?  What are your dealings with them.

Thank you
Aaron

ultrarnr

• View Profile
Re: Level 3 charging for the Home
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 03:22:56 AM »

Aaron,

I used this system from SETEC: https://www.evseadapters.com/products/portable-chademo-ccs-combo-dc-quick-charger/

It worked well for charging my Ribelle at 6 kw at home. With a 300 volt system 6kw is best it could do.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 03:50:45 AM »

that is one of the ones I am looking at here, and I am also looking at their 20 KW unit as well which would get me 12 KW.  which the bike could also easily handle.    Unfortunately those are the only two that will run on our 240 VAC, although you could find transformers that will take 240 to 480, used for 500 dollars or so in the 30kva - 45 kva range which would suffice for a larger charging unit to run on 240vac, albeit with probably 6 to 8 percent losses.

Id really like to be able to charge the bike AT a 20KW rate, but these chargers by their amp .vs. volt, won't give you that.

TY for the info though.  At least I have some input that the unit itself is a decent item, albeit a bit small for my needs.

Aaron

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 12:04:01 PM »

My previous dealing with Setec have been positive. Have used both their small 6kWh and larger 20kWh units without issue. As there is no communication to a server or payment verification as with DC fast chargers from companies like EVGO of Charge Point the handshake between the bike and the charger is much simpler. Just plug the cable in and hit start on the touch screen.

Their 10kWh (actually 6kWh) unit is the only one that is designed to work with standard single phase 240V. All their other units require 3 phase power. If you have a 3 phase feed or the spare Amps to run a transformer it should work.

Curious why you want to charge so quickly at home? Normally DC charging is reserved for longer rides or road trips.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 01:46:38 AM »

Demoni, thank you for the inputs.

I think I mentioned in another thread.  Im looking for something that I can take on the road with me too, since technically it *is* portable.  Im also looking at, for now, the details are in the 'formation' stage but a potential business venture or a 'deal' with another friend that we could offer some sort of public charge point, but not have to spend 8 grand for a 480 transformer drop and the power company hookup.

im talking to their engineers, and they are saying that they CAN make one for me for my specs.  Their main concern was getting the power to it.  I have 240 VAC, but the wiring coming into my house, the XFMR con block is down in my yard a few feet. I can push 240 volt, 400 amp service here easily if I need it !  Currently, I have 200 Amp service to the house which WOULD easily handle a 30 kw charger.  I also have a 'hot' transformer that is pushing about 245 volts.  If I run stuff thru my inverters with the solar pounding on it I can push it past 250 if I want.  (generally don't like it that  high but it IS possible when im tinkering with stuff)

yes yes I know, the charge rate is all tied to the ASS end of the charger and it's amps, but here, im just saying I can push the front end as hard as needed to have a tight ass on it !! :)

anyways, I also, down the road I plan on getting an electric truck as well, which will take a LOT more power.  Being able to fast charge would be nice.   

I also have another business venture that I do as well, and having something 'extra' that you could put up that might draw people there, is always a good thing.  ie..

Hey, north florida has shit for charging stations.  We got one here,  come stop by, check out the farm, or check out the coffee shop, and grab a quick bit of a charge while you are at it.  (and hopefully NOT have to deal with all the bullshit of, well im not a member of their network, well will my card work, well can my car talk to it, bla bla).

Here's another nerd idea.

Think of packing a trailer with something like this, and 100kw or so of battery storage, possibly a lot more.  Throw some inverters in it and you got portable power for an emergency station during a disaster,  emergency water generation, emergency communications power, I park this smallish trailer in your driveway, you jack in and you got power for the house for several days potentially.  You got stuck on the road,well I can bring some KW to jump you and get you to a full bore station, or home... another idea.

Charging it, well that's another Idea I got.  anything works!

I like to think of future possibilities when I get stuff and plan for it, not just what I currently need right now.  Any way you look at it, a DC charger is a bit of cash, what else can I possibly do with it?   I always shoot to potentially grow IN to the full potential of something, rather than grow out of it and have to get newer / more capacity etc a year or two down the road.

Not to mention, I like tinkering with stuff,  I'll leave it with that.

Aaron

Twinman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2023, 01:38:07 PM »

Has anyone found an alternative to SETEC available in EU ?
Their 10kw portable EV  at USD 2300 is ok but they ship only from China and I expect some costly shipping + tax ...

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2023, 10:45:46 PM »

Reach out to them, they might be able to help a bit with that.

Aaron
Pages: [1]